Sculping a likeness in miniature

  • general_cato_orcslayer
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 26, 2013
      Has anyone done much work with sculpting likenesses of real people?  If so, have any tips or tricks you'd care to share?  I have been toying with idea of doing a couple of these but I have no experience with doing likenesses at any scale, let alone a small one (like 32mm).  I just cannot seem to go for it and I'm looking for a bit of inspiration.

      -Dave
    • Dave Fredericks
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 26, 2013

        Think of it as a caricature. Look at the most prominent features and face shape and concentrate on getting those right. If you do get them right, the other areas are a bit more forgiving I find

        Sent with AquaMail for Android
        http://www.aqua-mail.com

      • Harry Coit
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 26, 2013
          I do likenesses and the first step is to be confident in your anatomy to begin with.  If you are, then you can develop a likeness based on the person's features and stay true.

          As with any other technique it requires practice, practice practice and the willingness to make mistakes.

          I would suggest Fimo or something similar because you can continue working on it as long as you want, including leaving and coming back.  Then bake it when you are satisfied.

          I have done likenesses using ProCreate, but not so much with 'green stuff' because the mellowing changes the look and I end up with a nice face that looks nothing like the person.

          I hope that helps.
          Keep Sculpting!

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Dec 26, 2013, at 2:51 PM, Dave Fredericks <ukfreddybear@...> wrote:

          Think of it as a caricature. Look at the most prominent features and face shape and concentrate on getting those right. If you do get them right, the other areas are a bit more forgiving I find

          Sent with AquaMail for Android
          http://www.aqua-mail.com

        • mrshortcutz
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 26, 2013

            To add to what has already been said, I have found that when sculpting caricature heads it is most important bring out the inner character/personality of the subject than just exaggerate the facial features themselves.  Might be worth keeping in mind when sculpting realistic faces as well.  :)