American Civil War Trivia 14

  • Coly
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2009
      Here are the questions for this installment of trivia.

      1. Who was the last survivor of the battle between the Monitor and the
      Merrimac? What year did he die?

      2. What formation did infantry use to break a cavalry charge?

      3. A wooden plug used to plug the barrel of a musket was called what?

      4. What claim to fame does Maj. John Barry of the 18th North Carolina
      have?

      5. The largest escape from a Civil War prison camp occurred at what
      prison camp and how many escaped?

      6. On March 12, 1864 an open letter to the editor was published in the
      New York Herald that criticized George Meade's handling of the battle of
      Gettysburg. How was the letter signed who was the author?
    • vermouth_man
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 2, 2009
        #4 - Maj. Barry ordered his regiment to fire on Jackson at Chancellorsville.

        #5 - Andersonville was the prison camp. I am going to take a guess nd say 300.

        --- In 20th_Massachusetts_Infantry_Regiment@yahoogroups.com, "Coly" <lpydb@...> wrote:

        > Here are the questions for this installment of trivia.
        >
        > 1. Who was the last survivor of the battle between the Monitor and the
        > Merrimac? What year did he die?
        >
        > 2. What formation did infantry use to break a cavalry charge?
        >
        > 3. A wooden plug used to plug the barrel of a musket was called what?
        >
        > 4. What claim to fame does Maj. John Barry of the 18th North Carolina
        > have?
        >
        > 5. The largest escape from a Civil War prison camp occurred at what
        > prison camp and how many escaped?
        >
        > 6. On March 12, 1864 an open letter to the editor was published in the
        > New York Herald that criticized George Meade's handling of the battle of
        > Gettysburg. How was the letter signed who was the author?

      • Raymond OHara
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 2, 2009
          1

          1)
          2}square
          3)tampion
          4)his men shot stonewall
          5) andersonville, in a raid that presaged Patton's Heidleburg raid.
          6)Historicus, Dan Sickles. a good book is the "a caspian sea of ink", about the whole postwar meade-sickles controversy,

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 2, 2009
            > 2. What formation did infantry use to break a cavalry charge?

            A square.

            > 3. A wooden plug used to plug the barrel of a musket was called what?

            A "tampon".

            > 6. On March 12, 1864 an open letter to the editor was published in the
            > New York Herald that criticized George Meade's handling of the battle of
            > Gettysburg. How was the letter signed who was the author?

            "Historicus".
          • Coly
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 2, 2009
              So far questions 2, 3 and 4 have been answered correctly. One part of question 5 has been answered but I still need to know how many prisoners escaped. Question 6 is half right but I need to know the name of the author. Question 1 has not been answered but I will give you a hint. He was an African-American sailor who died at the age of 84.
            • Raymond OHara
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 3, 2009
                6 is historicus/dan sickles

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 3, 2009
                  Question 5 have been answered correctly. Historicus is how the letter was signed but who the actual author was is still unanswered. Question 1 is still unanswered. I will give the answers tomorrow at 8 PM.

                  Coly

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 4, 2009
                    I have no idea about question 1.

                    Question 6 I believe was an unknown staff officer in the 5th Corps.
                  • Coly
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 4, 2009
                      The answers to the trivia is:

                      1. Thomas Taylor, a black sailor, was the last survivor from the battle
                      between the Monitor and the Merrimack. He died in 1932.

                      2. Infantry used a square formation to break a cavalry charge.

                      3. A wooden plug pushed into the barrel of a musket was called a
                      Tampion.

                      4. Major John Barry of the 18th North Carolina ordered the firing on
                      Stonewall Jackson at Chancellorsville. He died 2 years after the war
                      ended because of depression.

                      5. The largest escape from a Civil War prison camp was Libby Prison
                      with 109 breaking out.

                      6. The letter was signed Historicus however the actual author remains a
                      mystery. Meade and Halleck believed it may have been Sickles but
                      historians believe Sickles got another person to actually write the
                      letter. Sickles never admitted to having anything to do with the letter.
                    • Raymond OHara
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 4, 2009
                        Sickles certainly provided the info and the talking points for the letter.