How Should You Wear Your Civil War Slouch Hat?

  • paulamccoach
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2005
      How Should You Wear Your Civil War Slouch Hat?
      By Paula and Coach McCoach

      Small features like how you wear your slouch hat will enhance your
      Civil War uniform impression – without spending another dime. If you
      look at original photographs, you will discover that Civil War
      soldiers wore the brim up. The Indiana Jones brim turned down cannot
      be found in photographs of the period.

      Common colors of slouch hats were black, silver gray, brown and tan.
      Any felt hat of the period will do. Generally speaking, they wore
      their hats on their heads. Sometimes they cocked it off to one side –
      but they did not push it back.

      Men of the Victorian period wore their hats all the time when they
      were outside – unless they were taking them off as a sign of
      respect. Winter or summer – they wore their hats. Wheel hats and
      straw hats were also worn in the summer. I found I could not find
      many photographs of winter hats. My theory is that the cold
      temperatures interfered with the chemical reaction in the photography
      development.

      I try to stay away from anything fancy on my hat. Hat brass, cords,
      pinning the side of the hat up would be the exception to the rule. I
      believe generic is the best. A generic felt hat with a medium size
      brim worn wither with a flat or bee hive top possibly with some type
      of crease or the hat tilted off to the side is what I have observed
      in photographs most often. Wearing the brim up was the rage during
      that time period.

      Coach McCoach has been a Civil War reenactor in the 4th North
      Carolina Infantry, 2nd Virginia Regiment, and 21st Virginia Company
      B. Coach has received the "Authenticity Award" from these companies
      several times for his Civil War Uniform Impression. Coach's Civil War
      uniform designs have been seen in the movies GETTYSBURG, Antietam
      Visitors Center, ANDERSONVILLE.

      For more information, contact coach@... or go to
      http://www.civilwaruniforms.net

      2005 permission granted to reprint this article in print or on your
      website so long as the paragraph above is included and the contact
      information is included to coach@... and
      http://www.civilwaruniforms.net