Re: VIP #2 FAQ

  • proujou@lu.packardbell.org
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 1, 2001
      Hello guys,

      I think the VIP#FAQ file is a great idea and is very well done.
      Thanks for doing it.

      Just an additionnal question: What is the maximum size the figure can
      have to be submitted to the VIP2?

      Pascale
    • jmoses@mail.aacc.cc.md.us
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 1, 2001
        At 12:12 PM 4/1/01 -0000, you wrote:
        > Hello guys,
        >
        > I think the VIP#FAQ file is a great idea and is very well done.
        > Thanks for doing it.
        >
        > Just an additionnal question: What is the maximum size the figure can
        > have to be submitted to the VIP2?

        - I think that Jeff or Harry should answer this question for us. If the
        answer is supplied, I will add it to the VIP #2 FAQ.

        Jason Moses
      • Ironrook
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 1, 2001
          >Hello guys,
          >
          >I think the VIP#FAQ file is a great idea and is very well done.
          >Thanks for doing it.
          >
          >Just an additionnal question: What is the maximum size the figure can
          >have to be submitted to the VIP2?
          >
          >Pascale

          It is best if you can keep them under 2.5" tall 2" wide, and .75"
          thick. If you make them larger and wish them to included in the
          cast sets, please contact me before proceeding. Of course you can
          always submit pictures with no concern about size.
          --
          mailto:ironrook@...

          http://www.ironrook.com
        • jmoses@mail.aacc.cc.md.us
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 1, 2001
            At 01:19 PM 4/1/01 -0500, you wrote:
            > >Hello guys,
            >>
            >>I think the VIP#FAQ file is a great idea and is very well done.
            >>Thanks for doing it.
            >>
            >>Just an additionnal question: What is the maximum size the figure can
            >>have to be submitted to the VIP2?
            >>
            >>Pascale
            >
            >"""
            > If you make them larger and wish them to included in the
            > Of course you can
            > always submit pictures with no concern about size.

            - I'm going to paste this into the two versions of the FAQ in the files
            section. Jeff, you might want to add it to the HTML version on your site.

            Jason
          • proujou@lu.packardbell.org
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 1, 2001
              > It is best if you can keep them under 2.5" tall 2" wide, and .75"
              > thick. If you make them larger and wish them to included in the
              > cast sets, please contact me before proceeding. Of course you can
              > always submit pictures with no concern about size.
              > --
              > mailto:ironrook@b...
              >
              > http://www.ironrook.com

              Thank you for your answer Jeff. For the metric system fans, these
              measures equal to approximately 6.35 cm tall, 5.1 cm wide and 1.9 cm
              thick.

              Pascale
            • Harry Colquhoun
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 1, 2001
                As I've mentioned earlier, my company decided at the worst time that they
                needed to send me off 4000 km away to Dallas for an "undetermined" number
                of weeks. During this time I don't think I'll have any internet access or
                time to do anything even if I did. I'd like to thank Jeff Rodman and Jason
                Moses for taking up my slack, and for all the others who offered to
                help. If you have pictures of your entries, you can still email them to
                me. I'll enter them in the VIP2 gallery as soon as I have a chance.

                On a sad note, this trip means I'll have no chance to finish my entry for
                the casting deadline. :( I've got my Sherlock Holmes 60% finished, and I
                think it would be very unfair for me to slap some putty on him without
                putting in the effort, just to finish him for casting.

                For some reason the yahoo email address I gave out last time didn't work,
                so here's my work address if you need to email
                me: Harry_Colquhoun@... If that address bounces, then I've been laid
                off (along with the other 70% of my coworkers who just recently got axed).

                Happy sculpting!

                Cheers,
                Harry
              • jmoses@mail.aacc.cc.md.us
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 1, 2001
                  Thanks Pascale, I'll add this to the FAQ sooner or later.

                  Jason

                • jmoses@mail.aacc.cc.md.us
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 1, 2001
                    Bes of luck on your trip. While I could never bring along enough painting
                    supplies to satisfy my needs on a trip, it seems like bringing some green
                    stuff and tools would be an easy way to while away the hours in a starnge
                    town late at night.

                    Anyway, if I'm to "be in sharge" of this event while you're away, you might
                    want to send me any administrative stuff that you can. I'd be happy to
                    keep track of those who are interested, those who have actually sent in
                    pictures, those who have sent in sculptures, etc. Let mw know what I can do.

                    Jason Moses

                  • jmoses@mail.aacc.cc.md.us
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 2, 2001
                      Hi All,

                      I've included the following question and answer in the VIP #2 FAQ.
                      Please let me know if you think of any further revisions. It occurred
                      to me that it might be interesting to make a list of the VIP figures
                      (both #1 and #2 as they become available) that are being sold by
                      private companies and are, therefore, available. I would like to add
                      such a list to the end of the FAQ. I know that some of the gladiators
                      are available. If you know the sculptor, who sells them, what the
                      name of the sculpt is, and some contact info (a web address) to get
                      more info, please send it to me vis the list (so that I don't get
                      millions of repeats).

                      Here's the new question and answer:

                      Q: Where can these miniatures be purchased?

                      A: While the rights to the occasional VIP miniature may be sold to a
                      company for production and sale via that company, the VIP figures are
                      not otherwise available for purchase. Except for the occasional
                      miniature offered in this manner, the only way to obtain the VIP
                      figures is to submit your own sculpture to be cast as part of the set.

                      Thanks for the help.

                      Jason Moses
                    • jmoses@mail.aacc.cc.md.us
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 2, 2001
                        Hello again. I added a section to the VIP #2 theme describing "steam
                        punk." I wouldn't be surprised if I'm off, so if anyone takes great
                        issue with this description, oir can supply a better, please let me
                        know.

                        Jason Moses

                        Q: What is the theme?

                        A: (the old description of the Victorian theme comes first, then
                        this:) A secondary theme is "steam punk." As I understand it, this is
                        a sort of parallel universe in which the Victorian Era has become
                        somewhat sci-fi. Populating this world are riveted, steam-driven
                        robots, zeppelins bristling with weapons, Victorianesque fads
                        converted to war machines, etc. Basically anything goes in
                        steam-punk. Note: Your sculpt does not HAVE to be steam-punk, it only
                        has to be Victorian.
                      • Ming-Hua Kao
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 3, 2001
                          Hi Jason,

                          I looked through both the two additions and the one on the purchase of the
                          minis is ok. I would like to add to the theme though. I would add an
                          example to you steampunk description which is, think of the world of Jules
                          Verne but with the special technology even more widespread.

                          Another part of the theme are the Science Fiction "Victorian" settings like
                          John Carter of Mars. Basicly, anything that looks Victorian goes (clothing,
                          rivets on machinery, etc).

                          By the way, good to see you helping the VIP team out. Good show!

                          Bye, Ming-Hua
                        • Moses, Jason
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 3, 2001
                            At 05:18 PM 4/3/01 +0200, you wrote:

                            Hi Jason,

                            I looked through both the two additions and the one on the purchase of
                            the
                            minis is ok. I would like to add to the theme though. I would add an
                            example to you steampunk description which is, think of the world of
                            Jules
                            Verne but with the special technology even more widespread.

                            Another part of the theme are the Science Fiction "Victorian" settings
                            like
                            John Carter of Mars. Basicly, anything that looks Victorian goes
                            (clothing,
                            rivets on machinery, etc).

                            - Thanks for the suggestions. I'll make those changes.

                            By the way, good to see you helping the VIP team out. Good show!

                            - I do so for two reasons: 1) To share the responsibility for this event
                            which we all enjoy and profit from, and 2) because I valued people's
                            participation in my female miniature-painting contest, and want to
                            similarly participate in other events in the painting/modeling world.
                            I'll be happy to help out in any other way that might be required in the
                            future. I LOVE the fact that I'm going to get some miniatures that are
                            frequently not otherwise available. And I LOVE the fact that I'm going
                            to see my own miniature in metal. Of course this will only be true if I
                            get around to frigging completing it! I've finished one of the
                            snowshoes and have to make the other, complete the backpack, make a
                            couple buckles, attach the figure to the base, and convince my wife that
                            the $25 is a good price.

                            Bye, Ming-Hua

                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=169066.1299453.2894590.2/D=egroupmail/S=170006351