Re: [20th_Massachusetts_Infantry_Regiment] Civil War Trivia 1

  • Kevin Frye
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 16, 2008
      Yep... Beats the two I was thinking of.  Two from the Michigan 4th were killed by friendly forces in a cross fire when Jeff Davis was captured on May 10.  I was always under the impression they were the last.  Thanks for the correction.

      Kevin

      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 16, 2008
        Duncan, welcome to the group.

        1. Correct - Judith Henry was the first civilian killed at the battle of
        Bull Run.

        2. Correct - Pvt. Williams of the 34th Indiana was that last man killed
        in the Civil War. he was killed at the battle of Palmito Ranch on May
        13, 1865.

        3. Robert E. Lee is incorrect

        4. Correct - You had to be over the age of 45 which is why they have the
        name Greybeards. Their main duty during the war was guarding prisoners.

        5. Not quite Teej, He did get paid an amount.

        6. Correct - Hooker, Sumner,Porter, Franklin, Burnside and Mansfield.
      • Teej
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 16, 2008
          Coly wrote;

          > 5. Not quite Teej, He did get paid an amount.

          Hmm...guess the book "Warhogs: A History of War Profits in America" by
          Stuart D. Brandes was wrong. Brandes wrote that Vanderbilt refused
          compensation. After the war Congress gave him their thanks and a gold medal
          and although he accepted it graciously, it more likely he would have rather
          have had his ship back. <gr>
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 16, 2008
            Teej,

            According to my research he was paid $1. You may as well say he gave
            it away for free.

            Any guesses on question #3.

            --- In 20th_Massachusetts_Infantry_Regiment@yahoogroups.com, "Teej"
            <teej@...> wrote:

            > Coly wrote;
            > >
            > > 5. Not quite Teej, He did get paid an amount.
            >
            > Hmm...guess the book "Warhogs: A History of War Profits in
            America" by
            > Stuart D. Brandes was wrong. Brandes wrote that Vanderbilt refused
            > compensation. After the war Congress gave him their thanks and a
            gold medal
            > and although he accepted it graciously, it more likely he would
            have rather
            > have had his ship back. <gr>

          • Teej
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 16, 2008
              Coly wrote:

              > Teej,
              >
              > According to my research he was paid $1. You may as well say he gave
              > it away for free.

              Well, you are the quizmaster so I defer to your research. Umm...I guess
              this means I don't win the Mercedes, huh?

              > Any guesses on question #3.

              Still working on it.

              Regard,
              Teej

            • Thomas Chronister
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 16, 2008
                Thanks for the trivia.  Made for an informative evening

                Tom

                <teej@...> wrote:

                > Coly wrote;
                > >
                > > 5. Not quite Teej, He did get paid an amount.
                >
                > Hmm...guess the book "Warhogs: A History of War Profits in
                America" by
                > Stuart D. Brandes was wrong. Brandes wrote that Vanderbilt refused
                > compensation. After the war Congress gave him their thanks and a
                gold medal
                > and although he accepted it graciously, it more likely he would
                have rather
                > have had his ship back. <gr>

              • kupfernick
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 17, 2008
                  Then that would Leave Joseph E. Johnston who was also a classmate of
                  R.E. Lee

                  I am also curious as to how my name got on the invite list but am
                  certainly grateful!

                  Sam

                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 17, 2008
                    Sam,

                    I got your username from a Civil War Yahoo Group and invited you.

                    The question was who was Colonel William Lee's roomate at West Point not
                    who was Robert E. Lee's roomate.

                    Coly

                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 17, 2008
                      Since no one got number 3 I will give the answer. Colonel William
                      Lee's roomate at West Point was jefferson Davis.

                      I will post new trivia next Monday.

                      Coly

                      --- In 20th_Massachusetts_Infantry_Regiment@yahoogroups.com, "lpydb"
                      <lpydb@...> wrote:

                      > Sam,
                      >
                      > I got your username from a Civil War Yahoo Group and invited you.
                      >
                      > The question was who was Colonel William Lee's roomate at West
                      Point not
                      > who was Robert E. Lee's roomate.
                      >
                      > Coly
                      > --- In 20th_Massachusetts_Infantry_Regiment@yahoogroups.com,
                      > "kupfernick" <kupfernick@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Then that would Leave Joseph E. Johnston who was also a classmate
                      of
                      > > R.E. Lee
                      > >
                      > > I am also curious as to how my name got on the invite list but am
                      > > certainly grateful!
                      > >
                      > > Sam
                      > >

                      > > > 3. Robert E. Lee is incorrect
                      > > >
                      > > > 4. Correct - You had to be over the age of 45 which is why they
                      > > have the
                      > > > name Greybeards. Their main duty during the war was guarding
                      > > prisoners.
                      > > >
                      > > > 5. Not quite Teej, He did get paid an amount.
                      > > >
                      > > > 6. Correct - Hooker, Sumner,Porter, Franklin, Burnside and
                      > > Mansfield.

                    • Raymond ohara
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 17, 2008

                        i'm sure we were all thinking a general, its east to forget jeff was a west pointer.

                        <lpydb@...> wrote:

                        > Sam,
                        >
                        > I got your username from a Civil War Yahoo Group and invited you.
                        >
                        > The question was who was Colonel William Lee's roomate at West
                        Point not
                        > who was Robert E. Lee's roomate.
                        >
                        > Coly
                        > --- In 20th_Massachusetts_ Infantry_ Regiment@ yahoogroups. com,
                        > "kupfernick" <kupfernick@ > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Then that would Leave Joseph E. Johnston who was also a classmate
                        of
                        > > R.E. Lee
                        > >
                        > > I am also curious as to how my name got on the invite list but am
                        > > certainly grateful!
                        > >
                        > > Sam
                        > >

                        > > > 3. Robert E. Lee is incorrect
                        > > >
                        > > > 4. Correct - You had to be over the age of 45 which is why they
                        > > have the
                        > > > name Greybeards. Their main duty during the war was guarding
                        > > prisoners.
                        > > >
                        > > > 5. Not quite Teej, He did get paid an amount.
                        > > >
                        > > > 6. Correct - Hooker, Sumner,Porter, Franklin, Burnside and
                        > > Mansfield.

                      • Brooks D. Simpson
                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 17, 2008
                          --- In 20th_Massachusetts_Infantry_Regiment@yahoogroups.com, Raymond
                          ohara <raymondohara@...> wrote:

                          > i'm sure we were all thinking a general, its east to forget jeff was
                          a west pointer.

                          Davis never forgot.
                        • Teej
                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 18, 2008
                            Brooks Simpson wrote:

                            Davis never forgot.

                            LOL...you got that right and Jeff made sure none of his generals ever
                            forgot it either. :-)

                            Regards,
                            Teej
                          • Lord Jim
                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 18, 2008
                              Teej,

                              Jefferson Davis' delusions of being a military leader due to his blind luck in Mexico and his West Point education most likely cost the Confederacy the war. From the standpoint  of what was best for the Confederacy, it would have been far preferable to have made him a general instead of President. HIs ineptitude in the strategy would have gotten him killed fairly early in the war and his cronyism and ego would not necessarilly have cost the South it's independence.
                            • Brooks D. Simpson
                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 18, 2008
                                --- In 20th_Massachusetts_Infantry_Regiment@yahoogroups.com, "Lord Jim"
                                <Lord_Jim@...> wrote:

                                > Teej,
                                >
                                > Jefferson Davis' delusions of being a military leader due to his
                                blind luck in Mexico and his West Point education most likely cost the
                                Confederacy the war. From the standpoint of what was best for the
                                Confederacy, it would have been far preferable to have made him a
                                general instead of President. HIs ineptitude in the strategy would have
                                gotten him killed fairly early in the war and his cronyism and ego
                                would not necessarilly have cost the South it's independence.

                                However, Jim, who among the available political leaders could have done
                                a better job?
                              • Raymond ohara
                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 18, 2008

                                  who would they have replaced him with?
                                  nobody else in the south had the prestige to keep we everybody in line.

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Sep 18, 2008
                                    Brooks, that's just it as far as the Davis Presidency is concerned. Therein lies the problem. However there were a number of men who had served in the senate and other positions in government. I fail to see how any of them could have done any worse.Davis' arrogance and his outright delusions of being an actual military leader coupled with his cronyism toward those who would simply agree with him were disasterous to the Confederacy in the long run.