Re: [20th_Massachusetts_Infantry_Regiment] Re: Jefferson Davis relation to Barack Obama

  • Kevin Frye
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 16, 2009
      Dick Cheneys Civil War Ancestor

      Samuel F. Cheney

      Residence was not listed; 29 years old.

      Enlisted on 9/19/1861 as a 2nd Lieutenant.

      On 9/19/1861 he was commissioned into "E" Co. OH 21st Infantry
      He was Mustered Out on 7/25/1865 at Louisville, KY

      Promotions:
      * 1st Lieut 4/9/1862
      * Capt 2/29/1864 (As of Co. B)

      Intra Regimental Company Transfers:
      * 2/29/1864 from company E to company B

      Sources used by Historical Data Systems, Inc.:

       - Official Roster of the Soldiers of the State of Ohio
      (c) Historical Data Systems, Inc. @ www.civilwardata.com

      Kevin

      See the National POW museum at Andersonville at
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9RnYR8I-RE

    • Bonnie M. Smolskis
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 16, 2009
        lol.  Same here.  I  had an Uncle by the name of George Ruth, Sadly, he is not the right George (Babe) Ruth.

        O.K. everyone, sorry for going a little off topic, back to the  20 th Massachusetts

        Bonnie

        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 16, 2009
          George Plimpton was the great grandson of Aldbert Ames and the great
          great grandson of Benjamin Butler.

          --- In 20th_Massachusetts_Infantry_Regiment@yahoogroups.com, "Bonnie M.
          Smolskis" <bsmolskis@...> wrote:

          > lol. Same here. I had an Uncle by the name of George
          Ruth, Sadly, he is not the right George (Babe) Ruth.

          > O.K. everyone, sorry for going a little off topic, back to the 20
          th Massachusetts
          > Bonnie
          >

          > ________________________________

          found, I pretty much found on the computer. Â IÂ love to read some

          Date:

          > > Jefferson
          > > >

          > > <mailto:20th_Massachusetts_ Infantry_ Regiment@ yahoogroups. com
          > > <http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/>

        • Teej Smith
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 17, 2009
            George Plimpton was the great grandson of Aldbert Ames and the great
            great grandson of Benjamin Butler.

            Ah yes, I'd forgotten Ames married Butler's daughter. Hmm...wonder if
            Ben gave the happy couple a set of silver spoons as a wedding gift?

            Teej
          • Raymond OHara
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 17, 2009
              I had a superviser who was Ben's decendent. you could see the resemblence around the eyes.
              She was quite pretty though.
              My bro-in-law is decended from John Gordon, all he knows is he was a "Confederate General"

              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 19, 2009
                Have a look at the geneology link on Obama - http://www.wargs.com/political/obama.html
                He's related to

                Eight former presidents - JAMES MADISON, WOODROW WILSON, HARRY TRUMAN, LBJ, Carter, Ford, and both Bushes

                Two former prime ministers - Harold Macmillan and Winston Churchill

                Edward I, King of England (d. 1307)and William I "the Lion", King of Scots (d. 1214)as well as a signator of the Magna Carta, Roger Bigod, Earl of Norfolk (d. 1221)

                ROBERT E. LEE and JAMES LONGSTREET and the rest of the Lee clan, including LIGHT-HORSE HARRY" LEE. I believe that also makes him a relation by marriage to George Washington through R.E. Lee's wife.

                Politicians at the center of controversy - HOWARD DEAN,
                SARAH PALIN and Dick CHENEY

                Respected elder statesmen JOHN GLENN,BIRCH BAYH Jr, BIRCH BAYH III and ROBERT BYRD

                The famous - JOHN STEINBECK, KATHARINE HEPBURN, LON CHANEY, LON CHANEY Jr., and GEORGIA O'KEEFFE

                The less famous - SONNY BONO, CHRISTOPHER REEVE, BRAD PITT, ROBERT DUVALL, BRITT HUME

                and the infamous - JOHN HINCKLEY

                Not to mention J.P. MORGAN, THEODORE VAIL, founder of A T & T, JULIETTE LOW, founder of the Girl Scouts, GORDON HINCKLEY, president of the Mormon church, two Supreme Court Justices, at least two governors and two congressmen, and the unfortunate JONBENET RAMSEY.

                Jeff Davis is about the only person he is not related to!

                The rumored connection of Clark's wife's mother, Mrs. Louisiana Duvall Overall to Jefferson Davis appears to be incorrect. Barbara Clark Rees, a descendant of Alpheus Clark, a brother of Christopher Columbus Clark, writes to say that the parents of Alpheus and Christopher Columbus Clark were Thomas Clark and Elizabeth Davis, and that the correct tradition is that the relationship to Jefferson Davis is through the mother, not the mother-in-law, of Christopher Columbus Clark.

                Of course most of these relationships are through more than 10 degrees of separation and supposedly we are all related to each other through six degrees (although that applies to social, not blood, relationships). Still its fascinating to imagine who we could be related to.

                And as my father says, We are all related through Adam and Eve!