Civil War Pension Records on line

  • bsmolskis
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 16, 2008
      Some of us not too long ago were talking about pension records for
      membership to the Civil War Organizations. Came across this news
      article tonight. It might help some of the members here find their
      ancestors. I plan to check to see if my Great Great Grandmother
      comes up. I already have her pension records the old fasion way.
      Just think for a widow and four kids the monthly pension was eight
      dollar a month from 1865 to 1902.

      Bonnie

      Footnote.com Releases Civil War Widows' Pension Records
      Civil War Widows' Pension Now Available on the Internet for the First
      Time

      Last update: 6:19 a.m. EDT Oct. 16, 2008

      LINDON, Utah, Oct 16, 2008 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Today, Footnote.com
      released the first digitized versions of the Civil War Widows'
      Pension Files.
      Through its partnership with the National Archives and Records
      Administration (NARA) and FamilySearch, Footnote.com has worked
      together to prepare, scan, index and now publish these highly popular
      original documents. "These are one of the most heavily used series of
      original records at the National Archives," said James Hastings, NARA
      Director of Access Programs.
      Having never been microfilmed before, the Civil War Pension Files
      were previously accessible only at the National Archives in
      Washington, DC. Now, through this project, anyone can access these
      records via the internet exclusively on Footnote.com.
      "The significance to family historians is obvious," says Cynthia Fox,
      a NARA Deputy Director. "However, these records offer much to the
      scholarly community as well. They document the lives of common
      Americans, people who rarely left journals or collections of letters.
      They often tell the life stories of people whose daily lives would
      otherwise be undocumented. Having these records online opens this
      virtually untapped resource for the study of social history in new
      and exciting ways."
      Footnote.com has additional paper-to-digital projects on the site
      including:
      - The Southern Claims Commission
      - WWII & Vietnam War Photos
      - Homestead Records.
      "It's crucial to preserve this information and make it available on
      the internet where more people can interact with these records,"
      explains Russ Wilding, CEO of Footnote.com. "At Footnote.com we
      believe it's all about people connecting with history in a unique
      way, and our goal is to make sure we provide the best content to help
      make that connection."
      Footnote.com now features over 45 million records ranging from the
      time of the Pilgrims and the Revolutionary War to the Vietnam War.
      Millions of documents are added every month with increasing numbers
      of people adding their own piece of history to the Footnote.com site
      through photos, documents, letters and stories.
      Visitors can view every image on Footnote.com by signing up for a
      free seven-day trial. To learn more, visit www.footnote.com today.
      About Footnote.com
      Footnote.com is a history website where real history might just
      surprise you. Footnote.com features millions of searchable original
      documents, providing users with an unaltered view of the events,
      places and people that shaped the American nation and the world. At
      Footnote.com, all are invited to come share, discuss, and collaborate
      on their discoveries with friends, family, and colleagues. For more
      information, visit www.footnote.com.
    • Robert Moore
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 16, 2008
        Bonnie,

        I saw this too and it is amazing.

        Robert

[...]

      • Bonnie M. Smolskis
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 16, 2008
          I tried it with my great great grandmother's name and it didn't come up with anything.

          Bonnie

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 16, 2008
            They aren't done yet. If you will notice, they actually tell how far they have gotten along in completing the compilation in percentage. Also, their indexing isn't good. If they tightened that up, the stuff there would be top notch.