Re: A comet named NEAT

  • Joe <myhowitzero@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2003
      Something tells me that NEAT is information dissemination trouble.
      Charles S. Morris from NASA says in the article 'The Truth about Comet
      Lee' that Comet Lee (or any comet) does not cause a coronal mass
      ejection (CME) unless it impacts with the sun and it is not obvious
      these events are related. Therefore, my temporary conclusion is how
      big is this beast to attract CMEs and where it is at this moment since
      NASA says it's not visible? See the article by Morris at:
      http://encke.jpl.nasa.gov/Lee_Truth.html
      Pakal
    • melchizedk@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2003
        Here's something that was posted by the Earth Changes TV guy.
        Uriel Andros

        --------------------
        Sometimes We Have To Eat A Little Crow; Comet 'C/2002 V1'
        Facts...02/28/03
        by Mitch Battros (ECTV)

        I have just completed my interview on our ECTV "Live" Radio Hour with
        Dr. Tom Van Flandern. Dr. Van Flandern spent 20 years at the U.S. Naval
        Observatory, where he became the Chief of the Celestial Mechanics
        Branch. He is also a NASA astronomer and consultant. It was not far into
        the interview when I realized I had been duped. Now having learned the
        facts, I will be the first to admit it. I believe it is more important
        to publish the facts, then to save my little hurt pride.

        But wait, there is more. It appears NASA themselves were caught off
        guard as well. Nasa appears to be just as anxious for publicity as any
        other news agency. They may have been a little to anxious getting the
        story out (just I as was guilty of), prior to closer examination.

        This is what we think happened...it is extremely possible a grad-student
        or apprentice inside Nasa were practicing their new found imaging skills
        on a 'not so unusual' comet. This comet just happened to be named
        "C/2002 V1". The photo's and trajectory of comet C/2002 V1 are real and
        original. What our friendly Nasa grad-student or apprentice did, was
        super-impose the imaging to highlight the comet and its path. It would
        be as if you took a snap shot of any item with a background, then pulled
        the item away from the background so it would be larger and easily
        noticed.

        It was the same as if you put your hand out at arms length with any
        background such as a colored wall; then bring your hand towards your
        face. Try this right now to get a quick understanding. The size of your
        hand never changes, but it looks ten times larger the closer you bring
        it towards your face. This is what in fact happened. This incident may
        very well have been an innocent act. Or, it could have been a grave joke
        on Nasa, me, and everyone else.

        The idea of grad-students might explain the upside-down and the wrong
        year on the second photo. What is a bit unsettling, is the fact Nasa
        themselves bought off on it. The photos I have shown you are indeed
        authentic and from Nasa. What happened next, were eager reporters and
        inside Nasa public relation employees who saw this image and jumped all
        over it. Guilty!!! :-)

        Here are the links which clearly show they originated from Nasa itself.

        Photo 1:
        http://science.nasa.gov/spaceweather/swpod2003/21feb03/soho1.gif
        Photo 2: http://soho.nascom.nasa.gov/hotshots/2003_02_12/C2002_v1.gif

        Well what about the CME? This too, is real and original. However, the
        distance between the Sun and the comet is vast. It is quite possible
        the two are unrelated. It is also possible, they are. What one has to
        consider is the distance. It is nowhere near what it seems in the photo.

        Here are the facts: Comet C/2002 V1

        The size of the nucleus (the solid center of the comet) is approximately
        0.5 to 0.7 kilometers. 1 kilometer = 0.6 miles
        The size of the coma (this is the glowing snowball) is indeed the size
        of two Jupiter's. Approximately 293,000 kilometers or 176,000 miles in
        diameter. All in all, this was just another near miss comet we have seen
        almost 500 times from the view of the SOHO satellite.

        If this was the I Love Lucy show, I would say to Nasa "Luucccy,
        (Naaassssa) you have lotof esplaining to do". The taste of Crow
        feathers might go better with a little mud pie!

        Thought For The Day

        "When NASA was preparing for the Apollo Project, it took the astronauts
        to a Navajo reservation in Arizona for training.

        One day, a Navajo elder and his son came across the space crew walking
        among the rocks. The elder, who spoke only Navajo, asked a question. His
        son translated for the NASA people: "What are these guys in the big
        suits doing?"

        One of the astronauts said that they were practicing for a trip to the
        moon. When his son relayed this comment the Navajo elder got all excited
        and asked if it would be possible to give to the astronauts a message to
        deliver to the moon.

        Recognizing a promotional opportunity when he saw one, a NASA official
        accompanying the astronauts said, "Why certainly!" and told an underling
        to get a tape recorder. The Navajo elder's comments into the microphone
        were brief.

        The NASA official asked the son if he would translate what his father
        had said. The son listened to the recording and laughed uproariously.
        But he refused to translate. So the NASA people took the tape to a
        nearbyNavajo village and played it for other members of the tribe. They
        too laughed long and loudly but also refused to translate the elder's
        message to the moon.

        Finally, an official government translator was summoned. After he
        finally stopped laughing the translator relayed the message: "Watch out
        for these assholes - they have come to steal your land."
      • saint
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2003
          > Here's something that was posted by the Earth Changes TV guy.
          > Uriel Andros
          >
          > --------------------
          > Sometimes We Have To Eat A Little Crow; Comet 'C/2002 V1'
          > Facts...02/28/03
          > by Mitch Battros (ECTV)
          >
          > I have just completed my interview on our ECTV "Live" Radio Hour with
          > Dr. Tom Van Flandern. Dr. Van Flandern spent 20 years at the U.S. Naval
          > Observatory, where he became the Chief of the Celestial Mechanics
          > Branch. He is also a NASA astronomer and consultant. It was not far into
          > the interview when I realized I had been duped. Now having learned the
          > facts, I will be the first to admit it. I believe it is more important
          > to publish the facts, then to save my little hurt pride.
          >
          > But wait, there is more. It appears NASA themselves were caught off
          > guard as well. Nasa appears to be just as anxious for publicity as any
          > other news agency. They may have been a little to anxious getting the
          > story out (just I as was guilty of), prior to closer examination.
          >
          > This is what we think happened...it is extremely possible a grad-student
          > or apprentice inside Nasa were practicing their new found imaging skills
          > on a 'not so unusual' comet.

          YEAH RIGHT... SO THEY RELEASE A SERIES OF PHOTOS THE 'MAGICIANS APPRENTICE'
          HAS BEEN FOOLING AROUND WITH, NEVER BOTHERING TO VET OR APPROVE THEIR
          RELEASE .... GIVE US A BREAK!