Message Board for Hall's Brigade

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 7, 2007
      As all of you can tell this site has gone down hill since it first
      started. In fact most yahoo groups have become a gathering place for
      spammers. Because of the drop in participation I was thinking of
      starting a message board with proboards.com on the brigade that the
      20th Massachusetts served in. This would give us more people in the
      group. It would also give us a chance to talk about more than the Civil
      War which you can't do on Yahoo.

      I would really appreciate it if the people in this group would give me
      some feedback on this idea. Do you like it? Do you hate it? Please let
      me know.
    • jimapril20715
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 8, 2007
        I think that may be a good idea. Not everyone has the interest in just
        the 20th and it would help me expand my education abouttheir service. I
        read Richard Miller's book and am interested in the others in the unit
        barely mentioned, particularly the Irish, there were many. At the same
        time, I wish I could have contributed more. Thanks for what we have.

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 10, 2007
          Thanks for your reply Jim. You are the only one who has expressed
          interest in a possible message board for Hall's Brigade. That is not
          to say other people in this group aren't interested they may have not
          have had time to respond. I would also need to find people who have an
          interest in the other regiments to see if they would want to join. The
          problem is the 20th Massachusetts is the only one with a website. The
          7th Michigan and 42nd New York have a website for re-enactors but no
          mention of how to contact the members. The 59th New York and 19th
          Massachusetts had nothing. I would also add that the group could talk
          about more than Civil War.

          You also mentioned learning more about the Irish. Are you talking
          about the Irish Brigade or the Irish that was in Hall's Brigade? I
          know the 20th Massachusetts had a company of Irish and I believe the
          42nd New York also had some Irish companies.

          --- In 20thMass@yahoogroups.com, "jimapril20715" <theaprils@...> wrote:

          > I think that may be a good idea. Not everyone has the interest in just
          > the 20th and it would help me expand my education abouttheir service. I
          > read Richard Miller's book and am interested in the others in the unit
          > barely mentioned, particularly the Irish, there were many. At the same
          > time, I wish I could have contributed more. Thanks for what we have.
        • jammor2005
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 14, 2007
            That sounds like a great idea! I have just three questions:

            1. Have you thought about doing an entire website on Hall's Brigade?

            2. Would the message board cover the brigade throughout the war or
            just when Colonel Hall was in command?

            3. What other regiments was in the brigade besides the 20th Massachusetts?
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 17, 2007
              To answer your questions:

              1. I have thought about doing an entire website but that would take
              some time to develop. I may do one in the future.

              2. The message board would cover the regiments in the brigade from
              Ball's Bluff to Appomattox. The Board would be about the brigade I
              just call it Hall's Brigade because that is who people associate the
              regiments with.

              3. The brigade was composed of the 20th and 19th Massachusetts, 42nd
              New York and 7th Michigan. The 59th New York would join the brigade at
              Antietam and the 127th Pennsylvania would be in the brigade during the
              battles of Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville. In the spring of 1864
              brigades would be consolidated and the regiments above would join the
              82nd and 155th New York, 19th Maine, 15th Massachusetts, 36th
              Wisconsin, 1st Minnesota and 184th Pennsylvania.