Re: [20th_Massachusetts_Infantry_Regiment] Rudeness in the Group

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 10, 2010
      Hi all,
      I agree we should be able to have reasonable discussions.
      I wonder how many of you have ever read  Bruce Catton's Trilogy on the Civil War?
      In the very first volume, The Coming Fury, where Mr. Catton tells the story of how there were the voices of reasonable men and how when they got shouted down it was all but over and that the shooting killing dying would commence. Its a chilling reminder of where even we could go today, if the voices of reasonable men are ignored.
      Jim Lamason
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 11, 2010
        Hey Coly, sorry to hear about the nasty posting on 20th Mass, The first tool you have chosen to implement should work out well.

        I had to switch the my group to approval only posting for new members once I hit about 150 members just to control the SPAM. But I have caught a couple of new members attempting to post something innappropriate, if a new member tries to post something nasty on their first post I just ban them.

        Whenever a thread starts to get out of hand I post a general warning on the group board to all involved (without mentioning names because they know who they are) reminding them of the group policies and warning them that all involved will be placed on temporary moderation until things cool down.

        I am four months into my fourth year with War To End All Wars group and with the exception of new members who attempt to SPAM have only had to ban one member. This member posted few and far between jumping in on threads occasionally and being an ass, insulting members, there were four or five incidents over the three year span and last time around I searched through the archives to find that the only time he posted was these four or five times and he started trouble every time, never a useful post, so I finally decided to ban him.

        I always try to avoid mentioning names or contacting members off group because they almost always feel they are being singled out and will sometimes get pissed and leave the group.

        Joe Ransdell,(Evil Nine): Owner War To End All Wars Group.
        These Colours Don't Run From Cold Bloody War!

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 11, 2010
          > I understand that a discussion on the Civil War can bring out heated discussion

          Amazing that we can still have so much heated disagreement over a war that happened 150 years ago...
          Most definitely, ban members who can't behave with the proper decorum.

          Tom

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 11, 2010

            I agree. And true it is amazing that a historical event such as the CW can invoke such deep seated passions.
            Jim Lamason

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 11, 2010
              Thanks guys for all the support.