Should You Try to Make Your Civil War Uniform Look "Rubbed Out?

  • paulamccoach
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 16, 2004
      Should You Try to Look 'Rubbed Out'?
      By Paula and Coach McCoach
      http://www.civilwaruniforms.net

      Looking 'rubbed out' means having your uniform look like it is worn
      out as if it has been on the march for years as the real Civil War
      soldiers' uniform probably looked.

      Due to the hard campaigning done by the Civil War Soldier, pants
      would usually last about 1 month before they started to get ragged
      or, as the Victorians would say 'tattered'. Jackets would
      be 'tattered' within about 2 months on the march. A word often used
      to describe their uniforms was 'rubbed out' not worn out, as we would
      say in modern times.

      I would not try to look 'rubbed out' on purpose. I couldn't
      purposely harm my uniform to get a certain look. To me, my uniform is
      something I took great pains to acquire and in my case I made my
      pants, jacket, shirts, suspenders, and haversacks with my own hands
      and time.

      My uniform is something I honor. I know I sound 'saintly'
      but I feel strongly about protecting the integrity of my uniform
      and of the Civil War soldier. They would have never purposely
      damaged their uniforms.

      If you do want to look rubbed out naturally, but like me, you
      don't want to purposely harm it just wear your uniform all the time.

      I wear my jacket frequently - If I go shopping or out to eat,
      I wear my jacket and vests.

      And, guess what, people ask me where I got them!

      If you do want to get a quicker rubbed out look (which I would not
      do) take a stiff bristled brush and hit it in the elbows and work
      some fuzz. Take a razor and shave off the fuzz...like wearing it
      out. But, I don't
      recommend this - as if you didn't know that already!

      If you still want to look "rubbed out," instead of deliberately
      harming you uniform, why not try doing the the real soldiers did?
      When Confederate and Union soldiers were on the march, keeping clean
      was difficult. Camping by a stream was a chance for them to wash
      some of their clothes as well as themselves.

      To add some authenticity to your impression at a reenactment, pin
      your socks to your uniform and dry them out, as they would have done.

      Sling your shoes over the other shoulder and go barefooted. You know
      barefooted soldiers were a very common site, especially in Lee's army.

      After several seasons of reenacting, your uniform will get some wear
      to it and look "more rubbed out" without doing anything to it.
      Remember, Civil War soldiers took the utmost pains to stay neat and
      clean and tidy. Isn't that more authentic in the long run –
      preserving the true spirit of the Civil War soldier!

      Coach McCoach has been a Civil War reenactor in the 4th North
      Carolina Infantry, 2nd Virginia Regiment, and 21st Virginia Company
      B. Coach has received the "Authenticity Award" from these companies
      several times for his Civil War Uniform Impression. Coach's Civil War
      uniform designs have been seen in the movies GETTYSBURG, Antietam
      Visitors Center, ANDERSONVILLE.

      For more information, contact coach@... or go to
      http://www.civilwaruniforms.net

      2003 permission granted to reprint this article in print or on your
      website so long as the paragraph above is included and the contact
      information is included to coach@... and
      http://www.civilwaruniforms.net