Re: Civil War Silent Films to air in November

  • csh_2088
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 29, 2010
      I believe the reason that there were so many films about the Civil War
      other than being the 50th Anniversary of the war was because there were
      still a lot of Civil War veterans alive but they were much older and
      were begining to die off. Today we have seen a lot of World War 2
      movies being produced because the World War 2 veterans are starting to
      die off.

      of the Nation, Gish died in 1993 and was not the last surviving member
      of the movie. Peggy Cartwright, who is best remembered as being in the
      Our Gang series, had a small part in Birth of the Nation and died in
      2001.

      --- In 20th_Massachusetts_Infantry_Regiment@yahoogroups.com,
      "vermouth_man" <vermouth_man@...> wrote:

      > It is interesting that more Civil War movies were made during the 50th
      > Anniversary than is being made now. I know The Conspirator is coming
      out
      > next Spring and I hope it does really well so that Hollywood will make
      > more movies.
      >

      > --- In 20th_Massachusetts_Infantry_Regiment@yahoogroups.com, "Crystal"
      > jammor2005@ wrote:
      > >

      > > Although some of the cast members in Birth of the Nation most people
      > > have forgotten about they were big names back then: Charles King,
      > Raoul
      > > Walsh, Mae Marsh and even John Ford had a small part in the movie.
      The
      > > biggest name in the movie was of course Lilian Gish who was also the
      > > last surviving cast member.
      > >

      > > --- In 20th_Massachusetts_Infantry_Regiment@yahoogroups.com, Raymond
      > > OHara raymondohara@ wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Birth of a Nation is one of those movies you learn about in school
      > but
      > > never see.When I finally did see it I realized the descriptions
      hadn't
      > > done it justice.the action is exciting and the "other" part is
      indeed
      > > shocking, even by todays standards.

      Birth