Re: Andersonville

    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 17, 2007
      Thanks for the offer Kevin. I have always been interested in
      Andersonville and any information you can share would be appreciated.

      --- In 20thMass@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Frye" <Frye@...> wrote:

      > Hi Gang,
      > Sorry for the previous posting as I thought it was going private to
      Coly. Guess I better introduce myself. My name is Kevin Frye and I am
      a local part time historian and volunteer for the National Park Service
      at Andersonville National Historic Site. I have been here as a
      volunteer for more than 10 years and can answer any question,, well
      nearly any question you might think of about Andersonville. If I cant
      answer it, I will research and find the answer if its available. I have
      a copy of the park database here at my home which not only has details
      on those from the 20th who were and still are here but also has more
      than 41000 records of those held as POW at Andersonville. My offer for
      FREE research for the asking is simply an email away. If you prefer me
      to answer in a private email, or publicly to this forum for all to
      share, just let me know.

      > Kevin Frye
      > Andersonville Historian / NPS Volunteer
      > www.angelfire.com/ga2/Andersonvilleprison/
      >

      > Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
      > Jesus Christ and the American G I.
      >
      > One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

    • George
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 19, 2007
        Hi Kevin, I have a question which I don't know will be within your
        scope of knowledge, but I always have been curious to know the
        answer so I will ask, anyway. I know of course that Wirz, the
        Andersonville warden was tried and hanged after the War. It is my
        understanding that Wirz's boss was a Confederate General I believe
        out of Richmond named General Winder. This General Winder had a
        reputation for cruelty towards Union prisoners as well, and as
        Wirz's boss, shared a lot of the blame for conditions at
        Andersonville.

        My question: Was Winder ever tried by Union authorities after the
        War as Wirz was? If so, what was the disposition of his trial? And
        if he was not tried, why not? I never understood Wirz's execution
        by itself for what happened at Andersonville, while not holding
        accountable the Confederate authorities that he answered to, who at
        the minimum were at least equally responsible. Thanks.
        George.

        <Frye@...> wrote:

        > Hi Gang,
        > Sorry for the previous posting as I thought it was going
        private to Coly. Guess I better introduce myself. My name is Kevin
        Frye and I am a local part time historian and volunteer for the
        National Park Service at Andersonville National Historic Site. I
        have been here as a volunteer for more than 10 years and can answer
        any question,, well nearly any question you might think of about
        Andersonville. If I cant answer it, I will research and find the
        answer if its available. I have a copy of the park database here at
        my home which not only has details on those from the 20th who were
        and still are here but also has more than 41000 records of those
        held as POW at Andersonville. My offer for FREE research for the
        asking is simply an email away. If you prefer me to answer in a
        private email, or publicly to this forum for all to share, just let
        me know.

        > Kevin Frye
        > Andersonville Historian / NPS Volunteer
        > www.angelfire.com/ga2/Andersonvilleprison/
        >

        > Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
        > Jesus Christ and the American G I.
        >
        > One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

      • Kevin Frye
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 20, 2007
          Hi George,
              First I want to mention that its been a very busy week for me and I will post whats available on those from the 20th in the neat future.  Ill be posting in groups of 10 as I find time to transcribe instead of the 60 some at once.

          Wirz was incontrol of the interior of ths stockade walls.  There were several Winders involved in the prison system connected with Andersonville.   General J. H. WInder was the Commander of Confederate Military Prisons in charge of the prisons East of the Mississippi.  His son,  ( Post commander ) was W. Sidney Winder was in charge of the basic day to day operation outside the prison pen walls and there was a third by the name of Richard B. Winder who was Quartermaster and oversaw the commissary at Camp Sumter ( Andersonville ). Richard was the Nephew of J. H. Winder. When Wirz needed anything, he had to go to W. Sidney, who went to Richard B, who had to deal long distance with those powers that be in Richmond including J. H. for supplies.  As we all well know dealing with any Government the more steps you have to go through to get anything, the odds increase of nothing happening.

          I have not read anything of anyone else here being placed on trial as Wirz was.  The answer to your question of General J. H. WInder being tried was that he died February 6 1865 , just months before the war ended leaving Wirz holding the bag.  Wirz`s trial, in my belief was a farse and history as well as transcripts show this.  First, a  few details that  might be new to those who are reading this.

          Wirz left Switzerland several years before the war began to find new life in America.  His wife had died and he left at least one child ( I believe there were two ) in the hands of his parents.  He came to America established a new life , got married, and soon had two children shortly before the war began.  After being shot through the arm at the battle of Seven Pines, he spent some time at Libby prison in a post and soon was sent here to Andersonville soon after this stockade opened.  He arrived here March 27 1864 , 32 days after the  first prisoners arrived. The stockade was only three sided until just after he arrived, but prisoners were being transfered here from Belle Island and other sites at numbers of 400 a day for the first several months.  As these prisoners came in so fast, and supplies so slow , it only accelerated the problems that soon became out of control.  I believe that many designs of this stockade that might have helped in the problems were postponed and ignored as the hope and plans of resuming exchanges were always a day away and the feeling was that these modifications were not needed.

          The following is going to sound wishy washy but I have very mixed views on Wirz.
          In defence of Wirz ( Yall hang with me now ) I will say that I have seen documents in his own handwriting begging for more food and supplies as well as less prisoners. He always got the reverse.  Wirz was on trial in an attempt to get him to implicate Jeff Davis and up until the day he was hanged, he would not do so. There are several examples of Wirz having moments of compassion.   After arriving here, one of his first acts after seeing the many young boys of ages of 12 to 15 was to having them removed from the general population and paroling them outside the stockade for use as errand boys, and to do chores for the guards.  Being so far from anything and deep in Confederate lines, he knew the chance of them escaping was slim.  He felt that boys of such a young age should not have to suffer in the events of what happened inside the prison walls.  He also helped the prisoner self organized Police force ( The Regulators ) overpower , hold trial, and punish those " Raiders"  who caused so much mysery, robbery, and murder among the prison population including the execution of the 6 ringleaders.  In the summer when conditions were the worst, Wirz allowd a party of 6 prisoners to be paroled to carry a large written petition to Washington demanding the resumption of exchanges.  The problem here is that these men had outlasted their enlistment and they turned this document over to a federal officer when dicharged before they simply went home. These are just a few examples that come to mind showing his intent was not for the extermination of Federal prisoners.  During his trial, there were later proven witnesses who were never here at  Andersonville.   Since this document that the paroled prisoners never made it to Washington, it was not allowed to be submitted in his defence although several of these men gave sworn testimony in person at the trail of Wirz allowing their freedom.   The judge said simply , No document,, it never happened.

           Now for the flip side.
          Wirz was not a kind man for certain.  One of the descendants of Wirz`s Children he left in Switzerland is an officer in the Swiss Military.                Swiss Col. Heinrich Wirz has done a great deal of research on his infamous ancestor for many years and has met with Andersonville Park personell several times. His research shows that his infamous ancestor left Switzerland just a few steps ahead of the law and was far from the model citizen.  Although much of his life was on the wrong side of the law and honesty, his final fate was fueled by the need for someone to pay.

          My view,, and its just an opinion,, is that the end for Wirz was the result of one of the best things that happened here at Andersonville.  A fellow prisoner here by the name of Dorence Atwater was placed in charge of keeping the dead rolls.  I can go into a long story but thanks to his work only 460 of the 12920 who died here lie in unmarked graves. He also made a secret copy which he smuggled out upon his release late in 1864 which he had printed in many large newspapers when the war ended. It was this incredible record keeping that fueled the need for someone to pay for what happened here.  I look at it this way.  There were 58000 who died in Vietnam.   Thats a huge number but its a cold number.  For those of you who have traveled to Washington to see the WALL you know that these 58000 names become more personal as you connect with people.  These were men and women who had Mothers, Fathers, Children.  Having this experiance brings passion and anger at the loss and removes the coldness from that huge number.

          I believe that Atwaters list caused the same result.  When your loved one went off to war and never came back , there would have been grief yes, but to think he died in battle defending his beliefs was one thing, but to find he died here at Andersonville for certain, and to hear the many stories told and printed by the more than 33000 survivors who survived , would have fueled the need for payback.  WInder was not there,, Wirz was and being the main link to all stories he paid the price.  Were there things he might have done to help the conditions here and he did not?  I believe there were a couple things that were in his hands which I could go into later, but with Lincolns vision for healing the wounds . the payment with Wirz life I think , was the simplest way to get past Andersonville and the hatred those family members of the ex-prisoners had against the people of the south might have been simplified if it could be directed at one person.

          I Hope I havent rambled on to much ( grin )

          Kevin

          <Frye@...> wrote:

          > Hi Gang,
          > Sorry for the previous posting as I thought it was going
          private to Coly. Guess I better introduce myself. My name is Kevin
          Frye and I am a local part time historian and volunteer for the
          National Park Service at Andersonville National Historic Site. I
          have been here as a volunteer for more than 10 years and can answer
          any question,, well nearly any question you might think of about
          Andersonville. If I cant answer it, I will research and find the
          answer if its available. I have a copy of the park database here at
          my home which not only has details on those from the 20th who were
          and still are here but also has more than 41000 records of those
          held as POW at Andersonville. My offer for FREE research for the
          asking is simply an email away. If you prefer me to answer in a
          private email, or publicly to this forum for all to share, just let
          me know.

          > Kevin Frye
          > Andersonville Historian / NPS Volunteer
          > www.angelfire. com/ga2/Anderson villeprison/
          >

          > Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
          > Jesus Christ and the American G I.
          >
          > One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        • Kevin Frye
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 20, 2007
            oooops.
            Correction.  Wirz arrived April 27 1864.

            Kevin

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          • jimmy thomason

              <Frye@...> wrote:

              > Hi Gang,
              > Sorry for the previous posting as I thought it was going
              private to Coly. Guess I better introduce myself. My name is Kevin
              Frye and I am a local part time historian and volunteer for the
              National Park Service at Andersonville National Historic Site. I
              have been here as a volunteer for more than 10 years and can answer
              any question,, well nearly any question you might think of about
              Andersonville. If I cant answer it, I will research and find the
              answer if its available. I have a copy of the park database here at
              my home which not only has details on those from the 20th who were
              and still are here but also has more than 41000 records of those
              held as POW at Andersonville. My offer for FREE research for the
              asking is simply an email away. If you prefer me to answer in a
              private email, or publicly to this forum for all to share, just let
              me know.

              > Kevin Frye
              > Andersonville Historian / NPS Volunteer
              > www.angelfire. com/ga2/Anderson villeprison/
              >

              > Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
              > Jesus Christ and the American G I.
              >
              > One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

              Checked by AVG Free Edition.

              "History is not the relation of campaigns and battles and generals or other individuals but that which shows the principles for which the South contended and which justified her struggle for those principles" Gen. Robert E. Lee

              http://mail.yahoo.com

            • Kevin Frye
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 20, 2007
                You are correct Jimmy.  The Civil War POW holding policy, no matter what the reasons were , and there were many, were a sad fate for the typical in the field soldier.  As usual, in all wars, it is the individual who pays the price in decisions made.  There are so many other prisons worth noting that were also failed experiments which was the case of Civil War POW sites.  Other horrible places in the North as you mentioned, Elmira, Point Lookout, Fort Delaware, Douglas in Chicago, Rock Island Illinois all come to mind as well as Confederate stockades such as Andersonville, Cahaba Alabama, Salisbury, Libby, Belle Island, Danville, Florence, Blackshire, Millen , Macon and Thomasville Georgia all come to mind.  Andersonville stands out because of the highest numbers held, dead and survivors, but the history of these other Hell Holes should not be forgotten.  The History Channel did a segment last year on Douglas and I was in hopes that they would continue shows about these I have mentioned that are not well known but maybe with forums like this, they will not be completely forgotten.

                Kevin

              • Kevin Frye
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 20, 2007
                  Code No: 44220
                  Grave No: 0
                  Last Name: Baker
                  First Name: William
                  Rank: Musician
                  Company: A
                  Regiment: 20
                  State: MA
                  Branch Of Service : Infantry
                  Date of Death:
                  Cause of Death:
                  Remarks* Exchanged March 8, 1865; mustered out July 16, 1865.
                  Reference: p 496 [33], MASS ADG RPT VOL II: 496
                  Place Captured: p 496 [33], MASS ADG RPT VOL II: 496
                  Date Captured: 6/3/1864
                  Alternate Names:
                  Muster date: 7/16/1862
                  Age at Muster: 19
                  More Information Available : NO

                  Code No: 10642
                  Grave No: 642
                  Last Name: Barge
                  First Name: Henry
                  Rank: Private
                  Company: E
                  Regiment: 20
                  State: MA
                  Branch Of Service : Infantry
                  Date of Death: 4/20/1864
                  Cause of Death: FEVER TYPHUS
                  Remarks* HENRY BARZ [1][2]
                  Reference: p 18 [3]; p 531 [33], MASS ADG RPT VOL II: 531
                  Place Captured:
                  Date Captured:
                  Alternate Names: Barz
                  Muster date:  4/8/1863
                  Age at Muster: 28
                  More Information Available : NO

                  Code No: 19078
                  Grave No: 9078
                  Last Name: Bauer
                  First Name: Michael
                  Rank: Private
                  Company: B
                  Regiment: 20
                  State: MA
                  Branch Of Service : Infantry
                  Date of Death: 9/17/1864
                  Cause of Death:  scorbutus
                  Remarks* MICHAEL BAUR, COMPANY A [1][2]; M. BANNER, COMPANY B [3]
                  Reference: p 18 [3]; p 504 [33], MASS ADG RPT VOL II: 504
                  Place Captured: Cold Harbor, Virginia
                  Date Captured: 6/3/1864
                  Alternate Names: Baur   Banner
                  Muster date:  8/7/1863
                  Age at Muster: 24
                  More Information Available : NO

                  Code No: 44242
                  Grave No: 0
                  Last Name: Baxter
                  First Name: John W.
                  Rank: Private
                  Company: K
                  Regiment: 20
                  State: MA
                  Branch Of Service : Infantry
                  Date of Death:
                  Cause of Death:
                  Remarks* Exchanged at Vicksburg, Mississippi, April 19, 1865. Released April 22, 1865 and mustered out June 16, 1865
                  Reference: p 577 [33], MASS ADG RPT VOL II: 577
                  Place Captured: North Anna River, Virginia
                  Date Captured: 5/21/1864
                  Alternate Names:
                  Muster date:  8/18/1863
                  Age at Muster: 21
                  More Information Available : NO

                  Code No: 44226
                  Grave No: 0
                  Last Name: Bohme
                  First Name: Franz
                  Rank: Private
                  Company: C
                  Regiment: 20
                  State: MA
                  Branch Of Service : Infantry
                  Date of Death:
                  Cause of Death:
                  Remarks* Exchanged November 26, 1864; discharged for disability, April 29, 1865.
                  Reference: p 513 [33], MASS ADG RPT VOL II: 513
                  Place Captured: Wilderness, Virginia
                  Date Captured: 5/6/1864
                  Alternate Names:
                  Muster date:  4/14/1864
                  Age at Muster: 26
                  More Information Available : NO

                  Code No:  44224
                  Grave No: 0
                  Last Name: Bornemann
                  First Name: Henry C. A.
                  Rank: Private
                  Company: B
                  Regiment: 20
                  State: MA
                  Branch Of Service : Infantry
                  Date of Death:
                  Cause of Death:
                  Remarks* Sent to Camp Lawton, Millen, Georgia November 11, 1865. Released April 22, 1865; mustered out May 29, 1865.
                  Reference: p 505 [33], MASS ADG RPT VOL II: 505
                  Place Captured: Wilderness, Virginia
                  Date Captured: 5/6/1864
                  Alternate Names: Burnaman
                  Muster date:  4/2/1864
                  Age at Muster: 31
                  More Information Available : NO

                  Code No: 50878
                  Grave No: 0
                  Last Name: Carney
                  First Name: William
                  Rank: Private
                  Company: K
                  Regiment: 20
                  State: MA
                  Branch Of Service : Infantry
                  Date of Death: 9/18/1864
                  Cause of Death: .
                  Remarks* Reported to have died at Andersonville, September 18, 1864.
                  Reference: p 578 [33], MASS ADG RPT VOL II: 578
                  Place Captured:
                  Date Captured:
                  Alternate Names:
                  Muster date:  8/5/1863
                  Age at Muster: 21
                  More Information Available : NO

                  Code No: 64066
                  Grave No: 0
                  Last Name: Chapman
                  First Name: Joseph
                  Rank: Private
                  Company: E
                  Regiment: 20
                  State: MA
                  Branch Of Service : Infantry
                  Date of Death:
                  Cause of Death:
                  Remarks* Sent to Andersonville, June 8, 1864. Died in prison at Florence, Souh Carolina, date unknown
                  Reference: MASS ADG RPT VOL II: 533
                  Place Captured: Cold Harbor, Virginia
                  Date Captured: 6/3/1864
                  Alternate Names:
                  Muster date: 8/8/1861
                  Age at Muster: 31
                  More Information Available : NO

                  Code No: 44235
                  Grave No: 0
                  Last Name: Constant
                  First Name: Francis
                  Rank: Private
                  Company: F
                  Regiment: 20
                  State: MA
                  Branch Of Service : Infantry
                  Date of Death:
                  Cause of Death:
                  Remarks* Joined Confederate Army while a prisoner. Recaptured, date not noted. Sent to Nashville, Tennessee and released July 6, 1865 on taking oath of allegiance. Mustered out July 24, 1865.
                  Reference: p 541 [33], MASS ADG RPT VOL II: 541
                  Place Captured: Wilderness, Virginia
                  Date Captured: 5/6/1864
                  Alternate Names:
                  Muster date:  4/1/1864
                  Age at Muster: 23
                  More Information Available : NO

                  Code No: 15409
                  Grave No: 5409
                  Last Name: Cott
                  First Name: John
                  Rank: Private
                  Company: K
                  Regiment: 20
                  State: MA
                  Branch Of Service : Infantry
                  Date of Death: 8/12/1864
                  Cause of Death: Anasarca
                  Remarks* J. COLT [3]
                  Reference: p 19 [3]; p 579 [33], MASS ADG RPT VOL II: 579
                  Place Captured: Wilderness, Virginia
                  Date Captured: 5/6/1864
                  Alternate Names: Colt
                  Muster date:  8/5/1863
                  Age at Muster: 22
                  More Information Available : NO

                  3 = List of Union Soldiers Buried at Andersonville; Dorence Atwater, 1865.

                  33 = Massachusetts Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines in the Civil War, Volume II; State of Massachusetts, 1931.

                • George
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 20, 2007
                    Hi Kevin, and thank you for your informative, detailed response
                    (and No, I don't believe that you unduly rambled!). I had no idea
                    that there were so many Winders; I presume that the Winder that I
                    was inquiring about to you with uncertainty was the General Winder
                    who died in February, 1865, but I guess that it could have been any
                    one of
                    them.

                    I have to say that your defense of Wirz at least in my case, falls
                    on deaf ears in the respect of his pleading for assistance from
                    Richmond and receiving none as it but reinforces the conviction in
                    my mind (as I originally posted) that officials in addition of Wirz
                    should have been held accountable for what happened at
                    Andersonville. If you feel that there was an injustice done to Wirz
                    for being the only one to "hold the bag" for Andersonville-yes I
                    agree with you! He should have had
                    company!

                    You made reference to Lincoln; one note that you may-or may not-
                    know is that during the War, his oft-repeated and advertised offers
                    of pardons and amnesty for Confederates did specifically exclude
                    those Confederates such as Wirz and Winder-ie. those involved in the
                    administration of Union POW's. Had Lincoln lived, we will never
                    know what he may have done, and Wirz may very well have had his
                    company on the gallows. Frankly, I am surprized that Andrew Johnson
                    allowed even Wirz to be hung, as no one else-including Jefferson
                    Davis-
                    was.

                    Thank you again for your response and detailed information! Are you
                    also involved with the touching and well-done Andersonville
                    website? If so, it is excellent, and I will visit it often. Thanks
                    again.
                    George.

                    10/19/2007 5:10 AM

                  • Kevin Frye