6209Re: Wish I had been well enought to have attended 150th Anniversary

  • Coly H
    Jul 24, 2013

      Welcome to the group, William. We have several descendants of 20th Massachusetts soldiers in the group and it is always good to see new ones join. Feel free to look around the group as there are plenty of photos, list of battles, casualty stats and even a transcript of a chat we had with Jeffery Stocker and Ed Root on their book Isn't This Glorious. Enjoy the group.

      --- In 20th_Massachusetts_Infantry_Regiment@yahoogroups.com, "WILLIAM" wrote:

      > When I reflected upon the above to my son, who lives in Macungie, PA, that I really wanted to travel to PA for the July 1-3 150th anniversary, he cheered me up by sending me two books. One was Time Magazine's book on the Battle of Gettysburg and more importantly the book titled "Isn't This Glorious!" by Edwin Root and Jeffrey Stocker, a well researched book on the Massachusetts 15th, 19th and 20th Massachusetts during the Battle of Gettysburg.
      >
      > My Grandfather, Francis Merriam Fernandez (born in 1846) was a musician for Company D, Massachusetts 20th. He spent three years from 1862 to 1865 in D Company. He married Ellen Hughes, a cousin of Charles Evans Hughes, and with her became the father to my father, William, in 1875. He is listed in the 1880 Census as living in a home on Moody Street in Dorchester or Boston area. I was born in 1937 and am listed in the 1940 Census as being the son of William, who lived on the West Roxbury Parkway, Chestnut Hill, MA.
      >
      > Also, Ancestry.com has my Grandfather listed as having been wounded in his Release papers, but I know not in what battle. My Grandfather and his wife, Ellen, lived in Boston. They were successful in owning several Antique Stores in the Boston area(my youngest son's passion). He died in December, 1928, and she died in 1930. My son was able to find his grave site, which my memory believes was in Woodlawn Cemetary, which was in Jamaica Plain or Dorchester. They had a large family of 4 boys and four girls. On my father's 40th birthday in 1915, he was presented with the book on the Massachusetts 20th (published in 1890) by my Grandparents, I have that book.
      >
      > I also have a picture of our family taken in 1915 at the Old Folk's Home of the Grand Army of the Republic, where my Grandfather apparently was a patient due to Diabetes and possibly other illnesses.
      >
      > Although I didn't get to know him or hear about his exploits, I've always been proud of him and the role he played in our history. He was the son of parents who immigrated to America from Ecuador in 1842.
      >
      > One mystery has my father, William, born in Virginia on my birth certificate but the 1940 census has him born in Mexico. Is it possible that Civil War soldiers went to Mexico possibly to train the Mexican Army?
      >
      > Respectfully, William Fernandez

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic