722McCash-style Crack Taters

  • mccashcustoms
    Nov 24, 2013
      In case I die heroically while saving children from a building fire, or my body is found in a dumpster behind the mall in Temecula (even if I write a note, it is STILL murder!) the recipe for Crack Taters should not die with me. I now entrust its savory genius to you all, expecting that you will use it wisely, share it selectively, and that I TOTALLY get credit for their invention, LOL.  ;)

      So, McCash-style Crack Taters:

      1 bag of Fresh n Easy Baby California Baby Gold potatoes (if you substitute with a larger potato, you can cut it into 1"-1.5" chunks. The baby taters from Fresh and Easy are just so finger-food-shaped for events.) Also, I have never made just one bag. That's ridiculous.

      1 packet of Lipton (dry) Onion soup mix (this:http://thesouthinmymouth.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/lipton.jpg)

      1 packet of Laura Scudders (dry) Toasted Onion dip mix (this: http://static.caloriecount.about.com/images/medium/laura-scudders-dip-mix-10669.jpg)

      2 small cubes of Knorr Garlic (this: http://www.foodservicedirect.com/productimages/OT515414S.jpg you need ONE box, and it will last you for quite awhile.)

      uh, "some" olive oil

      Preheat to 350 degrees.

      1. Dump the potatoes into an 8 by 8 microwave-safe/glass baking pan, and stab the little buggers with a fork so they won't explode all over the microwave. (If you cut chunks from a larger potato, you don't need to stab.)

      2. Nuke em for like... 4 minutes (they should not be exploding, you should stand there and listen.)

      3. Transfer them to a 9 by 12 glass baking pan (I don't know why glass, I just like them better.) Drizzle olive oil and toss to coat.

      4. Dump the dip mix over the taters and crunch up the two garlic cubes over everything, then  toss to coat. Then sprinkle the onion mix over the top (try not to toss at this point, as the big chunks in the soup mix tend to burn when they spend all their time on the bottom of the pan. I don't know why, but I'm sure science has some explanation.)

      5. Bake at 350 degrees for like... 30 minutes (I always forget, it is different every time) until at LEAST fork-tender. Leave them in longer and they get that wrinkly skin/ roasted texture. (I think the firmer potatoes travel to events better, personally, but then I have food texture issues and cold, wet, wrinkled potatoes would freak me out, LOL.) You can push 'em around a few times to even things out while they cook.

      If you find a variation in ingredients or method, please share. I am just making this stuff up, and will not take offense at suggestions. :) -McCash