2120: Re: Help: EQ tweaking

  • Michael Yen
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2000
      Hi all,

      Along the same lines, like many other users, I haven't been able to get a
      really full clean tone out of my 2120. I'm using a Fender Blues DeVille
      (The vinyl one) amp, and it's got a decent clean tone that I came to like.
      I'm feeding the signals like such: Epiphone Les Paul > Blues DeVille preamp
      section> 2120 > pedals > 2120 > Blues DeVille power amp. I've actually
      noticed that the tone is not as full in this setup as it was with just the
      guitar into the Blues Deville. This is true even with all the preamp stuff
      set to bypass, and I couldn't figure out why. You would think that the
      extra preamp tubes in the 2120 would help warm up the signal, but it's not
      doing that. Is the problem just that I needed to tweak the EQ and such
      more, or is there another way I can setup the chain? Or maybe that's just
      something I'll have to live with?

      -Mike

      | To Access MESSAGE ARCHIVES... TO: majordomo@...
      | (e.g. 2000,Jan) MESSAGE: get 2120 21200001
      |
      | To Report Problems... TO: 2120-owner@...
    • Maarten van Helden
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2000
        I would just like to comment on that. I do not own a 2120, but I'm still a
        happy user of the good old GSP2101. Regarding the AD/DA converting of the
        sound, I use mine in the serial fx loop of a Mesa/Boogie Quad preamp (with
        high quality cables ofcourse). If you put the 2101 on bypass the signal that
        enters the machine goes straight to the outputs, and thus does not travel
        through the AD/DA converters. The sound stays practicly the same if I put
        the preampsection in bypass mode, EQ flat and volume on 0 dB, and the master
        dry/wet mixer on dry. There is a slight difference between this and the
        manual bypassmode, but the difference is so small that just adjust the EQ a
        little bit solves it. I can hear no apparent loss of dynamics or depth.

        So what I do to keep the (beautifull) sound of the M/B Quad preamp intact: I
        use the dry/wet mixer for each patch to throw in some effects on top of my
        original sound. To make sure that I get no "original sound" that has passed
        the AD/DA converters I keep the levels of the left (/right) inputs in the
        mastermixer at zero. That way a "totally wet signal" would only passthrough
        the fx sound, but by adjusting the dry/wet mixer I get a nice mix between my
        original sound and the wet fx. Most of the times it is set at 65% dry 35%
        wet.

        Ofcourse the layout of the 2120 is somewhat different, but I guess you can
        all understand what the idea is. Any thoughts/comments on this are more
        then welcome.

        What you said about using a parallel fx loop is true and would indeed give a
        nice result. The advantage if such a setup is that there are no audiodrops
        when switching presets on the 21xx even when using Dual SDisc patches. Such
        a setup is not usefull for me (unless it is programmable, but that would
        cost too much for me), because I want to use the 2101 to do some final EQ
        over the preamp sound of the Quad, use noise gates (in a parallel setup the
        noise gate wouldn't be much of a help and I can't live without it) and
        produce totally spaced out wet sounds (same story as with the noise
        gate.....not possible).

        Cheers,
        Maarten
        www.vanhelden.demon.nl/gear

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2000
          Maarten and Michael,

          >What you said about using a parallel fx loop is true and would indeed >give
          >a nice result.

          Agreed. Sounds like an interesting idea, Michael. But...

          >Such a setup is not usefull for me (unless it is programmable, but >that
          >would cost too much for me), because I want to use the 2101 to >do some
          >final EQ over the preamp sound of the Quad, use noise gates

          Very true. For that reason, I think I might just stick with the serial
          loop, and hours of EQ tweaking... For example, one patch I like a lot on
          the 2120 is the "Synth Vol Pedal" patch, it's so much fun! I finally
          learned that the trick is to not keep strumming it, but to hit a chord ONCE,
          and let it ring...oh, so sweet. Take that, keyboard player, I'm stealing
          your show! ...well, not really, but at least I'm trying. :P Anyway, as I
          said, that particular preset would not work well with the parallel setting,
          since I needed ALL of the sound to be processed.

          Ooh, this is all very eye opening, the world of EQs... oops, sorry,
          ear-opening, that is. :)

          -Mike

          "Milhouse, I'm not going to put dog-doo that's been on the DIRTY floor on my
          face!"
          -The ingenious Bart Simpson