November 1, 1861

  • WEB455@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 1, 2010
      Gen. George B. McClellan was made general-in-chief of the Union armies.

      Tony
    • Crystal
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 2, 2010
        Lincoln regretted that decision.

        --- In 20th_Massachusetts_Infantry_Regiment@yahoogroups.com, WEB455@... wrote:

        > Gen. George B. McClellan was made general-in-chief of the Union armies.
        >
        > Tony

      • Raymond OHara
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 2, 2010
          I don't know if it was regret as much as disappointed.
          organizationally Lil'Mac was essential to the AoP despite his subsequent failure as a field commander

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 3, 2010
            Something I always wanted to know was McClellan was yellow or did his
            sympathy for the South affect his decisions?

            --- In 20th_Massachusetts_Infantry_Regiment@yahoogroups.com, Raymond
            OHara <raymondohara@...> wrote:

            > I don't know if it was regret as much as disappointed.organizationally
            Lil'Mac was essential to the AoP despite his subsequent failure
            as a field commander

          • Teej Smith
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 3, 2010
              Vermouth Man wrote:

              Something I always wanted to know was McClellan was yellow or did his
              sympathy for the South affect his decisions?

              McClellan's Mexican War record would indicate that he did not lack
              personal courage. As for "sympathy for the South," I think it was more of a
              case that McClellan never lost hope that conciliation with the South was
              possible as long as the aim of the war stayed focused on restoring the
              Union.

              Regards,
              Teej
            • vermouth_man
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 3, 2010
                Charging an enemy's fort under fire takes courage however to order men
                to charge a fort is an entirely different matter. I believe McClellan
                may have been to nice to be a a field general.

                --- In 20th_Massachusetts_Infantry_Regiment@yahoogroups.com, "Teej

              • CashG79@aol.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 3, 2010

                  In a message dated 11/3/2010 3:34:21 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, vermouth_man@... writes:
                  Something I always wanted to know was McClellan was yellow or did his
                  sympathy for the South affect his decisions?
                  ------------

                  Or did he believe that Americans fighting Americans was enough of a tragedy and to add massive destruction and casualties to that would be truly horrific?

                  Regards,
                  Cash

                • Teej Smith
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 3, 2010
                    Vermouth Man wrote:

                    > Charging an enemy's fort under fire takes courage however to order men
                    > to charge a fort is an entirely different matter. I believe McClellan
                    > may have been to nice to be a a field general.

                    Personally, I think McClellan was too self-absorbed to really care about
                    his men. He was cautious for his own reasons. That those reasons worked out
                    well for his men was fortunate for them.

                    Regards,
                    Teej

                  • vermouth_man
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 3, 2010

                      >Or did he believe that Americans fighting Americans was enough of a tragedy and to add massive destruction and casualties to that would be truly horrific?>

                      If he believed that then why not just resign?

                      > Personally, I think McClellan was too self-absorbed to really care about
                      > his men. He was cautious for his own reasons. That those reasons worked out
                      > well for his men was fortunate for them.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > Teej

                      McClellan did have a high opinion of himself but I do think he cared for the men.

                    • Raymond OHara
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 3, 2010
                        He lacked moral courage.
                        he didn't have the inner faith in himself that could allow him to give the big orders.
                        his plans were fine but he could never just order the balls out attack

                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 3, 2010

                          In a message dated 11/3/2010 7:18:01 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, vermouth_man@... writes:

                          >Or did he believe that Americans fighting Americans was enough of a tragedy and to add massive destruction and casualties to that would be truly horrific?>

                          If he believed that then why not just resign?

                          -------------
                          If he believed it, then quite obviously he couldn't resign, since he was the only man capable of preventing that horrific result.

                          Regards,
                          Cash
                        • WEB455@AOL.COM
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 3, 2010
                            Well at least he designed a decent saddle. :o)

                            Tony

                            Smith" <teej@...> wrote:

                            > Vermouth Man wrote:
                            >

                            > Something I always wanted to know was McClellan was yellow or did his
                            > sympathy for the South affect his decisions?
                            >
                            > McClellan's Mexican War record would indicate that he did not lack
                            > personal courage. As for "sympathy for the South," I think it was more
                            of a
                            > case that McClellan never lost hope that conciliation with the South
                            was
                            > possible as long as the aim of the war stayed focused on restoring the
                            > Union.
                            >
                            > Regards,
                            > Teej

                          • Raymond OHara
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 4, 2010
                              I've read varying opinions on that.

                            • WEB455@AOL.COM
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 4, 2010
                                It couldn't have been that bad.  Today, the McClellan saddle is used by ceremonial mounted units in the US Army.The saddle was used by several other nations, including Rhodesia and Mexico, and to a degree by the British in the Boer War. It's the 21st Century and they are still using it in the US Army. His bones are probably long gone yet his saddle lives on. Nobody has developed a better mouse trap since the Army adopted it in 1859. Obliviously it must still be produced. Although I don't know the life span of a saddle, but I don't think a 151 year old saddle would still be serviceable nor one that is 80 years old.

                                Tony