148th Anniversary of Battle of Gettysburg

  • Coly H
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2011
      148 years ago today the 20th Massachusetts was one of the regiments that
      defended Cemetary Ridge against Pickett and his men on the 3rd day of
      the Battle of Gettysburg.
    • Raymond OHara
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2011
        the first time I visited Gettysburg , back in 1982, we pulled into the park entrance and I was instantly able to see I where I was on the field {years of wargaming paying off} and realizing  I was at the Copse of Trees, so I turned to my compamion and said, "c'mon, the 20ths monument must be right here and within minutes I was at the 20th monument, It was the first that I visited and photographed. I also recognized it as a piece of Roxbury Puddingstone a common rock formation that half of the city of Boston sits on and which breaks the surface in many places.

        I knew the 20th had fought there from reading Don Congdon's 'Combat, The Civil War' a compilation of first hand accounts and the Pickett's charge Union account was written by one of Meade's staff who was at the spot and the account centers around the 20th and is full of high praise, The officer says as he rode forward towards the Copse he saw the 20th and speaks glowingly of it in a "thak god quality troops on hand sort of way.

        everybody should find and read this book as all the accounts are first and and quite interesting. Any decent library should have it.