Forwarding - "My Response"

  • Milan Drake
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2006

      Another response to "Should I Leave or Stay?" Moving out of the hood for the sake of self and or family

      Here's my reaction.

      First of all, I would like to emphasize the situation of Sodom and Gomorrah. I think the first response did a great job in bringing that point up, and I would like to note that Abraham made a very significant impact on what happened in that story.  Although the area was still destroyed, Abraham was able to bargain with God and eventually saved Lot and his family.  The reason I bring this up is because Abraham himself was not actually in Sodom/Gomorrah.  Genesis 18:1 explains that Abraham was actually 'near the great trees of Mamre', which is just outside of Hebron, not Sodom or Gomorrah.  Throughout the chapter, phrases such as "Abraham LOOKED DOWN ON Sodom and Gomorrah" emphasizes that he was not actually in the city. Abraham was able to make a significant impact on the outcome of that city (or those cities; I'm not sure what is proper- was it one city or 2?) even though he was not actually there.
      I would also like to cite one scripture for you to think about:

      'The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it'- Proverbs 27:12

      Before I tried to analyze this scripture, I looked up prudent and refuge in the dictionary.  Here is what I came up with:

      PRUDENT: 1. wise or judicious in practical affairs; sagacious; discreet or circumspect; sober.  2. careful in providing for the future; provident: a prudent decision.

      REFUGE: 1. shelter or protection from danger, trouble, etc.: to take refuge from a storm. 2. a place of shelter, protection, or safety.  3. anything to which one has recourse for aid, relief, or escape.

      From this, I feel that the scripture is saying that YOU SEE DANGER, YOU LEAVE.  The situation at home is definitely something I would consider to be dangerous, so you should leave.  You can still make a difference while being smart, or wise as the scripture says.  Like the first response says, pray on it, and it will be revealed to you.

      The Jabez Project
      Where Education Meets Hip-Hop!
      PO Box 71041
      Oakland, CA 94619
      "Neither we, nor any other people will ever be respected till we respect ourselves, and we will never respect ourselves till we have the means to live respectably."
      Frederick Douglass, Hip-Hop Activist (1818 - 1895)