AW: AW: 2120: recording question

  • ik@vhit.de
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 30, 2001
      http://www.amptone.com/demeterssc1.htm - Demeter Silent Speaker Chamber
      http://www.amptone.com/randallisolation.htm - Randall - Isolation

    • Arjan de Jong
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 30, 2001
        I heard a sample of the J-Station made by Ingwie Malmsteen: http://pd.net/yngwie/equipment/gearhead.html
        I was rather impressed! I planned to try this thing in the near future.

        Currently a use a Digitech RP100 for making sound samples. The RP100 is pretty good (concerning the price you pay for it), specially when using distorted Marshall sounds.

        Arjan.

        > Yeah, I have a j-station, but I'm not too incredibly happy with the tone you
        > get.
        However, I really wish I had Yamaha's little cabinet emulator, which I

        think is called the G stomp, or something like that. I've heard some sound
        > samples of it and it rocks the j-station and the POD as well. The
        j-station
        > just sounds too thin and muddy to me, and it lacks character
        to its sound,
        > no matter what you're trying to emulate. I guess if I
        fooled around enough
        > with my 2120's eq I may be able to get a better
        sound. So far I've only used
        > the same eq that I normally use with my
        amp. Anyway, that's my j-station
        > opinion.

        Kevin

        href="mailto:todd@...">todd@...>
        color=#000080>drawnon@...>
        href="mailto:2120@...-dod.com">2120@...-dod.com>
        > >Subject: Re: 2120: recording question
        > >Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 11:11:53 -0600
        > >
        > >I can't wait
        to hear the responses this question. I believe you can not get
        good sound without a speaker. If I needed to be quiet at 3am I would put
        > >a  12" in a large coleman ice chest and shut it tight...
        > >
        > >JameZ wrote:
        > >
        > > > high list,
        > > > i have a recording question. i built my self a pro tools studio and
        this
        > > > is my problem. when i plug my 2120 direct into pro tools,
        it sounds like
        > > > crap. i play heavy music and use tons of
        distortion. i know every guitar
        > > > player on this list (when we
        were young and silly) plugged their
        > > > practice amp into dads
        home stereo speakers to see how it sounded. well
        > > > it sounded
        like crap, and that's the sound i get going direct to pro

        tools. i can get it to sound,"ok" with different eq settings. ive tried
        > > > running it through my mixer and with a bbe maximiser and it still
        sounds
        > > > like home stereo speaker crap. i get a great sound when
        i mic my cab, i
        > > > got a killer rig: 2120-->bbe
        maximiser-->behringer mx2004a-->carver
        > > > pm300-->mesa
        boogie half back 4x12-->rivera los lobottom. i use event

        ps5 monitor speakers for pro tools, every thing is wired with monster
        > > > cables, and all my guitars have emg 81's. but that wont cut it a 3 am.
        > > > was thinking of checking out a johnson j station because of
        the spdif
        > > > option. does anyone else on this list use a j
        station? i wanted to get
        > > > some opinions before i drove 45 miles
        and spent $150.00
        > > > thanks in advance

        JameZ
        > > > ===================< DigiTech 2120 Users Group >====================
        Group...       TO:
        2120@...

        email...           TO:
        majordomo@...

        |                                MESSAGE: unsubscribe 2120

        Access MESSAGE ARCHIVES...      TO:
        majordomo@...

        (e.g. 2000,Jan)     MESSAGE: get 2120 21200001

        Problems...              TO:
        2120-owner@...

        > >--
        > >Todd Anderson
        > >ASGWEB.net
        > >1362E 3345S
        > >SLC, UT 84106
        > >801.487.3675
        > >
        > >http://asgweb.net
        > >http://asgweb.net/asgpro
        > >http://mrnoitall.com
        > >

        > >===================< DigiTech 2120 Users Group >====================
        > >|  To Post Messages to
        Group...       TO:
        2120@...

        > >|  To UNSUBSCRIBE,
        email...           TO:
        majordomo@...

        MESSAGE: unsubscribe 2120

        > >|  To Access MESSAGE
        ARCHIVES...      TO:
        majordomo@...

        >|            (e.g.
        2000,Jan)     MESSAGE: get 2120 21200001

        > >|  To Report
        Problems...              TO:
        2120-owner@...

        > Get
        your FREE download of MSN Explorer at
        http://explorer.msn.com

        > ===================< DigiTech 2120 Users Group >====================
        > |  To Post Messages to
        Group...       TO:
        2120@...

        > |  To UNSUBSCRIBE,
        email...           TO:
        majordomo@...

        2120-owner@...

      • ik@vhit.de
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 30, 2001
          Its not that easy....To much damping kills the sound. Not much foam kills the noise but the right way of building such a box. Only foam is as loud as playing your head into the pack of your Combo ;-) I think its a bargain to get a box for 600,- The better ones are far out of reach with 3000 Bucks....

          I´m in big trouble getting my Rage - Sound right. Anyone into those fast low - E very fast - don´t know the word - stuff. I´ve found it very hard to get a decent sound.
          I´m having to much scraping from my picking in the sound. I´m only using the following by now: Boss CS-3 - GE-7 - MT-2 - Mrshl Chorus - Amp - Box as my rig.
          I´m playing with a Stratocaster equipted with 2 EMG 81 (Don´t hit my :-)

          I'm guessing the silent cab thing is simply a box with a lot of acoustic foam in it. I read about making one in a book once. I've been wanting to try making one with plywood to fit around my amp and leaving enough space to mount a small mic stand. The only problem for me is that I don't have a separate speaker cab from my amp combo, so I would either have to install a cooling fan in the box (which would let sound leak out) or buy a separate speaker to install in the box, which would be the more logical choice. I'm a big fan of Celestion Vintage 30's, so I may actually try the plan out in the next couple of months. I'm in college and there are a lot of annoying neighbors studying around me (hmm... I really wish they wouldn't do that), so I can't be loud at all when I'm recording. If it works, I'll let you guys know. If it doesn't work, I'll just replace the Vintage 30 in my combo since I've been wanting to do that anyway. If anyone has any advice on how to do such a project, please let me know.

          Kevin

          ===================< DigiTech 2120 Users Group >==================== | To Post Messages to Group... TO: 2120@... | | To UNSUBSCRIBE, email... TO: majordomo@... | MESSAGE: unsubscribe 2120 | | To Access MESSAGE ARCHIVES... TO: majordomo@... | (e.g. 2000,Jan) MESSAGE: get 2120 21200001 | | To Report Problems... TO: 2120-owner@... ====================================================================
        • Intermedia Graphics
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 1, 2001
            My 2 cents worth.

            I use the 2120 with a BBE and a Marshal power and cabs for live performance.
            For recording, I use a Line 6 Pod-Pro and some times a TC-Electronics
            G-Force.
            (the Pod amp sims sound GREAT but the effects suck big time).
            Up to this moment I have yet to find a box that does it all.

            Itsik

            i have a recording question. i built my self a pro tools studio and this
            is my problem. when i plug my 2120 direct into pro tools, it sounds like
            crap. i play heavy music and use tons of distortion. i know every guitar
            player on this list (when we were young and silly) plugged their
            practice amp into dads home stereo speakers to see how it sounded. well
            it sounded like crap, and that's the sound i get going direct to pro
            tools. i can get it to sound,"ok" with different eq settings. ive tried
            running it through my mixer and with a bbe maximiser and it still sounds
            like home stereo speaker crap. i get a great sound when i mic my cab, i
            got a killer rig: 2120-->bbe maximiser-->behringer mx2004a-->carver
            pm300-->mesa boogie half back 4x12-->rivera los lobottom. i use event
            ps5 monitor speakers for pro tools, every thing is wired with monster
            cables, and all my guitars have emg 81's. but that wont cut it a 3 am. i
            was thinking of checking out a johnson j station because of the spdif
            option. does anyone else on this list use a j station? i wanted to get
            some opinions before i drove 45 miles and spent $150.00
            thanks in advance
            JameZ
            ===================< DigiTech 2120 Users Group >====================
            | To Post Messages to Group... TO: 2120@...

            | MESSAGE: unsubscribe 2120
            |
            | To Access MESSAGE ARCHIVES... TO: majordomo@...
            | (e.g. 2000,Jan) MESSAGE: get 2120 21200001
            |
            | To Report Problems... TO: 2120-owner@...
            |
            | To Access MESSAGE ARCHIVES... TO: majordomo@...
            | (e.g. 2000,Jan) MESSAGE: get 2120 21200001
            |
            | To Report Problems... TO: 2120-owner@...
          • Bill Porter
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 1, 2001
              Regarding the question about the silent speaker, you may wish to check out
              this new cabinet made by Randall Amps:

              http://randallamplifiers.com/product/cabnets/isolation.htm

              Hope this helps,
              Bill