Briton Finds Atlantis In Bolivia

  • UtopiaMage@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 1999
      source: http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/19991003/sc/bolivia_atlantis_4.html

      Sunday October 3 2:11 AM ET

      Briton Finds Atlantis In Bolivia

      By Carlos Quiroga

      LA PAZ, Bolivia (Reuters) - The legendary lost continent of Atlantis, which
      was thought to be buried in a torrent of water, may sit 12,000 feet above sea
      level in Bolivia, a British explorer said Friday.

      ``It is time to officially declare to Bolivia and the world that Bolivia is
      where the legendary city most probably existed out of any other possible site
      in the world,'' Jim Allen told a press conference.

      Allen, a former Royal Air Force photographic interpreter and author of
      ``Atlantis: the Andes Solution,'' has devoted the last 20 years of his life
      to prove his theory.

      Allen believes that Quillacas, a town of 1,000 people located 187 miles south
      of capital city La Paz, was the center of the lost continent.

      The town is in a volcanic area and its buildings are constructed with red and
      black rock in line with the description of Atlantis penned by the Greek
      philosopher Plato in the fourth century B.C., Allen said.

      The Bolivian altiplano -- flooded by heavy rains tens of thousands of years
      ago -- has at least 50 characteristics that coincide with Plato's tale, Allen
      said. Perhaps the most important is the remains of an enormous channel 600
      feet wide that matches Plato's description of Atlantis' irrigation canal.

      The Greek sage also said the walls of the fabled city were plated in gold,
      silver, bronze, tin and ``orichalcum,'' a natural alloy of gold and copper
      found only in the Andes.'' Defenders of Allen's theory note all those metals
      are found close to Lake Poopo near La Paz.

      Plato, who wrote of the demise of the splendid civilization, depicted
      Atlantis as a series of islands, with one dwarfing the others in size.

      ``The whole region rose sheer out of the sea to a great height, but the part
      about the city was all smooth plain, enclosing it round about and being
      itself encircled by mountains that stretched as far as the sea,'' the
      philosopher wrote.

      Bolivian congressman Jose Luis Paredes and geologist Carlos Aliaga hailed
      Allen's announcement as ``transcending international borders''.

      The altiplano takes up 10 percent of Bolivia and is the largest plain in the
      world. It is flanked by the Andes mountains, which to the west extends almost
      to the Pacific Ocean.

      The plateau was flooded periodically by heavy rains and covered by an inland
      sea between 25,000 and 40,000 years ago. The receding waters left behind two
      enormous lakes, Poopo and Titicaca.

      ``South Americans shouldn't call themselves South Americans, but rather
      Atlantians,'' Allen said.
    • Doug Weller
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 1999