November 1, 1861

  • WEB455@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 1, 2008
      Gen. George B. McClellan was made general-in-chief of the Union armies.

      Tony

    • WEB455@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 1, 2010
        Gen. George B. McClellan was made general-in-chief of the Union armies.

        Tony
      • Crystal
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 2, 2010
          Lincoln regretted that decision.

          --- In 20th_Massachusetts_Infantry_Regiment@yahoogroups.com, WEB455@... wrote:

          > Gen. George B. McClellan was made general-in-chief of the Union armies.
          >
          > Tony

        • Raymond OHara
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 2, 2010
            I don't know if it was regret as much as disappointed.
            organizationally Lil'Mac was essential to the AoP despite his subsequent failure as a field commander

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 3, 2010
              Something I always wanted to know was McClellan was yellow or did his
              sympathy for the South affect his decisions?

              --- In 20th_Massachusetts_Infantry_Regiment@yahoogroups.com, Raymond
              OHara <raymondohara@...> wrote:

              > I don't know if it was regret as much as disappointed.organizationally
              Lil'Mac was essential to the AoP despite his subsequent failure
              as a field commander

            • Teej Smith
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 3, 2010
                Vermouth Man wrote:

                Something I always wanted to know was McClellan was yellow or did his
                sympathy for the South affect his decisions?

                McClellan's Mexican War record would indicate that he did not lack
                personal courage. As for "sympathy for the South," I think it was more of a
                case that McClellan never lost hope that conciliation with the South was
                possible as long as the aim of the war stayed focused on restoring the
                Union.

                Regards,
                Teej
              • vermouth_man
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 3, 2010
                  Charging an enemy's fort under fire takes courage however to order men
                  to charge a fort is an entirely different matter. I believe McClellan
                  may have been to nice to be a a field general.

                  --- In 20th_Massachusetts_Infantry_Regiment@yahoogroups.com, "Teej

                • CashG79@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 3, 2010

                    In a message dated 11/3/2010 3:34:21 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, vermouth_man@... writes:
                    Something I always wanted to know was McClellan was yellow or did his
                    sympathy for the South affect his decisions?
                    ------------

                    Or did he believe that Americans fighting Americans was enough of a tragedy and to add massive destruction and casualties to that would be truly horrific?

                    Regards,
                    Cash

                  • Teej Smith
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 3, 2010
                      Vermouth Man wrote:

                      > Charging an enemy's fort under fire takes courage however to order men
                      > to charge a fort is an entirely different matter. I believe McClellan
                      > may have been to nice to be a a field general.

                      Personally, I think McClellan was too self-absorbed to really care about
                      his men. He was cautious for his own reasons. That those reasons worked out
                      well for his men was fortunate for them.

                      Regards,
                      Teej

                    • vermouth_man
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 3, 2010

                        >Or did he believe that Americans fighting Americans was enough of a tragedy and to add massive destruction and casualties to that would be truly horrific?>

                        If he believed that then why not just resign?

                        > Personally, I think McClellan was too self-absorbed to really care about
                        > his men. He was cautious for his own reasons. That those reasons worked out
                        > well for his men was fortunate for them.
                        >
                        > Regards,
                        > Teej

                        McClellan did have a high opinion of himself but I do think he cared for the men.

                      • Raymond OHara
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 3, 2010
                          He lacked moral courage.
                          he didn't have the inner faith in himself that could allow him to give the big orders.
                          his plans were fine but he could never just order the balls out attack

                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 3, 2010

                            In a message dated 11/3/2010 7:18:01 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, vermouth_man@... writes:

                            >Or did he believe that Americans fighting Americans was enough of a tragedy and to add massive destruction and casualties to that would be truly horrific?>

                            If he believed that then why not just resign?

                            -------------
                            If he believed it, then quite obviously he couldn't resign, since he was the only man capable of preventing that horrific result.

                            Regards,
                            Cash
                          • WEB455@AOL.COM
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 3, 2010
                              Well at least he designed a decent saddle. :o)

                              Tony

                              Smith" <teej@...> wrote:

                              > Vermouth Man wrote:
                              >

                              > Something I always wanted to know was McClellan was yellow or did his
                              > sympathy for the South affect his decisions?
                              >
                              > McClellan's Mexican War record would indicate that he did not lack
                              > personal courage. As for "sympathy for the South," I think it was more
                              of a
                              > case that McClellan never lost hope that conciliation with the South
                              was
                              > possible as long as the aim of the war stayed focused on restoring the
                              > Union.
                              >
                              > Regards,
                              > Teej

                            • Raymond OHara
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 4, 2010
                                I've read varying opinions on that.

                              • WEB455@AOL.COM
                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 4, 2010
                                  It couldn't have been that bad.  Today, the McClellan saddle is used by ceremonial mounted units in the US Army.The saddle was used by several other nations, including Rhodesia and Mexico, and to a degree by the British in the Boer War. It's the 21st Century and they are still using it in the US Army. His bones are probably long gone yet his saddle lives on. Nobody has developed a better mouse trap since the Army adopted it in 1859. Obliviously it must still be produced. Although I don't know the life span of a saddle, but I don't think a 151 year old saddle would still be serviceable nor one that is 80 years old.

                                  Tony