Re: Descendants of 20th Massachusetts Soldiers

  • cskuzel
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 11, 2007
      --- In 20thMass@yahoogroups.com, "jammor2005" <jammor2005@...> wrote:

      > I was wondering if there are any descendants of soldiers who fought
      in
      > the 20th Massachusetts.

      I am listed on the 20th Massachusetts website and just recently joined
      this group. My great-great granduncle, Oliver S. Bates, served in
      Company A of the 20th from August 1861 until his death in August
      1864. He was reported wounded at Fredericksburg and Gettysburg, but
      probably not seriously wounded, as he did not miss any battles.
      He was wounded in the left leg from a shell on June 24, 1864 while on
      picket duty during the Battle of the Jerusalem Plank Road in the
      Petersburg campaign. After having his leg amputated in vain he died
      August 18, 1864, at Slough Hospital, Alexandria, VA. I learned of his
      service four years ago while doing genealogical research for my family
      history.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 13, 2007
        We have several descendants of the 20th Massachusetts on here in fact, a
        descendant of George Macy posted a picture of Macy with General Meade in
        the photo section. If you look at past messages you will see several
        questions on a member's ancestor being in this regiment.

        Jim and Carol, you are very lucky that you know something about your
        ancestors in the Civil War. We are at a time now that people who were
        young when a lot of the Civil War veterans were still alive are
        beginning to die off and their stories will be lost forever.