Introductions

  • minimaker
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 17, 2001
      A "Hi" and welcome to all new members (including the ones that have not yet
      introduced themselves. We know you're here! :o) ).

      To Ogre (Hi, 'nother minipainter): I'm doing a steamroo for VIP 2 and have
      put step by step descriptions at:
      http://www.egroups.com/files/1listSculpting/Ming-Hua%27s+stuff/Roo/makeroo1.html
      This is my first "mechanical sculpt" so techniquewise I'm improvising as I
      go :o). But perhaps it's of use.
      There was also a thread on "digital sculpting" (3d modelling + 3d printer
      creation) of mechs. Check the archives and http://www.ironrook.com/Hellion/.

      To Eric Price. Well, how about showing us the sketches and ask whatever you
      want to know.

      Bye, Ming-Hua
    • Taylor Leslie
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2006
        My name is Taylor. I joined this group because recently I've begun
        looking for a hobbie. I like sculpting with ceramic clays, but to do
        so requires access to facilities and materials that I can't afford the
        time or the costs. So I thought I would try minitures instead.

        I'm reading for the FAQs, and I didn't see it there, perhaps someone
        could answer it for me. Assuming I live on a budget, how much of an
        initial investment needs to be put down before you can begin sculpting
        minis? Do any of you have any good tips for the frugal hobbyist?
      • Ming-Hua
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 2, 2006
          > Assuming I live on a budget, how much of an initial investment needs
          to be put down before you can begin sculpting minis?

          Costs for miniature sculptign can be minimal. A basic kit would be:
          - Sculpting putty. Up to $12 depending on what quantity you buy.
          - Wire. Florist, brass, paperclip, whatever. Just make sure it's thin
          and stiff.
          - Tools. You can make those yourself from metal rod, plastic, wood and
          improvise using a hobby knife. You have to have something with a blade
          surface broad enough to push and smear putty, an edge to cut lines and
          a point for small details. If you go to http://photos.yahoo.com/
          minimaker3 you will see a lot of improvised tools in the tools
          section.

          Bye, Ming-Hua
        • Richard Henderson
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 2, 2006
            Initial investment can be as little as a pack of Green Stuff or as much as GS and other putties, a range of quality tools, clamps to hold armitures and whatever else you might think of to use.

            For the frugalist you can start with some cheap wire from a hardware store, not more than 1mm diameter. A pack of Kneadatite (Green Stuff) or Pro Create might be a better choice now. A couple of old corks from some wine, the plastic ones would be good too and usually come with cheaper wine.

            The tools are themost expensive part really. Most people start with a Wax 5 or variation, GW sells something aproximately like that and it's ok to start with but not ideal. You can make tools from anything fairly tough that you can shape like plastic card /styrene sheet but you'll have to be a little more gentle with that. Fine detial tools you can make from pins and toothpicks. And a clay shaper, a rubber tipped tool that is great for smoothing can be made from a pencil eraser.

            I would suggest you try find at least one metal tool so you can push the putty without worring about breaking anything. Putty isn't notoriously tough or anything but if it's starting to go off then you need a little more force.

            Good luck! ;)

            Taylor Leslie <powthecow@...> wrote:
            My name is Taylor. I joined this group because recently I've begun
            looking for a hobbie. I like sculpting with ceramic clays, but to do
            so requires access to facilities and materials that I can't afford the
            time or the costs. So I thought I would try minitures instead.

            I'm reading for the FAQs, and I didn't see it there, perhaps someone
            could answer it for me. Assuming I live on a budget, how much of an
            initial investment needs to be put down before you can begin sculpting
            minis? Do any of you have any good tips for the frugal hobbyist?

            Palocles of http://slavetopaint.com

            My Gallery

          • Gene Van Horne
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 2, 2006
              Hi Taylor,

              Welcome :-) As everybody else has mentioned, making your own tools
              is a good way to start sculpting inexpensively. You can also talk
              to your Dentist. Ask them for their old tools. Most dentists will
              happily hand over large quantities of them.

              Over the years I've found these are the tools I can absolutely NOT
              live without:

              Here's a pic of all of these tools:
              http://www.forgeofsouls.com/Tools.jpg

              #1 Clay Shaper (black tip) size 0 Flat Chisel Item # 4261299
              $4.45 – http://www.misterart.com/store/view/001/group_id/11/COLOUR-
              SHAPER-Modeling-Tools.htm

              #2 Amaco T-3 Double Ended Ball Burnisher Item # 3201041 $2.25 –
              http://www.misterart.com/store/view/003/group_id/334/ARTEMBOSS-
              Embossing-Accessories.htm

              #3 Wax Five knockoff (5" No.64b) $1.97 -
              http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/PROD/dental-carver/DEMT14-64B

              #4 Double ended Dental Pick $1.49 –
              http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/PROD/dental-probe/DEMT01-DD1

              (Widget supply is a GREAT place to find *cheap* tools :-)
              http://www.widgetsupply.com - Highly recommend them)

              #5 Double Ended Spoon / Needle tool – homemade
              1/32" Brass Rod at your local hobby shop (aprox $1.50) pounded out
              into a spoon shape see #4J - http://www.perfect-
              touch.com/enlarged.htm
              Bent needle on the other end is a Scribe Point (#44-P $3.75 for pkg
              of 12) but an upholstrey needle will work as well –
              http://www.grifhold.com/catalog/product_info.php?
              cPath=22&products_id=140
              Dowel 3/16" – Michaels, Hobby Lobby, or your local Hobby Shop (aprox
              $1.00)

              #6 Dulled Xacto Blade (aprox $2.50) - Get at any hobby, craft,
              hardware store and then use fine sandpaper or a dremel tool to dull
              the blade and round off all of the edges. Here's an example of how
              Tom Meier does it is on the list. Look in Files>FAQ>Tools> Tom
              Meier Tools.jpg

              So everything listed above would run you around $18- $19 + shipping
              costs. Add a tube of putty to sculpt with, wine bottle cork to stick
              your armatures in , and a set of needle nose pilers and nippers to
              make said armatures and you're in business :-)

              Gene Van Horne
            • Evyn MacDude
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 2, 2006
                On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 20:24:07 +0100, Taylor Leslie <powthecow@...>
                wrote:

                > I'm reading for the FAQs, and I didn't see it there, perhaps someone
                > could answer it for me. Assuming I live on a budget, how much of an
                > initial investment needs to be put down before you can begin sculpting
                > minis? Do any of you have any good tips for the frugal hobbyist?

                $20.... or the cost of what every your base material is. The base tools
                are your fingures and what ever you need beyound that is gravy, or I
                should say tools are whatever you find you need beyound your fingers.

                Minga Hua has a nice picture set in the files section of home-made tools.

                --
                Evyn
              • Evyn MacDude
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 2, 2006
                  On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 09:16:20 +0100, Ming-Hua <mhckao@...> wrote:

                  > - Tools. You can make those yourself from metal rod, plastic, wood and
                  > improvise using a hobby knife. You have to have something with a blade
                  > surface broad enough to push and smear putty, an edge to cut lines and
                  > a point for small details. If you go to http://photos.yahoo.com/
                  > minimaker3 you will see a lot of improvised tools in the tools
                  > section.
                  >
                  > Bye, Ming-Hua

                  Sorry about butchering your name in a reply to this thread....

                  --
                  Evyn
                • pendix100
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 8, 2013
                    Hi all,

                    Just signed up here and thought I'd introduce myself. I'm Pendix, and I'm a longtime sculptor, but I'm also primarily self-taught, so my skills and knowledge are a bit spotty. I have recently been looking into starting my own range of miniatures, and figured it's about time I tried to up my game and see what guides, advice and communities there are online. Which is what lead me here :).

                    If you are interested in seeing some of my work, I've a gallery here:
                    http://pendix.deviantart.com/
                  • mrshortcutz
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 10, 2013
                      Hi Pendix, I'm also fairly new to this forum.

                      Since I have started sculpting professionally, I have found this forum an invaluable source of information. It's nice to know your not alone out there.

                      I wish the best of luck for you on your miniature range. I also would like to start up one of my own someday...

                      Gus
                      http://guskearnsminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/