Adaptive sailing

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2, 2013
      I've never sailed a 2.4mR. I have sailed and raced boats for thirty-something years, first monohulls and then about ten years on my Corsair trimaran. About 2.5 years ago a bike accident left me paralyzed from the armpits down. My arms are strong but I have very little hand grip. Clearly the athleticism of Corsair sailing, which I enjoyed, is now out of my league. I've been on the water since, but I've been little more than baggage. So that brings me to the 2.4mR. I realize that they are sailed by both able bodied (AB's in my world) and disabled sailors, but I'm not clear about the modifications to accommodate someone like me.

      Are disability modified boats readily available? If so, where?

      If I buy a standard boat, are the modifications documented well enough that all I need is a checkbook and some craftsmen to make it happen?

      Thank you for any guidance you can provide.

      Paul
      Austin, TX
    • Dennis Peck
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3, 2013
        Paul my number is 941-456-8542, there are possibilities, if you want to try it fly here and I will put you in one to test and see what your needs are, I make a seat that should fit your purpose or can make it that way.
        Dennis

        Message 3 of 7 , May 3, 2013
          HI Paul, good questions. There is a great sailor from Norway that sails with no arms, mostly his teeth! It is difficult to beat him in a regatta and has a room full of trophies. His strength is that he is well practiced and has adapted the boat to his needs. So yes it can be done. The top US disabled Sailor only has one hand, but a strong one. That said, I think arm strength is important if you don't have hand strength. There are ways of pulling lines by taking a few wraps around your hand and then pulling with your arm.
          Steering can be a little more complicated as it is done either with a tiller or with foot pedals. If foot pedals are out for you, then you will need to use a tiller which is directly in front of you within easy reach.

          If you want to try a boat for 3 or four days, there is a regatta in Chicago at the end of July for disabled sailors called the NACC. They will fly you up there and give you a boat to use and supply you all the help you need. It is a fantastic event. Here is a link to it
          http://www.chicagoyachtclub.org/Default.aspx?p=DynamicModule&pageid=366061&ssid=277356&vnf=1

          --- In 24mRsailors@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <paulhorton52@...> wrote:

          > I've never sailed a 2.4mR. I have sailed and raced boats for thirty-something years, first monohulls and then about ten years on my Corsair trimaran. About 2.5 years ago a bike accident left me paralyzed from the armpits down. My arms are strong but I have very little hand grip. Clearly the athleticism of Corsair sailing, which I enjoyed, is now out of my league. I've been on the water since, but I've been little more than baggage. So that brings me to the 2.4mR. I realize that they are sailed by both able bodied (AB's in my world) and disabled sailors, but I'm not clear about the modifications to accommodate someone like me.
          >
          > Are disability modified boats readily available? If so, where?
          >
          > If I buy a standard boat, are the modifications documented well enough that all I need is a checkbook and some craftsmen to make it happen?
          >
          > Thank you for any guidance you can provide.
          >
          > Paul
          > Austin, TX

        • Paul
          Message 4 of 7 , May 4, 2013
            Thanks for the prompt and informative responses. I'll see what I can learn these contacts this week.

            Paul

            --- In 24mRsailors@yahoogroups.com, "rclew4u" <rclew4u@...> wrote:

            > HI Paul, good questions. There is a great sailor from Norway that sails with no arms, mostly his teeth! It is difficult to beat him in a regatta and has a room full of trophies. His strength is that he is well practiced and has adapted the boat to his needs. So yes it can be done. The top US disabled Sailor only has one hand, but a strong one. That said, I think arm strength is important if you don't have hand strength. There are ways of pulling lines by taking a few wraps around your hand and then pulling with your arm.
            > Steering can be a little more complicated as it is done either with a tiller or with foot pedals. If foot pedals are out for you, then you will need to use a tiller which is directly in front of you within easy reach.
            >
            > If you want to try a boat for 3 or four days, there is a regatta in Chicago at the end of July for disabled sailors called the NACC. They will fly you up there and give you a boat to use and supply you all the help you need. It is a fantastic event. Here is a link to it
            > http://www.chicagoyachtclub.org/Default.aspx?p=DynamicModule&pageid=366061&ssid=277356&vnf=1
            >
            > --- In 24mRsailors@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <paulhorton52@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I've never sailed a 2.4mR. I have sailed and raced boats for thirty-something years, first monohulls and then about ten years on my Corsair trimaran. About 2.5 years ago a bike accident left me paralyzed from the armpits down. My arms are strong but I have very little hand grip. Clearly the athleticism of Corsair sailing, which I enjoyed, is now out of my league. I've been on the water since, but I've been little more than baggage. So that brings me to the 2.4mR. I realize that they are sailed by both able bodied (AB's in my world) and disabled sailors, but I'm not clear about the modifications to accommodate someone like me.
            > >
            > > Are disability modified boats readily available? If so, where?
            > >
            > > If I buy a standard boat, are the modifications documented well enough that all I need is a checkbook and some craftsmen to make it happen?
            > >
            > > Thank you for any guidance you can provide.
            > >
            > > Paul
            > > Austin, TX

          • Nick Bryan-Brown
            Message 5 of 7 , May 4, 2013
              Paul
              I too had made a gradual evolution from Cosair to 2.4. Did you sail the Corsair Nationals? Although the 2.4 is different from a fast multihull in many obvious ways it still offers some very challenging and exciting sailing. I have enjoyed the boat and would highly recomend to a challenged sailor.
              Nick BB

              Thanks for the prompt and informative responses. I'll see what I can learn these contacts this week.

              Paul

              --- In 24mRsailors@yahoogroups.com, "rclew4u" <rclew4u@...> wrote:

              > HI Paul, good questions. There is a great sailor from Norway that sails with no arms, mostly his teeth! It is difficult to beat him in a regatta and has a room full of trophies. His strength is that he is well practiced and has adapted the boat to his needs. So yes it can be done. The top US disabled Sailor only has one hand, but a strong one. That said, I think arm strength is important if you don't have hand strength. There are ways of pulling lines by taking a few wraps around your hand and then pulling with your arm.
              > Steering can be a little more complicated as it is done either with a tiller or with foot pedals. If foot pedals are out for you, then you will need to use a tiller which is directly in front of you within easy reach.
              >
              > If you want to try a boat for 3 or four days, there is a regatta in Chicago at the end of July for disabled sailors called the NACC. They will fly you up there and give you a boat to use and supply you all the help you need. It is a fantastic event. Here is a link to it
              > http://www.chicagoyachtclub.org/Default.aspx?p=DynamicModule&pageid=366061&ssid=277356&vnf=1
              >
              > --- In 24mRsailors@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <paulhorton52@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I've never sailed a 2.4mR. I have sailed and raced boats for thirty-something years, first monohulls and then about ten years on my Corsair trimaran. About 2.5 years ago a bike accident left me paralyzed from the armpits down. My arms are strong but I have very little hand grip. Clearly the athleticism of Corsair sailing, which I enjoyed, is now out of my league. I've been on the water since, but I've been little more than baggage. So that brings me to the 2.4mR. I realize that they are sailed by both able bodied (AB's in my world) and disabled sailors, but I'm not clear about the modifications to accommodate someone like me.
              > >
              > > Are disability modified boats readily available? If so, where?
              > >
              > > If I buy a standard boat, are the modifications documented well enough that all I need is a checkbook and some craftsmen to make it happen?
              > >
              > > Thank you for any guidance you can provide.
              > >
              > > Paul
              > > Austin, TX

            • Paul
              Message 6 of 7 , May 8, 2013
                Nick,
                Yes, I sailed in most Corsair Nationals between 2002 and 2009, some on my Corsair 31 Tribology, and some as crew on other boats. It was always a fun time in Pensacola or Ft Walton.
                Paul

                --- In 24mRsailors@yahoogroups.com, Nick Bryan-Brown <nbbre@...> wrote:

                > Paul
                > I too had made a gradual evolution from Cosair to 2.4. Did you sail the Corsair Nationals? Although the 2.4 is different from a fast multihull in many obvious ways it still offers some very challenging and exciting sailing. I have enjoyed the boat and would highly recomend to a challenged sailor.
                > Nick BB

              • Nick Bryan-Brown
                Message 7 of 7 , May 8, 2013
                  Paul
                  I had a F31 "Tempest" and did nationals in 2004.
                  nick BB