Re: History Channel's Gettysburg

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2011
      I agree with Raymond. The whole production was pretty weak. Video game graphics, California landscape and a pretty weak story line overall. It was kind of like someone was trying to imitate "The 300" in the special effects department with a $3 budget. Nothing new in the overall story with irritating gaps. I was at the battle field Friday and this production was a big let down. The battle field is still great though and I never run out of approaching it from a different angle. I also enjoy watching new visitor's faces when they are standing in the area where their park guide is telling them what happened on the spot where they stand. Hallowed ground.

      --- In 20th_Massachusetts_Infantry_Regiment@yahoogroups.com, Raymond OHara <raymondohara@...> wrote:

      > yes the best part was the Geigo caveman re-enactor sendup. I laughed.
      > the rest was rather thin. it's okay to focus on an individual to tell the larger story but there still has to be context to put the individual in.
      > It was the history channel and they lived down below my low expectations.

    • Coly H
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2011
        I was disappointed too but there were some parts I liked. I enjoyed the
        parts about the Marylanders role at Gettysburg (I was born and raised in
        Maryland) and the descriptions of the different ammunition they used. My
        main problem was they jumped around talking about participants in the
        battle and not the battle itself.

        --- In 20th_Massachusetts_Infantry_Regiment@yahoogroups.com, "Jim"

        OHara raymondohara@ wrote:

        > > yes the best part was the Geigo caveman re-enactor sendup. I
        laughed.
        > > the rest was rather thin. it's okay to focus on an individual to
        tell the larger story but there still has to be context to put the
        individual in.
        > > It was the history channel and they lived down below my low
        expectations.

      • Raymond OHara
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2011
          the individual parts were fine, but there was no context for them and they didn't add up to much.

          OHara raymondohara@ wrote:

          > > yes the best part was the Geigo caveman re-enactor sendup. I
          laughed.
          > > the rest was rather thin. it's okay to focus on an individual to
          tell the larger story but there still has to be context to put the
          individual in.
          > > It was the history channel and they lived down below my low
          expectations.

        • Reynaldo Rodriguez
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 2, 2011

            Perhaps,

            Doing the whole of Gettysburg was too much. They could have done a better job breaking it down into episodes for a season and call the series: Gettysbburg: Little Round Top, Gettysburg: Culp's Hill, Gettysburg: Peach Orchard etc...