Civil War Uniforms: 5 Tips on Making Trousers that Last Forever!

  • paulamccoach
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2005
      Civil War Uniforms: 5 Tips on Making Trousers that Last Forever!

      By Paula and Coach McCoach
      http://www.civilwaruniforms.net

      Are your pants wearing out too fast?

      Does it look like you are expecting a flood because your pants are
      too short?

      Make your Civil War Uniform trousers last forever by following these
      5 tips!

      1. Cut your trousers long, so when you first start wearing them you
      will have to roll them up a few times. Your inseam should be a few
      inches longer.

      Don't worry! It is authentic to roll them up.

      "Why should I do this?" You might say.

      Because they will shrink every time you wash and wear them!

      2. All my pants are either jean cloth or cotton – I don't have any
      wool because so many reenactments are hot! That is why I recommend
      you try to find a jean cloth. Jean cloth will be cooler.

      3. Find a jean cloth that does not itch too badly. Or you can line
      your jean cloth pants if you have sensitive skin, but they will be
      so much cooler than wool pants.

      Cotton pants are perfectly all right...they are documented in ECHOES
      OF GLORY: ARMS AND EQUIPMENT OF THE CONFEDERACY.

      The military pattern was created from the civilian patterns of the
      day. Pick a style you like and get a pattern for it and follow the
      directions on the pattern

      4. All stitching that shows on your trousers needs to be hand done
      as well as all the buttonholes.

      I recommend using bone or metal buttons can be used. Some metal
      buttons can rust and stain your pants.

      Brass would be a good metal to use if you are going for metal
      buttons, which are more durable.

      You want strong buttons on your trousers because of all the wear and
      tear they will get. Stay away from shell or glass buttons because
      they will break.

      5. Another suggestion is to put a back button on your trousers, so
      the material does not rip and to give this part of your pants as
      much strength as possible.

      So, now your pants will last for many reenactments to come!

      Coach McCoach invites you to join the Civil War Uniform newsletter
      and receive 41 FREE money and time saving ideas for improving your
      Civil War Impression. Go to http://www.civilwaruniforms.net

      2005 permission granted to reprint this article in print or on your
      website so long as the contact information is included to
      coach@... or http://www.civilwaruniforms.net

      Send other interested Civil War Reenactors to
      http://www.civilwaruniforms.net
      so they can get their own free course.