Re: [1listSculpting] My guide to sculpting (LONG!)

  • Christian Bene Ellegaard
    Message 1 of 20 , May 1, 2000
      --- In 1listSculpting@egroups.com, BatHead207@A... wrote:

      > << Dressing the model
      > Now you wait until the Green Stuff has dried. After some hours
      you
      > can
      > start sculpting the clothes >>

      > Quick tip for those of you who don't know -- the heat from a light
      bulb can
      > speed up the drying time tremendously. Just place the miniature
      near a 100
      > watt light bulb for about a half-hour to an hour, and it will be
      completely
      > cured, allowing you to move on to the next stage more quickly. If
      it wasn't
      > for this trick, I'd never get *any* work done. :-)

      :-) OK - I didn't know that. Well, what I experienced was that when I
      sculpted outside in the sun it took longer time for the Green Stuff
      to get dry while if I was in a cold room then it dried faster - but I
      don't know. I shall try it - no doubt it works for me when it works
      for you! :-)

      > Oh, and one more thing, and this is not a criticism, Chris, just an
      > observation. There are much more than just Games Workshop
      miniatures and
      > games out there -- much, much more. Don't limit yourself.

      Oh yeah, I know - sure I know, but the thing is that this article was
      originally written for the Citadel Journal (and you'll see it there
      some time too), so I couldn't write things like 'there are many other
      cool miniatures than Citadel miniatures, and don't buy Green Stuff in
      GW - it's too expensive' and stuff! :-)

      Only I don't know much about other miniatures, simply because the
      marcet is not that broad here in Denmark - sadly. I AM aware of
      plenty of other highly detailed and professional miniature companies
      - don't get me wrong! :-)

      Cheers,

      Chris
    • Christian Bene Ellegaard
      Message 2 of 20 , May 1, 2000
        --- In 1listSculpting@egroups.com, "Tony Barr" <webmaster@s...> wrote:

        > > Sculpting is probably the finest art in the Games Workshop
        hobby.

        > Huh?

        > The "Games Workshop" hobby?

        Oh, yeah, that's my point of view. As I said, the article is written
        FOR Games Workshop... :-)

        Cheers,

        Chris
      • Christian Bene Ellegaard
        Message 3 of 20 , May 1, 2000
          --- In 1listSculpting@egroups.com, jppatton1@a... wrote:

          > << Hi guys - here is my long guide to sculpting that I promised to
          send
          > a few days ago - read it, I hope you find it interesting. I'm
          looking
          > forward to you guys' comments! :-)

          > Good stuff and very helpful. I read this just the other day on
          someone's
          > site -- can you remind me of the URL? ;)

          It might be ... The Warp.net? I don't know - I don't really know
          where it is, but Ming-Hau mailed me and asked it he could put it on
          www.miniaturesbattles.com and another one - www.dragonrune.com IIRC.

          Otherwise it is on the Warp.net's homepage for an indefinite time.
          www.thewarp.net :-) I should perhaps upload it in the Vault too - if
          I remember... :-)

          Cheers,

          Chris
        • Tony Barr
          Message 4 of 20 , May 1, 2000
            > > The "Games Workshop" hobby?
            >
            > Oh, yeah, that's my point of view. As I said, the article is written
            > FOR Games Workshop... :-)

            Ah! Understood. I hadn't realised that initially.

            cheers

            Tony
            --
            Tony Barr
            Webmaster, Society of Ancients www.soa.org.uk
            Message 5 of 20 , May 1, 2000
              At 09:44 AM 5/1/00 +0000, you wrote:
              >--- In 1listSculpting@egroups.com, jppatton1@a... wrote:
              >
              > > Good stuff and very helpful. I read this just the other day on
              > someone's
              > > site -- can you remind me of the URL? ;)
              >
              >It might be ... The Warp.net? I don't know - I don't really know
              >where it is, but Ming-Hau mailed me and asked it he could put it on
              >www.miniaturesbattles.com and another one - www.dragonrune.com IIRC.

              Actually, www.Miniaturesbattles.com is my website, so no, your article is
              not there (although my sculpting article is). Yours is on the TheWarp.net.
              --
              Bob Lippman <ALTBOB@...>
              Saratoga Springs, New York

              Come see what's new at Strategic HQ!

              http://www.miniaturesbattles.com

              ( ) _ - _ ( )
              ~~ ~~
              ( 0 0 )
              -----------ooO----( )----Ooo------------
              ''' ( ) '''
              ( )
              \ /
              ~~O~~
            • Tom Steward
              Message 6 of 20 , May 1, 2000
                >--- In 1listSculpting@egroups.com, Bob Lippman <altbob@p...> wrote:
                >
                > > >Hi guys - here is my long guide to sculpting that I promised to
                >send
                > > >a few days ago - read it, I hope you find it interesting. I'm
                >looking
                > > >forward to you guys' comments! :-)
                >
                > > <snip>
                >
                > > > Sculpting is probably the finest art in the Games Workshop
                >hobby.
                >
                > > Urgh! Sculpting is sculpting. I really dislike it when gaming and
                > > miniatures in general are referred to as "the games workshop hobby."
                >
                >:-) Seems to me that this sentence was not too popular here... :-)
                >Anyways, well, the article is in fact about sculpting models for
                >Games Workshop games (since it's scheduled for the Citadel Journal).
                >OK, I must admit, sculpting is a whole hobby for itself - truly. But
                >on the other hand, then you can't write that 'painting miniatures,
                >modeling terrain or whatever is a cool part of the Games Workshop
                >hobby'?
                >
                >I see the point, though...
                >
                >Cheers,
                >
                >Chris

                Chris, I hope so. The point is that the phrase "the Games Workshop hobby"
                makes as much sense as calling football "the Adidas sport" or tennis "the
                Slazenger game" - and gives quite as much offence to the afficiandos of the
                true hobby - that is, collecting and gaming with miniatures (of many
                different companies). Most people on this list (IMHO) would probably
                describe themselves as "wargamers" or "roleplayers" (although there might be
                quite a few who simply collect, or sculpt their own). Wargaming as a hobby
                has been around for many, many years - many years before the first "Games
                Workshop" store was opened in the mid to late 70s. While Games Workshop
                might be the biggest company in miniature production, it is really arrogant
                of GW to start calling wargaming/roleplaying the "Games Workshop hobby". So,
                no, you shouldn't write that "painting miniatures, modelling terrain or
                whatever is a cool part of the Games Workshop hobby" - on two grounds.
                First, there is no such thing as "the Games Workshop hobby" and secondly,
                its a certain guarantee of unpopularity !! Tom.
              • Bob Lippman
                Message 7 of 20 , May 1, 2000
                  At 04:09 PM 5/1/00 +0000, you wrote:

                  <snip>
                  >The point is that the phrase "the Games Workshop hobby"
                  >makes as much sense as calling football "the Adidas sport" or tennis "the
                  >Slazenger game" - and gives quite as much offence to the afficiandos of the
                  >true hobby - that is, collecting and gaming with miniatures (of many
                  >different companies). Most people on this list (IMHO) would probably
                  >describe themselves as "wargamers" or "roleplayers" (although there might be
                  >quite a few who simply collect, or sculpt their own). Wargaming as a hobby
                  >has been around for many, many years - many years before the first "Games
                  >Workshop" store was opened in the mid to late 70s. While Games Workshop
                  >might be the biggest company in miniature production, it is really arrogant
                  >of GW to start calling wargaming/roleplaying the "Games Workshop hobby". So,
                  >no, you shouldn't write that "painting miniatures, modelling terrain or
                  >whatever is a cool part of the Games Workshop hobby" - on two grounds.
                  >First, there is no such thing as "the Games Workshop hobby" and secondly,
                  >its a certain guarantee of unpopularity !! Tom.

                  Well said!
                  --

                • jppatton1@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 1, 2000
                    chris_ellegaard@... writes:

                    << Otherwise it is on the Warp.net's homepage for an indefinite time.
                    www.thewarp.net :-) I should perhaps upload it in the Vault too - if
                    I remember... :-)

                    Cheers,

                    Chris >>

                    That's the one -- thanks. I didn't bookmark it since it had such I catchy
                    name I'd surely remember it. . . .

                    Joel
                  • Christian Ellegaard
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 2, 2000
                      <snip>

                      > >It might be ... The Warp.net? I don't know - I don't really know
                      > >where it is, but Ming-Hau mailed me and asked it he could put it on
                      > >www.miniaturesbattles.com and another one - www.dragonrune.com IIRC.

                      >Actually, www.Miniaturesbattles.com is my website, so no, your article is
                      >not there (although my sculpting article is). Yours is on the TheWarp.net.

                      I am aware of that - I wondered too, 'cause I know the Strategic
                      Headquarters belongs to you and I read your excellent sculpting article as
                      well ... anyways, Ming-Hau told me that it could be put there for answering
                      questions about sculpting etc. Well, Ming-Hau, er...? :-)

                      Cheers,

                      Chris
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 2, 2000
                        I vulcanize at 350F. Plastic card doesn't work, nor does the GW plastic
                        (which is one of the reasons why they went to it, to discourage/stop
                        pirating). Certain resins, however, do work fine.

                        Dave Jackson
                        True North Productions/Realmwerks
                        http://underworld.fortunecity.com/grandprix/623

                      • Glenn Harris
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 3, 2000
                          Hey guys, for what it is worth, in Games Workshop-ese the "Games
                          Workshop Hobby" or simply "The Hobby" refers to painting, modelling and
                          converting Citadel miniatures for playing Games Workshop games. Meant more
                          as a way of distinguishing what GW does as compared to what others do, not
                          as a disrespect to the age-old hobby of playing with toy soldiers. Many,
                          many GW employees in all levels of the company are collectors of all sorts
                          of soldiers, with 20mm WWII and Foundry Ancients (thus "Warhammer Ancients")
                          being particular favorites. I even bought a new Bugbear from WOTC while in
                          Seattle a few weeks ago!
                          Egyptian Pharoahs were buried with their toy soldiers. French kings
                          had an ever-expanding heirloom collection of silvered clockworked soldiers
                          until they were melted down for a war effort in the 1800's. The Dalai Lama
                          played with them as a young lad (remember Kundun?). H.G. Wells even wrote a
                          set of miniature wargaming rules. Mike Myers mentioned in a recent Rolling
                          Stone interview how much he enjoys scouring hobby stores for WWII figures to
                          paint while watching the History Channel. The coolness of collecting,
                          painting, sculpting, and making shooting noises with toy soldiers predates
                          all of us and will continue to live on!
                          Hopefully "Games Workshop Hobby" was used in this spirit, not as a
                          way of saying GW is the be all- end all of toy soldiers. That truly is
                          wrong! Just my $.02.
                          Glenn Harris

                          > > >Hi guys - here is my long guide to sculpting that I promised to
                          >send
                          > > >a few days ago - read it, I hope you find it interesting. I'm
                          >looking
                          > > >forward to you guys' comments! :-)
                          >
                          > > <snip>
                          >
                          > > > Sculpting is probably the finest art in the Games Workshop
                          >hobby.
                          >
                          > > Urgh! Sculpting is sculpting. I really dislike it when gaming and
                          > > miniatures in general are referred to as "the games workshop hobby."
                          >
                          >:-) Seems to me that this sentence was not too popular here... :-)
                          >Anyways, well, the article is in fact about sculpting models for
                          >Games Workshop games (since it's scheduled for the Citadel Journal).
                          >OK, I must admit, sculpting is a whole hobby for itself - truly. But
                          >on the other hand, then you can't write that 'painting miniatures,
                          >modeling terrain or whatever is a cool part of the Games Workshop
                          >hobby'?
                          >
                          >I see the point, though...
                          >
                          >Cheers,
                          >
                          >Chris

                          Chris, I hope so. The point is that the phrase "the Games Workshop hobby"
                          makes as much sense as calling football "the Adidas sport" or tennis "the
                          Slazenger game" - and gives quite as much offence to the afficiandos of the
                          true hobby - that is, collecting and gaming with miniatures (of many
                          different companies). Most people on this list (IMHO) would probably
                          describe themselves as "wargamers" or "roleplayers" (although there might be

                          quite a few who simply collect, or sculpt their own). Wargaming as a hobby
                          has been around for many, many years - many years before the first "Games
                          Workshop" store was opened in the mid to late 70s. While Games Workshop
                          might be the biggest company in miniature production, it is really arrogant
                          of GW to start calling wargaming/roleplaying the "Games Workshop hobby". So,

                          no, you shouldn't write that "painting miniatures, modelling terrain or
                          whatever is a cool part of the Games Workshop hobby" - on two grounds.
                          First, there is no such thing as "the Games Workshop hobby" and secondly,
                          its a certain guarantee of unpopularity !! Tom.

                          Now the best and coolest websites come right to you based on your
                          unique interests. eTour.com is surfing without searching.
                          And, it's FREE!
                          http://click.egroups.com/1/3013/3/_/582260/_/957197378/
                        • B. Jackson
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 3, 2000
                            It's also a very clever marketing gimmick and protector of market share. The
                            fewer people who know about alternatives the better from GW's perspective. GW
                            did not get to be so big by being stupid. I'm not bashing GW, they are a boon
                            to the industry in my opinion as people brought into this hobby with GW
                            marketing money will find out about alternatives and some will spend money
                            elsewhere (some of which will wind up in my pocket, yea!). They charge too much
                            for their figures than I'm usually willing to pay but everybody else charges
                            too little (and pays too little).
                            Bobby Jackson