FIELDS OF VALOR: THE CIVIL WAR 20th Massachusetts and the 1st Virginia

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2011
      I got a call about this new series today and looked it up on "my Google Machine" and found the following press release:

      (Culver City, Ca.) 3net, the joint venture 24/7 3D network from Sony, Discovery and IMAX - will debut FIELDS OF VALOR: THE CIVIL WAR, the world's first native 3D war documentary, Saturday, December 3 (9PM ET/PT), it was announced today by Tom Cosgrove, President & CEO of 3net. In addition, 3net, along with Discovery Communications' sister networks Velocity and Military Channel, will offer a 3D/2D simulcast of the premiere episode Sunday, December 4 (10PM ET/PT).

      The epic, four-part 3net original miniseries - the most ambitious 3D project ever produced for television - will transport viewers back in time, retelling the war's most pivotal moments both on and off the battlefields from the unique perspective of both sides of the historic conflict. The series utilizes carefully selected stereoscopic stills from the period - recently released by the Library of Congress - and shown for the first time ever to television audiences in their native 3D format.

      In addition, FIELDS OF VALOR: THE CIVIL WAR features a cast of thousands for the penultimate battle scenes, unique "tableau form" style 3D recreations and 3D graphic effects to bring to vivid life the men of the 20th Massachusetts and the 1st Virginia as they leave their homes and loved ones, prepare for ensuing battle and plunge headlong into the history's most brutal domestic conflict. Intimate accounts of the brave men on the front lines are told through paralleling stories from each side of the war, giving audiences a unique insight into the beliefs, struggles and passions of those involved from both the North and South.
      (http://www.3net.com/news/view/17/3net-to-debut-fields-of-valor-the-civil-war-world-s-first-native-3d-documentary-series-december-3)

      The previews look a little() strange, focus appears to be on Henry Abbott and Josiah Murphy, but I'll be checking it out.
      What do you think?
    • Coly H
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2011
        I don't get the Military Channel so I have not been able to see the
        program but I did watch the trailer on the link you provided and it does
        look interesting. Is there anywhere I can watch it online?

        --- In 20th_Massachusetts_Infantry_Regiment@yahoogroups.com, "Jim"
        <theaprils@...> wrote:

        > I got a call about this new series today and looked it up on "my
        Google Machine" and found the following press release:

        > (Culver City, Ca.) 3net, the joint venture 24/7 3D network from Sony,
        Discovery and IMAX - will debut FIELDS OF VALOR: THE CIVIL WAR, the
        world's first native 3D war documentary, Saturday, December 3 (9PM
        ET/PT), it was announced today by Tom Cosgrove, President & CEO of 3net.
        In addition, 3net, along with Discovery Communications' sister networks
        Velocity and Military Channel, will offer a 3D/2D simulcast of the
        premiere episode Sunday, December 4 (10PM ET/PT).

        > The epic, four-part 3net original miniseries - the most ambitious 3D
        project ever produced for television - will transport viewers back in
        time, retelling the war's most pivotal moments both on and off the
        battlefields from the unique perspective of both sides of the historic
        conflict. The series utilizes carefully selected stereoscopic stills
        from the period - recently released by the Library of Congress - and
        shown for the first time ever to television audiences in their native 3D
        format.

        > In addition, FIELDS OF VALOR: THE CIVIL WAR features a cast of
        thousands for the penultimate battle scenes, unique "tableau form" style
        3D recreations and 3D graphic effects to bring to vivid life the men of
        the 20th Massachusetts and the 1st Virginia as they leave their homes
        and loved ones, prepare for ensuing battle and plunge headlong into the
        history's most brutal domestic conflict. Intimate accounts of the brave
        men on the front lines are told through paralleling stories from each
        side of the war, giving audiences a unique insight into the beliefs,
        struggles and passions of those involved from both the North and South.

        (http://www.3net.com/news/view/17/3net-to-debut-fields-of-valor-the-civi\
        l-war-world-s-first-native-3d-documentary-series-december-3)

        > The previews look a little() strange, focus appears to be on Henry
        Abbott and Josiah Murphy, but I'll be checking it out.
        > What do you think?

      • Raymond OHara
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 4, 2011
          It's on again tonight so I'll give it a look.but  being the Military Channel My hopes aren't high..

          <theaprils@...> wrote:

          > I got a call about this new series today and looked it up on "my
          Google Machine" and found the following press release:

          > (Culver City, Ca.) 3net, the joint venture 24/7 3D network from Sony,
          Discovery and IMAX - will debut FIELDS OF VALOR: THE CIVIL WAR, the
          world's first native 3D war documentary, Saturday, December 3 (9PM
          ET/PT), it was announced today by Tom Cosgrove, President & CEO of 3net.
          In addition, 3net, along with Discovery Communications' sister networks
          Velocity and Military Channel, will offer a 3D/2D simulcast of the
          premiere episode Sunday, December 4 (10PM ET/PT).

          > The epic, four-part 3net original miniseries - the most ambitious 3D
          project ever produced for television - will transport viewers back in
          time, retelling the war's most pivotal moments both on and off the
          battlefields from the unique perspective of both sides of the historic
          conflict. The series utilizes carefully selected stereoscopic stills
          from the period - recently released by the Library of Congress - and
          shown for the first time ever to television audiences in their native 3D
          format.

          > In addition, FIELDS OF VALOR: THE CIVIL WAR features a cast of
          thousands for the penultimate battle scenes, unique "tableau form" style
          3D recreations and 3D graphic effects to bring to vivid life the men of
          the 20th Massachusetts and the 1st Virginia as they leave their homes
          and loved ones, prepare for ensuing battle and plunge headlong into the
          history's most brutal domestic conflict. Intimate accounts of the brave
          men on the front lines are told through paralleling stories from each
          side of the war, giving audiences a unique insight into the beliefs,
          struggles and passions of those involved from both the North and South.

          (http://www.3net.com/news/view/17/3net-to-debut-fields-of-valor-the-civil-war-world-s-first-native-3d-documentary-series-december-3)

          > The previews look a little() strange, focus appears to be on Henry
          Abbott and Josiah Murphy, but I'll be checking it out.
          > What do you think?

        • vermouth_man
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 21, 2012
            I did not see this series because I don't get the Military Channel but
            would like to hear any reviews members here could give me. Would also
            like to know if they plan on putting this out on DVD.

            --- In 20th_Massachusetts_Infantry_Regiment@yahoogroups.com, Raymond
            OHara <raymondohara@...> wrote:

            > It's on again tonight so I'll give it a look.but  being the
            Military Channel My hopes aren't high.. Â

          • Raymond OHara
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 21, 2012
              I only saw the 1st Ep. it went up to Ball's Bluff, it wasn't bad, better than the usual fare from the Military/History Channel.
              I'll watch the rest on On Demand.
              As for DVD, what doesn't get made into one. When I watch the rest I'll give a more detailed account but nothing in EP horribly outraged me.