Re: Ball's Bluff Prisoners Arrive in Richmond

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2007
      Thanks for the article Teej.

      While at Libby Prison, Colonel William Lee and Major Paul Revere were
      held as hostages and were to be executed if the men taken from the
      Savannah were executed. I believe Charles Devens of the 15th
      Massachusetts was also in the group of officers scheduled to be executed.

      Coly

      --- In 20thMass@yahoogroups.com, "barringer63" <teej@...> wrote:

      > After much digging through old files I finally found a copy of
      > one of the Richmond newspapers that carried the story of the arrival
      > of the prisoners from the battle of Ball's Bluff. The article is too
      > long to post the whole thing here so I'll just share some of the
      > highlights. Think you'll find the way it starts very interesting.
      >
      > " ARRIVAL OF THE HESSIANS--On yesterday a special train of the
      > Central railroad company brought to this city at 101/2 A.M.another
      > large batch of Hessian prisoners; we believe five hundred and twenty-
      > five in number, including twenty-two officers. The prisoners were
      > part of those captured in the recent brilliant action at Leesburg,
      > between the Confederate forces headed by Gen. G. B. [sic] Evans; and
      > the Abolitionists headed by "General" Edward D. Baker and other
      > marauders, numbering many thousands."
      >
      > The article then goes on to describe the preparations made for the
      > expected prisoners and lists the 22 officers in that batch, among
      > them the two Reveres and Col. W.R. Lee, all 20th Mass.
      >
      > Concerning Louis Bell, the reporter wrote, "The negro spoken of as
      > being among the captives was recognized by Mr. Mayo as a slave and
      > former resident of this place (Richmond). He calls himself Louis A.
      > Bell and was acting at the time of his capture as servant to one of
      > the Massachusetts officers. He was dressed in semi-military costume.
      > He denied ever having been in the city before, and said he was born
      > and had resided all his life, prior to the present time, in
      > Washington D.C. The story was, no doubt, fabricated for the
      > occasion."
      >
      > The closing is very indicative of the times as well. "Counting all
      > the prisoners, we had an addition to our population yesterday 661
      > men. We came near saying 'souls,' but the parties spoken of left that
      > useless article at home when they set out on their plundering
      > expedition 'down South.' "
      >
      > Regards,
      > Teej

    • barringer63
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2007
        --- In 20thMass@yahoogroups.com, "lpydb" <lpydb@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for the article Teej.

        You're welcome.

        > While at Libby Prison, Colonel William Lee and Major Paul Revere
        were
        > held as hostages and were to be executed if the men taken from the
        > Savannah were executed. I believe Charles Devens of the 15th
        > Massachusetts was also in the group of officers scheduled to be
        executed.

        For anyone on the group who hasn't read it, I highly
        recommend "Prison-Life in the Tobacco Warehouse at Richmond, By a
        Ball's Bluff Priosner, Lieut. Wm. C. Harris, of Col. Baker's
        California Regiment." Lieutenant Harris gives a very poignant account
        of the drawing for hostages. The list is as follows:

        Col. Michael Corcoran, 69th N.Y. State Militia
        Col. M. Cogswell 42 N.Y. State Volunteers
        Col. W. Raymond Lee 20th Mass
        Col. W.E. Woodruff 2d Kentucky Vols.
        Col. A.M. Wood 14th New York State Militia
        Col. Orlando B. Wilcox 1st Michigan Vols.
        Lieut. Col. G.W. Neff 2nd Kentucky Vols
        Lieut. Col. Samuel Bowman 8th Pennsylvania Vols
        Major James D. Porter 38th New York Vols.
        Major T. J. Revere 20th Mass Vols
        Major Israel Vogdes United States Artillery
        Capt. Henry Bowman 15th Massachusetts Vols.
        Capt. Geo. W. Rockwood 15th Mass. Vols
        Capt. Francis J. Keffer, Colonel Baker's California Regiment.

        Captains Bowman and Keffer was chosen in a second drawing to
        replace Captains Ricketts and McQuaid both of whom had been wounded
        and Manassas and were confined to a hospital.

        Regards,
        Teej