Pauline Carrington Rust Bouve

  • csh_2088
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 5, 2010
      Do you know what the manuscript is about?

      I am also starting the topic here to keep out of the trivia thread.
    • Robert Moore
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 5, 2010
        Oops, sorry about that Coly. I should have thought to change the subject.

        It was about her reflections on her days in Virginia. I need to look into my files again to see if I can find the proposed name

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 5, 2010

          She recently [1928] wrote Mrs. H.R. McKay, of Luray, who has been in correspondence with her, that she would have two books ready for the printer this last year, one of them a work for children and the other Silhouettes of Virginia.  The latter was largely based on the writer’s recollections of Luray.  It is not known where these books are actually on the market.”  Regretfully, there is no indication that Silhouettes of Virginia ever went to press.

          Pauline “Lena” Carrington Rust Bouve died in New York City on December 2, 1928 as a result of complications from a surgery.  Her daughter, Nan (Ann Winston) Gravvett was said to have inherited her mother’s ability to write and, by 1928, had “made a name as a writer.”

          Here's an added bit of interest regarding the CW...

          "having removed to Massachusetts about 1899, she married another famous poet and author, Thomas Tracy Bouve (1875-1938), who, at the time, was a “young Harvard man, whose name is frequently found in the leading magazines as author of clever short stories and clever poems.”  Thomas Bouve as also the son of Edward Tracy Bouve, formerly a major in the 4th Massachusetts Cavalry during the Civil War and also, through is mother’s family, a distant cousin of President Abraham Lincoln through the early Lincoln families of the 17th century in Hingham, Massachusetts."

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 5, 2010
            Forgot to add... “Mrs. Bouve’s Boston home is at the Hotel Oxford, near the beautiful Copley Square, and just across from the far-famed Boston Public library.

            Do you know what the manuscript is about?

            I am also starting the topic here to keep out of the trivia thread.

          • Teej Smith
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 5, 2010

              Robert Moore wrote:

              She recently [1928] wrote Mrs. H.R. McKay, of Luray, who has been in correspondence with her, that she would have two books ready for the printer this last year, one of them a work for children and the other Silhouettes of Virginia.  The latter was largely based on the writer’s recollections of Luray.  It is not known where these books are actually on the market.”  Regretfully, there is no indication that Silhouettes of Virginia ever went to press.

                  Robert, I know this isn't what you're looking for but just as an aside, Alderman Library (University of Virginia) has two copies of Mrs. Bouve's Their Shadows Before: A Story of the Southampton Insurrection published in 1899.

              Regards,
              Teej

            • shill
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 5, 2010
                Is this book about the Nat Turner uprising?

                Jim

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 5, 2010

                  Is this book about the Nat Turner uprising?

                      Yes and it can be found on Google Books. This site gives you a list of stories Mrs. Bouve wrote and also those of her daughter Nan:

                  Teej

                • Robert Moore
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 6, 2010
                    Yes, there was a time in the early 20th century when some predicted the book would rise to greater fame than Uncle Tom's Cabin. Of course, it didn't, but the novel was one of those analyzed by Mary Kemp Davis in her book Nat Turner Before the Bar of Judgement: Fictional Treatments of the Southampton Slave Rebellion (LSU Press, 1999).

                    In short, Davis discusses Bouve’s novel as showing Nat Turner as a charismatic preacher as opposed to the more radical portrayals.  Furthermore, as recent as 2003 or 2004, the novel was brought up again in a lecture series (Race, Ethnicity, and Constructions of National Identity Lecture Series) at the University of Wisconsin, La Crosse, where Joseph Young lectured on the “Erasure and Retrieval of the Public Memory: Artful Deceit in Mary Johnston’s ‘Prisoner’s of Hope’; and Subtle Disclosure in Pauline Bouve’s Their Shadows Before.”

                    Bouve also wrote a number of popular childrens' books from the Tales of the Mayflower Children to Lamplight Tales

                    Robert

                    Is this book about the Nat Turner uprising?

                        Yes and it can be found on Google Books. This site gives you a list of stories Mrs. Bouve wrote and also those of her daughter Nan:

                    Teej

                  • vermouth_man
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 6, 2010
                      Have you tried to locate her family? They may know something about the manuscript.

                      --- In 20th_Massachusetts_Infantry_Regiment@yahoogroups.com, Robert Moore <cenantua@...> wrote:

                      > Yes, there was a time in the early 20th century when some predicted the book would rise to greater fame than Uncle Tom's Cabin. Of course, it didn't, but the novel was one of those analyzed by Mary Kemp Davis in her book Nat Turner Before the Bar of Judgement: Fictional Treatments of the Southampton Slave Rebellion (LSU Press, 1999).
                      >
                      > In short,
                      > Davis discusses Bouve’s novel as showing Nat Turner as a charismatic preacher as
                      > opposed to the more radical portrayals. Furthermore, as recent as 2003 or 2004, the novel was brought up again
                      > in a lecture series (Race, Ethnicity, and Constructions of National Identity
                      > Lecture Series) at the University of Wisconsin, La Crosse, where Joseph Young
                      > lectured on the “Erasure and Retrieval of the Public Memory: Artful Deceit in
                      > Mary Johnston’s ‘Prisoner’s of Hope’; and Subtle Disclosure in Pauline Bouve’s
                      > Their Shadows Before.”
                      >
                      > Bouve also wrote a number of popular childrens' books from the Tales of the Mayflower Children to Lamplight Tales.
                      >

                      > Robert
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • Robert Moore
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 6, 2010
                        I may do a census search on her daughter to see if it takes me anywhere. I think I did one with the 1930 census, but the 1940 census comes out this year and may help.

                        Have you tried to locate her family? They may know something about the manuscript.

                        --- In 20th_Massachusetts_ Infantry_ Regiment@ yahoogroups. com, Robert Moore <cenantua@.. .> wrote:

                        > Yes, there was a time in the early 20th century when some predicted the book would rise to greater fame than Uncle Tom's Cabin. Of course, it didn't, but the novel was one of those analyzed by Mary Kemp Davis in her book Nat Turner Before the Bar of Judgement: Fictional Treatments of the Southampton Slave Rebellion (LSU Press, 1999).
                        >
                        > In short,
                        > Davis discusses Bouve’s novel as showing Nat Turner as a charismatic preacher as
                        > opposed to the more radical portrayals. Furthermore, as recent as 2003 or 2004, the novel was brought up again
                        > in a lecture series (Race, Ethnicity, and Constructions of National Identity
                        > Lecture Series) at the University of Wisconsin, La Crosse, where Joseph Young
                        > lectured on the “Erasure and Retrieval of the Public Memory: Artful Deceit in
                        > Mary Johnston’s ‘Prisoner’s of Hope’; and Subtle Disclosure in Pauline Bouve’s
                        > Their Shadows Before.”
                        >
                        > Bouve also wrote a number of popular childrens' books from the Tales of the Mayflower Children to Lamplight Tales.
                        >

                        > Robert

                      • Bonnie M. Smolskis
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 6, 2010
                          Have you check with the State Library in Massachusetts?  Here is the website. If they don't have it, they might be able to provide direction where to search for it.

                          Bonnie