Re: Asteroids & Comets

  • Braungart@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 1999
      In a message dated 08/31/1999 11:16:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      obiewanknobe@... writes:

      << So again, I say, we need to build underground dwellings >>

      Obie -- While I am not sure about the idea of living DEEP underground, I
      would have to agree with you in this respect. Let's say that in an area of
      period danger, from tornadoes or hurricanes, we were to take your average
      mobile-home-type
      dwelling and place it in a reinforced slip, half to three-quarters buried,
      and berm over it with earth. The entrance could be air-locked with a
      reinforced doorway against heavy wind. Bury your electric, telephone and
      cable lines as well, it makes them harder to be knocked out in case of storm
      or blizzard. When the winds blow, they blow OVER the berms, and not through
      the homes. You would still lose trees and surface structures, but your living
      quarters would be safe. If you position your air ducts at the top of the
      berm, and water-proof the lower sides, you might have insurance against some
      flooding. This type of home would also work against fires like the ones in
      California currectly being fought.
      Anyway, that's MY $.02!
      Regards, and good morning!
      John Braungart -- Amherst, NY, USA
    • Luke Threadgould
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 1999
        > From: Gary Droit <obiewanknobe@...>
        >
        > So.
        > You feel the gov. wouldn't tell us if we were about to be impacted.
        > I just watched a show on TLC about asteroid impacts.
        > It seems the major killer would be the blotting out of the sun for a few
        > years

        For a few *decades* (afterwards) !! not much warning beforehand, depending
        on which direction it comes.

        ~Luke
      • tedwards@xxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 1999
          Like you said, there would be a "Nuclear Winter" following a significant impact
          of an asteroid or comet. That is, if it did not destroy the earth altogether.
          All it would take is a "Runaway Planet" or planetoid hit head-on and the earth
          would be so many new asteroids or comets.

          As far as detecting them, we may and may not detect a "killer". If it were to
          come from the direction of the sun, or be enveloped in a dark "dust cloud", we
          would never see it coming until it entered our atmosphere. Had it not been for
          the recent eclipse, we would not have seen the objects which was seen by
          viewers in Turkey. But, I do not know if they are a threat to the Earth or not.

          And as for the government, they would most probably keep it secret (just like
          in the movies) until right before impact to keep the panic and rioting down.
          Can you imagine if we were going to be hit by something big enough to cause an
          E.L.E., how the public would respond? Some would probably act rationally, but
          the most would just panic, riot, loot, kill, and anything else they could think
          of (being that it would make no difference anyway). I can honestly say that I
          think I would accept it and act rationally enough (although, one never knows
          until faced with such a event).

          Tim

          Believe nothing you hear, and only half of what you see!"