Welcome

  • David Drage
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 14, 1999
      Well as there have been a few new members recently I would just like to say
      welcome.
      It is about time someone started a new thread so if anyone has any questions
      lets have 'em.

      Anyway here is a picture of a couple of figures that I sculpted recently. I
      have since cast them and they looks pretty good (even though I do say so
      myself).

      Cheers

      David Drage

      Model, Design & Craft
      120 Union Grove
      Aberdeen
      AB10 6SB
      United Kingdom

      http://www.crosswinds.net/~modelcraft/modelhome.html
      http://www.crosswinds.net/~modelcraft/battleg/battleground.html

      modelcraft@...
    • Ed Lizak
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 15, 1999
        Well done figures. As Dizzy Dean used to say - "it ain't braggin if you can
        do it."

        How long does it take you to do a figure like the ones in the photo?

        -EJL

        >Well as there have been a few new members recently I would just like to say
        >welcome.
        >It is about time someone started a new thread so if anyone has any
        questions
        >lets have 'em.
        >
        >Anyway here is a picture of a couple of figures that I sculpted recently. I
        >have since cast them and they looks pretty good (even though I do say so
        >myself).
        >
        >Cheers
        >
        >David Drage
        >
        >Model, Design & Craft
        >120 Union Grove
        >Aberdeen
        >AB10 6SB
        >United Kingdom
        >
        >http://www.crosswinds.net/~modelcraft/modelhome.html
        >http://www.crosswinds.net/~modelcraft/battleg/battleground.html
        >
        >modelcraft@...

      • David Drage
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 16, 1999
          If I put my mind to it and don't time waste (bit of a self discipline
          problem I guess)
          I can get a figure sculpted in about five or six hours.
          I normally work on five or six at a time so that as a bit is setting on one
          I can be working on another, etc. etc.
          This means that actually calculating times per figure becomes fairly vague.
          I have found it alot quicker since I started casting my own dollies. They
          sve on so much of the bulking out and you start off with a pretty much
          accurate human figure, without having to get the anatomy right from scratch.

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 18, 1999
            Well, I'm one of the new guys so I guess i'll introduce myself.

            Name's Fedrik Svensson, I live in Gefle, Sweden, 18 years of age.
            My sculpting experiences consist of adding some green stuff to
            Games Workshop minis and assembling some vinyl recast figures.

            As for questions, I don't think i've come that far yet.. if someone
            has any tips on how to avoid all the inevitable beginner's mistakes,
            I would accept them with open arms.
          • Richard Marchant
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 18, 1999
              > From: "Ed Lizak" <ejl@...>
              >
              > Well done figures. As Dizzy Dean used to say - "it ain't braggin if you
              can
              > do it."
              >
              > How long does it take you to do a figure like the ones in the photo?
              >
              > -EJL

              Personaly, I will take about a month do to a figure, but then I only do it
              as a hobby, and don't use time saving tachniques, such as dollies yet. I
              prefer to go more for the quality, not quantity, but that's because I sculpt
              them for display, and I have the time on my hands.

              Riki
            • Richard Marchant
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 18, 1999
                > From: "Fredrik" <Svensson.Es97b.VASASKOLAN@...>
                >
                > Well, I'm one of the new guys so I guess i'll introduce myself.
                >
                > Name's Fedrik Svensson, I live in Gefle, Sweden, 18 years of age.
                > My sculpting experiences consist of adding some green stuff to
                > Games Workshop minis and assembling some vinyl recast figures.
                >
                > As for questions, I don't think i've come that far yet.. if someone
                > has any tips on how to avoid all the inevitable beginner's mistakes,
                > I would accept them with open arms.

                As long as you follow basic advice, like remembering to use armetures, you
                should be fine. The main mistake that someone who is inexperianced can make,
                I think, is getting the scale of the body parts right, but practice makes
                perfect :o)

                Riki
              • David Drage
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 18, 1999
                  I sculpt figures at speed because I am paid for it and time is money. This
                  in no way affects the quality. If it did the companies I sculpt for would
                  not me pay for my figures.

                  Dollies are not cutting corners, they simply make life alot easier.

                  If I could I would spend alot longer on some figures, but I find it is just
                  as easy to over work a figure as it is to under work it. You have to draw a
                  line somewhere, and if this is due to a deadline all the better. I certainly
                  work much better under a tight deadline.