Re: [20th_Massachusetts_Infantry_Regiment] American Civil War Trivia 7

  • Raymond ohara
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 3, 2009
      1] 1 WIA
      3] 141st Pa 75%
      4] 26th NC
      6] little round top.
      7] provide shade, copse of trees

      --- On Tue, 2/3/09, Coly <lpydb@...> wrote:
      From: Coly <lpydb@...>
      Subject: [20th_Massachusetts_Infantry_Regiment] American Civil War Trivia 7
      To: 20th_Massachusetts_Infantry_Regiment@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, February 3, 2009, 12:20 PM

      This weeks trivia is about Gettysburg.

      1. The 1st Vermont brigade had more men killed in battle then any other
      Union brigade during the war. How many total casualities did the brigade
      suffer at Gettysburg?

      2. The 20th Massachusetts would go into Gettysburg with 13 officers. By
      the end of the battle 3 would be killed, 7 wounded and 3 would escape
      uninjured. Which 3 officers would escape uninjured?

      3. The 1st Minnesota would suffer a 82.0% casualty rate at Gettysburg
      which is the highest of any Union regiment during the war. The Union
      regiment with the second highest casualty rate at a battle was also at
      Gettysburg. Which regiment was it?

      4. What Confederate regiment had the highest casualty rate at
      Gettysburg?

      5. What 3 Union generals received an official Thanks of Congress for
      their part at Gettysburg?

      6. What location at Gettysburg did the Rochester Racehorses and the
      Butterfield Twins fight?

      7. What part did the Fagaceae family play at the battle of Gettysburg?

    • robert blama
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 3, 2009
        what was the percent casualties for the 24th Mich

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 4, 2009
          I will post the answers tonight.
        • Teej Smith
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 4, 2009
            >I will post the answers tonight.

            I'll take a shot at:
            What 3 Union generals received an official Thanks of Congress for
            their part at Gettysburg?

            On Jan. 28, 1864 a petition containing an official Thanks of Congress
            was tendered to Generals Joseph Hooker, George Meade and O.O. Howard. On May
            30, 1866 a similar petition bestowed the Thanks of Congress on Major General
            Winfield Scott Hancock.

            Regards,
            Teej
          • Coly
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 4, 2009
              Here are the answers:

              1. The 1st Vermont Brigade along with the VI Corps were held in reserve
              during Gettysburg and only suffered one casualty.

              2. Lt. John Summerhayes, Lt. William Perkins and Major Henry Abbott
              would escape wounding at Gettysburg.

              3. 141 Pennsylvania was second with a 75.7% casualty rate. To answer
              Robert's question the 24th Michigan had a 63.7% casualty rate which was
              fourth of all Union regiments at Gettysburg. The 111th New York was
              third with a 63.8% casualty rate.

              4. 26th North Carolina had the highest casualty rate of any Confederate
              regiment at Gettysburg with 71.7%

              5. Generals Oliver Howard, George Meade and Winfield Hancock received
              Thanks of Congress for their actions at Gettysburg. Joe Hooker received
              Thanks of Congress for his part at beginning of the Gettysburg campaign
              but not the battle itself.

              6. The Rochester Racehorses (140th New York) and the Butterfield Twins (
              83th Pennsylvania and 44th New York) fought at Little Round Top.

              7. At the Copse of Trees are White Oaks which is a sub family of the
              Fagacae (Beech) family.
            • Lisa Jones
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
                Coly, Just wanted to let you know I think the trivia is great! Keep up the good work! Thanks LJ

                ----------
                Sent from the Cingular network using Mobile Email

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009

                  Abner Doubleday in his book on Gettysburg has some very harsh things to say about Howard and I tend to agree.
                  Howatd seems to have gone far beyond his skill level based solely
                  on his being "a fine christian gentleman" he was a disaster at C-ville and G-burg,
                  and nothing he did under sherman impresses me.
                  but to his credit he did found the fine university that still bears his name.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
                    Several years ago, I read a story set during the 50th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg that was centered around a veteran of the 26th North Carolina.  If anyone is interested, I can post it here.

                    Deana J. Shaffer

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009

                      Deana Shaffer wrote:

                      Several years ago, I read a story set during the 50th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg that was centered around a veteran of the 26th North Carolina.  If anyone is interested, I can post it here.

                          As a Tar Heel, I definitely would be interested. Thanks.

                      Regards,
                      Teej

                    • Raymond ohara
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
                        i'm interested.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
                          Me too.
                          Jim Lamason.

                          BTW, Do you have Covered with GLory ? The Rod Gragg book?
                          Jim