Re: [300polishsquadron] Re: airmen who returned to Poland

  • Tomasz Szczerbicki
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 2008
      Hello

      "Na skrzydlach RAF" is availble in publisher:

      cost of book is 8 zl (about 4 $), shipping cost in Poland is next 8 zl.

      Best wishes
      Tomasz Szczerbicki

      From: lucyna.artymiuk@ bigpond.com
      Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 13:22:34 +0000

      Thanks Piotr - I knew I could count on you

      the Tolo book I just bought

      are the others in print and where can I get copies - I am in Warszawa
      to Wednesday so two more shopping days available

      Lucyna

      --- In 300polishsquadron@ yahoogroups. com, Maggie & Peter Sikora
      <m.p.sikora@ ...> wrote:

      > Hi Lucyna
      > "Medalowe wzloty'' - Tadeusz Gora`s story by Chwalczyk, "Zraniony
      Skrzydlo'' - by Edward Jaworski (his own story) , "Tolo muszkieter z
      Dywizjonu 303" Witold Lokuciewski story by Bozena
      Gostkowska, "Stanislaw Skalski'' by Katarzyna Ochabska and few others.
      > Regards
      > Peter
      >

      > To: 300polishsquadron@ ...: lucyna.artymiuk@ ...: Sun, 31 Aug 2008
      11:49:11 +0000Subject: [300polishsquadron] airmen who returned to
      Poland

      > Does anyone know of any books or biographies of Polish airmen who
      returned to Poland and what happened to them?who was responsible for
      their resettlement in Poland?did they receive any financial or
      material assistance?Lucyna

      > Get Hotmail on your mobile from Vodafone
      > http://clk.atdmt. com/UKM/go/ 107571435/ direct/01/

      Get fish-slapping on Messenger! Play Now

    • Frances Gates
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 9, 2008

        Hi group

        A warm welcome to Franek who joined the group recently and also to Wojtek.

        I have been lucky to meet Franek on a couple of occasions and to benefit from his knowledge of the history of Polish Air Force.
        Hi Franek - I'm still trying to make contact with Mosquito pilot, hopefully it will be soon.

        Hi Lucyna, welcome back to Australia. It was very interesting to read about your amazing trip - and to hear about your feelings while following in your father's footsteps.

        I too did a similar trip to Poland in 2004, when I also travelled to Lwow where my father was born - also to Stanisławow (now Ivano Frankivsk) where he was first imprisoned by the Russians after his arrest in October 1939. We crossed the bridge at Kuty into what was Romania during the war, (now Ukraine) where many people, including many air force personnel had crossed in order to leave Poland.  My father had been arrested while crossing this bridge on the train and it is difficult to adequately describe how I felt at this time.

        The Warsaw Uprising commemorations that year, 2004 - the 60th anniversary, were spectacular. Smoke poured out of windows of a nearby building (intentionally) during presentations by the President, the President of Warsaw and visiting foreign politicians including Gordon Brown and Gerhard Schroeder. These special effects added to the emotional nature of the events during those few days.

        On a lighter note - I also found it was incredibly amazing to sit in A.Blikle's cafe in Nowy Swiat eating szarlotka and sipping coffee  -knowing that my father had enjoyed coffee there before the war - oh, and I'm sure he also enjoyed those wonderful pastries.

        Believe me -  nothing comes close to the feelings experienced by visiting Poland and finding family. Especially for me, as my father's aircraft was shot down by Luftwaffe over Poland while delivering supplies to the Warsaw Uprising in 1944. I was 11 months old.

        My father and his crew still still have no named graves - but that's another story.

        Best wishes

        Frances Gates

        PS Lucyna, if this message bounces from the group, can you post it for me.

      • Lucyna Artymiuk
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 9, 2008

          Frances

          According to the Krzystek list remains of your fathers plane were found at  Banica pod Gładyszowem

          Omylak Franciszek Kazimierz                         14.09.1907    † 28.08.1944 37  kpt. / F.Lt               Nawigator                       1586ESP
                          >1944 zginął - RAF Brindisi-„Halifax”-JP495- specjalny lot bojowy do Polski z pomocą dla powstania

          Warszawskiego. Samolot prawdopodobnie zestrzelony do Morza Adriatyckiego, Cała załoda zginęła.

           Po czasie szczątki samolotu zostały odnalezione w miejscowości Banica pod Gładyszowem Polska.

          I also spent some time at Bickles but eating their paczki.  They now have chain of their stores throught Warszawa – as does the other Polish gastrenomical icon Wedel.

          I would also love to visit Kuty as well as Balchic from where my father caught a ship on the way to France .  Not to mention the town where they were interned in in Romania

          I can only reiternate --- to the descendants that can travel --  go on such a pilgrimage in the footsteps of your fathers and grandfathers.  It will be an experience of a life time.

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 9, 2008
            It is a veeeryyy looong stooory!!!
          • Lucyna Artymiuk
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 9, 2008

              Shot oveer the adriatic and remains found in Poland ?

              Mysteriouser and mysteriouser!!!!!!!!!

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 9, 2008

                Hi Lucyna

                It's interesting to know that the Banica site is on the Krzystek list.  Yes I know about it - and have visited Banica and nearby Krzywa where the my father and his crew were buried when their Halifax JP 295 crashed

                As I said, it is a long story - but briefly in 1980 two (2) bodies from the Halifax crew of seven (7) were exhumed from the cemetary in Krzywa and buried in Rakowice Cemetary in Krakow.

                Incredibly the two men were buried  under the names of two crew from another crash site 30km away.  This other crash site at Olszyny was where a Liberator EW 275 crashed 10 days before but only five bodies were found after this crash. These five men were buried in Krakow.

                IAs described -  in 1980, the two bodies were removed from the graves of the Halifax crew and buried in Krakow he to complete the seven-man crew of the Liberator. The names of the two missing Liberator crew were placed on this grave thus completing the Liberator burial.  I have seen the graves myself.

                This mistake has not been officially acknowledged by the Polish Government even though an excavation at the Banica site was carried out two years ago, (2006,) by a group from Krakow Polytechnic and initiated by the regional government. The aircraft remains found during the excavation have been identified by the RAF Museum in Hendon as being Halifax. My father's aircraft is the only Halifax unaccounted for on the night of the crash, also Luftwaffe records show the pilot responsible for the shoot down.

                I could go on - there are witnesses to the Banica crash who are still alive.  I have met one - who was a small boy when the Halifax crashed in Banica.

                As I said Lucyna, it's a long story. My family and I are waiting for the ending.

                Cheers