Re: Captain Magnitzky

  • jammor2005
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 11, 2009
      Have you checked the Boston Public library. I know they have a collection of letters.

      --- In 20th_Massachusetts_Infantry_Regiment@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara" <konfederatka@...> wrote:

      > John,
      > I'm delighted to hear that. I'm going to write the article in English as soon as I finish its version in my native language.

    • Barbara
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 11, 2009
        Yes, I did. The BPL collection of letters and reports is very useful. Thank you for the suggestion.
      • Coly
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 11, 2009
          I would love to read the article too.

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 14, 2009
            Barbara,

            I found this on the internet and thought it might help your article. It is in a book called Stories of our Soldiers: War Reminiscenes. It is a book about Civil War soldiers telling of their experiences. One of the soldiers is Captain Magnitzky who tells of his experiences at the battle of ball's Bluff. You can find the article online here Stories of our Soldiers

            Coly

            --- In 20th_Massachusetts_Infantry_Regiment@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara" <konfederatka@...> wrote:

            > I'm writing an article about Captain Gustave Magnitzky. I did some research in published works, as well as manuscript collections, but have still a few questions unanswered. For example: why Magnitzky is sometimes referred to as a Pole? (Is it only because of his surname?) Or, why was he demoted in 1862 (if he was really demoted)?
            > Wondering if anyone could help me?

          • Barbara
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 14, 2009
              Thank you so much, Coly. That's an excellent source.