Re: Civil War Ghost Stories

  • vermouth_man
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2010

      October 30, 2010

      A Civil War ghost story: Scared Shirtless

      Reprinted with permission of Thomas Publications of Gettysburg, Pa., from the book "Rebel Humor" by Gregory A. Coco Dalton Daily Citizen The Dalton Daily Citizen Sat Oct 30, 2010, 11:53 PM EDT

      DALTON — In the winter of 1863-1864, the first Louisiana Calvary was a mere ghost of its former self. The regiment was, due to hard service, in such pitiful shape that in late January is was ordered from its camp with the Army of Tennessee near Dalton, Georgia, back to Louisiana. There, the regiment would recruit new members and then aid the state forces in breaking up the many annoying raids being conducted by Federal troops in east Louisiana.

      Traveling home was long and tedious, but the troopers made the trip interesting and even fun. One of the enjoyments and benefits of the journey were the evenings. After the day's long march, the men would seek out private homes to obtain food and shelter as a break from their regular camp routines.

      Private Jacques Heeny of Company D was one of the youngest who participated in these outings. But an incident on a cold winter night broke him of that pleasant pastime.

      One evening, Heeny rode up to a large two-story house and asked if he could stay all night. He was invited in, then went out to see that his horse was attended to, came back in and was given supper. A little while later, the lady of the house said "I suppose you are tired, so whenever you feel like going to bed just go up the stairs and you will find your room at the head of the steps. You will see a light in it."

      Going up he found a rather dim light and a man in the bed. He thought nothing of this though, for soldiers were often put in the same bed even if they had never seen each other. Just as he retired, a young lady and gentleman walked in and took seats. Heeny with his elbow nudged his bed-fellow, but didn't dare speak — it was a novel situation and he wanted to see it out. The young fellow (after talking a while) said, "Jennie, I don't believe this old war is ever going to end; you have been putting me off so long, and why should we postpone our wedding any longer?"

      "Wait," she replied, "a little longer, say three or four months and if there is no prospect of peace then we will marry."

      A nudge from Heeny meant for his companion to listen.

      She had scarcely finished the sentence, though, when the young fellow threw his arms around her and kissed her with the loudest kind of a smack saying, "You dear little thing, give me a sweet kiss for that."

      Vigorous punches from Heeny were repeated and the girl said, "Oh! John, you ought to be ashamed of yourself, kissing me that way when we are sitting up with a dead body."

      Up rose Heeny with the sheet over him, and down those stairs precipitately fled that boy and girl. Heeny, actually pulling on his clothes as he ran, was right behind them and to the stable he went and, catching his horse, never stopped until he reached camp.

      What became of the boy and girl was afterward asked of him.

      "Oh my God, I don't know and I don't care. You can bet I never went back to find out."

    • Crystal
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2010
        I won't be able to sleep tonight after reading that one.