Re: Last Surviving Civil War Civilain

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2009
      When I was a kid in Maryland my father was in the church choir and I
      used to go with him to the nursing home where the choir would sing for
      the senior citizens. There was black man that resided there and it was
      said that he was a kid when the Civil War was being fought and that he
      lived on a plantation. He was not a slave but his parents were. He died
      in the early 1980's. How true that is I don't know but I will have to
      research it.

      Coly

      --- In 20th_Massachusetts_Infantry_Regiment@yahoogroups.com,
      "jammor2005" <jammor2005@...> wrote

      > I looked that up and found a man named Charlie Smith who claimed to
      have been born in 1842 and also claimed to be a former slave. He died in
      1979 which means he would have been 137 years old. That is assuming his
      claims are true.

      I believe it was discovered that Smith was not as old as he claimed and
      that he actually was born sometime in the 1870's.
    • vermouth_man
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 2, 2009
        I have noticed that the oldest living people will live to be between
        110 - 115 years old. With that information I estimate that someone born
        in 1865 could possibly have lived into the 1970s.
      • Bonnie M. Smolskis
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2009
          I remember working in a convalscent home back in 1973 and remember a couple of birthdates 1865

          Bonnie

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 4, 2009
            I found a Mary Walker who has been credited with being the last surviving slave.  She lived to be 121 years old and died in 1969 in Chattanooga, Tennessee. To read more about her click on the link below.

            Mary Walker

          • vermouth_man
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 6, 2009
              Thanks Coly and Bonnie. It is safe to say that the last person from that era died sometime in the 1970's.

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 11, 2009
                I did some more research and found a man from Japan that was born in 1865 and died in 1986. He was not in the United States during the war and the claim has been disputed but interesting. His name was Shigechiyo Izumi. For more information on him go here
              • Coly
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 31, 2009
                  I was looking through an old National Geographic and they had an article
                  on the Underground Railroad. In the article there was mention of a lady
                  named Mary Duckworth who was born in Mississippi in 1861 and died in
                  1983.