Re: [2012-Theories] THE PAST

  • Greg Theakston
    Message 1 of 65 , Apr 30, 2003
      Geoff,
          I run Mac, so it isn't on my system. Those messages are coming from another family member.
      Regards
      GT

      Geoff Stray wrote:
      Please check your computer for viruses, Mr P Theakston - I am currently reciving about 80 viruses each day with your name on them, although from a variety of addresses - it is "the malicious virus W32.Bugbear@mm " although they are removed by my server. Bugbear invades your email addresses and sends viruses out with chopped up parts of previous emails re-addressed to everyone in the address book. If anyone opens the file, it then searches the hard drive for bank details & sends it back to its source.

      Here is a page on Symantec security about it:
      and here is the free removal tool;

      Message 65 of 65 , May 4, 2003
        Geoff,

        Thanks for you post below.

        Curiously, I have also received a whole host of unwanted emails ref the malicious virus below.

        On each email BT sent the following text:-

        "This message has been processed by BTopenworld Email Protection Service powered by Brightmail(TM) Anti-Virus using
        Symantec's Norton AntiVirus Technology."

        "The file Re_backfromdelhi.txt.pif attached to this message was found to contain the malicious virus W32.Bugbear@mm and has been removed by BT Openworld Email Protection Service powered by Symantec."

        I don't know how it started, but I do subscribe to the above Email Protection Service.
        In a phone-call to BT, they suggested I should invest in a personal anti-virus protection system, which I shall do soon enough.

        Trust the virus has ceased its unwanted actions

        John Theakston