2112: Need help, ...anybody?

  • Steinar Mikkelsen
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 30, 1997
      Hi!

      I have to problems with my 2112, and if YOU could help me with this, I
      would be very grateful.

      1: How do you assign different functions to the control one pedalboard,
      like solo, delay-foottap, tuner etc.... I have tried to do this, but I
      can't make it work. Can you tell me what I have to do, to make this
      work?

      2: My biggest problem with the 2112, is the input knob. When I use the
      clean sounds in 2112, I have to turn it down to around 10-11 o'clock,
      so the sound doesn't clip. But when I use distortion-sounds, this
      becomes to low, and I have to turn the input-knob way up, to get a
      decent sound. But how do I switch between clean and distorted sounds
      during a liveconcert for instance? I can't turn the input knob up and
      down while I'm playing. I haven't seen any parameters in the 2112, where
      I can compensate for this. Any suggestions?

      I would really appreciate it, if I could get some help with this.

      Thanks
      Steinar Mikkelsen
    • Martin Bosticky
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 30, 1997
        To question 2: For the clean sounds, set the input to what it should be
        for distorted sound. Then go to edit mode. Your distortion should be in
        bypass mode, but your equaliser doesn't have to be. Switch it on, and in
        there, adjust the volume of the equalisation effect. You can set the
        equaliser flat if you like. There are other modules that you may have
        there for which you could probably decrease the volume to prevent
        clipping. It might allso help to have the signal go through only one of
        the distortion paths (with distortion on bypass) and have the other
        switched off.

        I hope, this will help.
        Martin.

        On Sat, 30 Aug 1997, Steinar Mikkelsen wrote:

        > Hi!
        >
        > I have to problems with my 2112, and if YOU could help me with this, I
        > would be very grateful.
        >
        > 1: How do you assign different functions to the control one pedalboard,
        > like solo, delay-foottap, tuner etc.... I have tried to do this, but I
        > can't make it work. Can you tell me what I have to do, to make this
        > work?
        >
        > 2: My biggest problem with the 2112, is the input knob. When I use the
        > clean sounds in 2112, I have to turn it down to around 10-11 o'clock,
        > so the sound doesn't clip. But when I use distortion-sounds, this
        > becomes to low, and I have to turn the input-knob way up, to get a
        > decent sound. But how do I switch between clean and distorted sounds
        > during a liveconcert for instance? I can't turn the input knob up and
        > down while I'm playing. I haven't seen any parameters in the 2112, where
        > I can compensate for this. Any suggestions?
        >
        > I would really appreciate it, if I could get some help with this.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Steinar Mikkelsen
      • Ross Chevalier
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 30, 1997
          Hi Steinar,

          Ok, this isn't clear from the docs, but this is how I address what you
          are doing in Q1.

          The top row of buttons on the Control One are assignable to effects.
          The far right button is for bank switching and with press and hold
          activates the tuner. This means you have five buttons available for
          effects on/off. Some buttons may already be assigned to the patch, try
          tapping them on/off. if an effect is assigned it will show up in the
          Control One display. To assign a footswitch to a patch you must be
          working with patches in the USER bank. The footswitches are numbered 6
          through 10 and labeled EFFECT A through EFFECT E. In most patches
          (maybe all, I haven't checked), EFFECT E toggles the SOLO function off
          and on.

          1. Turn the wheel to select the patch you would like to work with
          2. Go into edit mode
          3. Turn the wheel to get to the effect block you want to work with the
          footswitch
          4. Press the ASSIGN button
          5. Press the footswitch you wish to use with the effect
          6. With the editing dials, select whether you want the effect on or off
          by default
          7. Press STORE, read the prompts, keep STOREing until you are back to
          normal edit mode.
          8. Press the PROGRAM button to return to normal operation. Your
          footswitch should now turn your effect on and off.
          9. It is also possible to assign the continuous controller pedal to
          sweep a parameter for an effect, although I have never done this.

          As to your question 2, I don't notice a change on the input side when
          moving from a boost to non-boost state. I do notice a change in output
          level and manipulate the output level in the patches to balance things
          out. What I will do, for each guitar I use, is define in advance the
          optimum input level, based upon pickup switch position, single coil
          humbucking etc. etc. so when I switch guitars, I get at least some
          consistency in how the effects respond.

          Cheers,

          Ross

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 30, 1997
            Martin,

            Re: Question One: I don't think you should change the input level knob unless
            you are changing to a guitar with a different pickup output, i.e.; humbucker
            to single coil. The input level knob should remain constant from program to
            program while using the same guitar.

            If you are not getting enough drive for distorted sounds, increase the gain
            of the preamp first, then work with the compressor, eq, and output levels
            accordingly until you have the sound you're after.

            On Question Two, I agree with Mr. Chevalier's response with one exception.
            You are not limited to just the top row of buttons on the Control One. You
            may assign up to ten footswitch functions and three pedal functions for each
            program. For example, visit the Jam Along patch 1>4>5 in the factory
            programs. Switches 1 & 2 select programs, while the rest of the footswitches
            address other functions.

            Hope this helps,
            GBFE

          • Mike Teague
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 30, 1997
              On Sat, 30 Aug 1997, Steinar Mikkelsen wrote:

              > Hi!
              >
              > I have to problems with my 2112, and if YOU could help me with this, I
              > would be very grateful.
              >
              > 1: How do you assign different functions to the control one pedalboard,
              > like solo, delay-foottap, tuner etc.... I have tried to do this, but I
              > can't make it work. Can you tell me what I have to do, to make this
              > work?

              This is clearly explained (to me at least :) in the manual, on page 54-55,
              and its a lot easier than in previous digitech stuff...

              basically, find your patch, go into edit mode, use the data wheel to find
              the module you want, use hte page and 1/2/3/4 knobs to find and select (it
              will have the little triangle near the box). hit the "assign" button, hit
              a footswitch, and bingo... thats about it. (you might want to make sure of
              the min and max values , which would be just on / off in your case.)

              > 2: My biggest problem with the 2112, is the input knob. When I use the
              > clean sounds in 2112, I have to turn it down to around 10-11 o'clock,
              > so the sound doesn't clip. But when I use distortion-sounds, this
              > becomes to low, and I have to turn the input-knob way up, to get a
              > decent sound. But how do I switch between clean and distorted sounds
              > during a liveconcert for instance? I can't turn the input knob up and
              > down while I'm playing. I haven't seen any parameters in the 2112, where
              > I can compensate for this. Any suggestions?

              goto one of the loud presets, like #1, play loud stuff, adjust the knob to
              where the clip light lights up occasionally.. NOW LEAVE IT THERE :)
              (unless you change guitars)

              then, if you are having volume troubles with your own patches, use the
              "LEvels" button and adjust those for each patch on both the clean and.

              > I would really appreciate it, if I could get some help with this.
              >
              > Thanks
              > Steinar Mikkelsen

              __Mike Teague | mike@... | http://glock.triax.com
              ____Home Recording (listen to the .wav's!), Linux, Firearms, Freedom,
              ______And a little bit more at the webpage. "I am not disgruntled!"

            • Ross Chevalier
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 30, 1997
                Thanks! I never realized that the first row of footswitches were
                assignable for anything but selecting patches. A day where I learn
                something is never wasted.

                Ross

              • Darren Porter
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 1, 1997
                  Actually, it would be kind of nice if the input knob was a parameter
                  that could be adjusted and stored within each patch. This would be
                  great for those of us who do an electric/acoustic switch now and then.
                  Since (most of the time) patches are used exclusively for one or the
                  other, the input level would be correct for the guitar you are
                  currently using because the input level is on a patch-by-patch basis.

                  But on the other hand, it would make it diffucult to go in to change
                  100+ patches to adjust the input level... maybe an optional global
                  input setting or an input setting applied to banks of patches?