Re: FIELDS OF VALOR: THE CIVIL WAR 20th Massachusetts and the 1st Virginia

  • vermouth_man
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 21, 2012
      I did not see this series because I don't get the Military Channel but
      would like to hear any reviews members here could give me. Would also
      like to know if they plan on putting this out on DVD.

      --- In 20th_Massachusetts_Infantry_Regiment@yahoogroups.com, Raymond
      OHara <raymondohara@...> wrote:

      > It's on again tonight so I'll give it a look.but  being the
      Military Channel My hopes aren't high.. Â

      > ________________________________

      Sony,
      > Discovery and IMAX - will debut FIELDS OF VALOR: THE CIVIL WAR, the
      > world's first native 3D war documentary, Saturday, December 3 (9PM
      > ET/PT), it was announced today by Tom Cosgrove, President & CEO of
      3net.
      > In addition, 3net, along with Discovery Communications' sister
      networks
      > Velocity and Military Channel, will offer a 3D/2D simulcast of the
      > premiere episode Sunday, December 4 (10PM ET/PT).
      > >
      > > The epic, four-part 3net original miniseries - the most ambitious 3D
      > project ever produced for television - will transport viewers back in
      > time, retelling the war's most pivotal moments both on and off the
      > battlefields from the unique perspective of both sides of the historic
      > conflict. The series utilizes carefully selected stereoscopic stills
      > from the period - recently released by the Library of Congress - and
      > shown for the first time ever to television audiences in their native
      3D
      > format.
      > >
      > > In addition, FIELDS OF VALOR: THE CIVIL WAR features a cast of
      > thousands for the penultimate battle scenes, unique "tableau form"
      style
      > 3D recreations and 3D graphic effects to bring to vivid life the men
      of
      > the 20th Massachusetts and the 1st Virginia as they leave their homes
      > and loved ones, prepare for ensuing battle and plunge headlong into
      the
      > history's most brutal domestic conflict. Intimate accounts of the
      brave
      > men on the front lines are told through paralleling stories from each
      > side of the war, giving audiences a unique insight into the beliefs,
      > struggles and passions of those involved from both the North and
      South.

      (http://www.3net.com/news/view/17/3net-to-debut-fields-of-valor-the-civi\
      l-war-world-s-first-native-3d-documentary-series-december-3)

      > > The previews look a little() strange, focus appears to be on Henry
      > Abbott and Josiah Murphy, but I'll be checking it out.
      > > What do you think?

    • Raymond OHara
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 21, 2012
        I only saw the 1st Ep. it went up to Ball's Bluff, it wasn't bad, better than the usual fare from the Military/History Channel.
        I'll watch the rest on On Demand.
        As for DVD, what doesn't get made into one. When I watch the rest I'll give a more detailed account but nothing in EP horribly outraged me.