Please welcome our new member

  • Lucyna Artymiuk
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5, 2006
      Caroline

      could you please tell us something more about yourself and your parents.

      where are you located and what did your parents do in the squadron and where did they eventually settle.

      and welcome to our group

      Lucyna

      Hello - My name is Caroline. my father was one of the first to come
      over from Poland to form 300 squadron. My mother also served with 300
      squadron
      I was delighted to find this site.

    • dancecaro@lineone.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 6, 2006
        Hi Lucyan

        I live in Hampshire, England and my parents now live near Coventry. Dad
        (Dominik Mendela)was already in the forces at the start of the war and came
        over to England via Hungary, Rumania, Malta and France eventually arriving
        in Southampton. He was sent to South Cerney and then Bramscote to compleate
        training and then to 300 squadron as a pilot. Although he would never talk
        about the war years when we were younger, lately he has been happy to share
        his memories with us. The stories he tells bring those years to life for
        me ...

        Mum ('Miki' Mitchell) Joined the RAF and after basic training was posted
        to 300 squadron where she used (amongst other duties) to take the crews and
        the payloads out to the aircrafts. She remembers those years with a surprising
        fondness. As she explains, although times were hard, there was a strong
        sense of bonding and because of the uncertainty surrounding everything life
        was lived to the full. She has always felt that the Polish Airforce did
        not get the recognition it deserved and will be delighted when I tell her
        about this group.

        Between them they have several albums of photos from the war years, and I
        have the privalage of keeping dads log book. They never met during their
        time in the squadron as mum was assigned to B flight and Dad to A flight
        but over 60 years later are still hapily together.

        Caroline

        Tiscali Broadband from 14.99 with free setup!
      • Lucyna Artymiuk
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 6, 2006
          Dear Caroline

          I would suggest that you explore some of the photos and links on our
          website. You are also welcome to download some of your own photos there.
          Its amazing how the internet links people. The net linked me with the
          children of an aircrew mate of my fathers. They both flew B for Barbara
          Plane. Also there is another son of one of my fathers friends in this
          group. On another email group I bumped into another son of my fathers
          friend from the local Polish Airforce Association - Peter Tamowicz.

          I am also fortunate to have my fathers log book and also his jacket and
          medals. We are very fortunate to know something of our fathers military
          history. I met a lady recently (in her 50s) and she had photos of her
          father in uniform but knew absolutely nothing of his past - he never told
          his wife or children. I recognised the uniform and insignia and was able to
          tell her that her father was in the Carpathian Brigade. Poor Danusia has
          nothing apart from two photos. No medals - no stories - and despite both
          parents being Polish - her Polish is virtually non existent. I am at the
          moment trying to teach her Polish and draw out the residue of her childhood
          Polish.

          I am so fortunate to have at least something more.

          Lucyna
          > I live in Hampshire, England and my parents now live near Coventry. Dad
          > (Dominik Mendela)was already in the forces at the start of the war and
          > came
          > over to England via Hungary, Rumania, Malta and France eventually arriving
          > in Southampton. He was sent to South Cerney and then Bramscote to
          > compleate
          > training and then to 300 squadron as a pilot. Although he would never
          > talk
          > about the war years when we were younger, lately he has been happy to
          > share
          > his memories with us. The stories he tells bring those years to life for
          > me ...
          >
          > Mum ('Miki' Mitchell) Joined the RAF and after basic training was posted
          > to 300 squadron where she used (amongst other duties) to take the crews
          > and
          > the payloads out to the aircrafts. She remembers those years with a
          > surprising
          > fondness. As she explains, although times were hard, there was a strong
          > sense of bonding and because of the uncertainty surrounding everything
          > life
          > was lived to the full. She has always felt that the Polish Airforce did
          > not get the recognition it deserved and will be delighted when I tell her
          > about this group.
          >
          > Between them they have several albums of photos from the war years, and I
          > have the privalage of keeping dads log book. They never met during their
          > time in the squadron as mum was assigned to B flight and Dad to A flight
          > but over 60 years later are still hapily together.
          >
          > Caroline

          > Tiscali Broadband from 14.99 with free setup!
          > http://www.tiscali.co.uk/products/broadband/
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Lucyna Artymiuk
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 12, 2006
            My father Zenon Krzeptowski escaped from Poland in 1939 and later came
            to UK where he joined the PAF 303 Squadron of the RAF. He joined the RAF
            after the war and married an English girl.

            PLEASE TELL THE GROUP SOMETHING MORE ABOUT YOURSELF AND YOUR INTERESTS.

            WELCOME

            LUCYNA

          • Jonathan Hoseason
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 13, 2006
              My name is Jonathan and my father flew with 303
              Squadron during the war. I am married with two boys,
              and my main hobby is sailing.

              My father was Zenon Krzeptowski. He was born in Nowy
              Targ in 1922. By the time he escaped from Poland in
              1940 as a 18 year old, he was living with his parents
              and two sisters in Zakopane. He had been a member of
              the Army Auxilliary Service and at the outbreak of the
              war he joined the ZWZ or the Zwiazek Walki Zbrojnej
              (the Union for Armed Struggle) underground movement.

              He joined the Polish Independant Carpathian Rifle
              Brigade Artillery Regiment as a despatch rider in
              Palestine in 1941. After about 10 months, he was
              transferred to the Polish Airforce Headquarters in the
              Middle East on 29th October 1941.

              He officially arrived in the United Kingdom on 25th
              January 1942. He was sent to the Polish Airforce Depot
              at Blackpool and RAF Station Kirkham just in time to
              celebrate his Twentieth birthday. He was posted to 303
              Sqadron of the Polish Air Force in the RAF. He married
              an English girl after the war and transferred to the
              Royal Air Force. He was RAF Ski Champion in the late
              1940's, as you might expect from someone brought up in
              Zakopane. In 1960 whilst only a week away from
              retirement, he was killed in a flying accident with
              seven other RAF officers. I was only 8 years old.

              I have visited Poland twice, and hope to go again very
              soon. I have a huge number of relations in Poland who
              have been kind enough to try to bring me within the
              Polish family.

              For those of you who might have relations who were in
              303 Squadron, my brother's web site has a lot of names
              of fellow officers which you might find interesting.

              The web site (www.polandinexile.com) is stricty
              personal and dedicated to some of the stories that he
              has discovered over the years. It is his personal
              hobby, and in no way commercial.

              If your families have stories to tell, then he will be
              only too pleased to include them. The site includes
              the story of our father's escape, and another section
              on his flying.

              Jonathan