Re: [20th_Massachusetts_Infantry_Regiment] Re: On November 23, 1861, Harper's Weekly featured a cartoon about the Trent Affair

  • Jeffry Burden
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 25, 2008
      ...although, to be precise, the officers (and hundreds of others captured at those battles) actually QACwere being held in various tobacco warehouses, or associated hospitals like General Hospital #1, in or near downtown Richmond.  Libby Prison, a one-time ship chandlery, didn't open as a prison until March 1862.  Revere and the others may have been housed at Libby after that, depending on when they were released.

      Jeffry
      http://thesoldiersofshockoehill.com

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 25, 2008

        Jeffry Burden wrote:

        ...although, to be precise, the officers (and hundreds of others captured at those battles) actually QACwere being held in various tobacco warehouses, or associated hospitals like General Hospital #1, in or near downtown Richmond.  Libby Prison, a one-time ship chandlery, didn't open as a prison until March 1862.  Revere and the others may have been housed at Libby after that, depending on when they were released.

            According to Lieut. William C. Harris of Col. Baker's California Regiment word came to the officers and men incarcerated in Liggon & Co. Tobacco Warehouse on Feb. 19, 1862 they were to be paroled after taking the usual oath. They didn't actually leave the warehouse until the evening of Feb. 22.

        Regards,
        Teej

      • Raymond ohara
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 25, 2008

          mine too. i used to go there with edward rowe snow.
          the hatbor islands in general are a great resource.
          its sad how most of the city ignores/is unaware of what great places they are,

          Slidell and Mason were held at Ft. warren in Boston Harbor still one of my favorite spots

          wrote:

          > (http:///)
          > (http://www.nytimes. com/learning/ teachers/ lessons/20010402 monday.html)
          > (http:///)
          >
          > On November 23, 1861, Harper's Weekly featured a cartoon about the
          Trent
          > Affair, a diplomatic crisis between the United States and Britain
          during the
          > American Civil War.
          > Click on the image to open a larger version of the cartoon or _read
          the
          > caption and explanation_

          (http://www.nytimes. com/learning/ general/onthisda y/harp/1123. html#explan\
          ation