Re: [1listSculpting] Brick Work

  • Evyn MacDude
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 20, 2013
      Well, when I did a similar project I used Polymer Clay rather than
      ceramics, so I would have more consistent firing/curing characteristics. If
      I were going to modify an existing tile I probably would use a dremel to
      carve out space for the new detail and then sculpt said detail in with
      Magic Sculpt or Milliput fine or the like, though greenstuff/brownstuff or
      a mix of the two would also work in a pinch.

      You might want to go fish around the HirstArts page as they do a lot of
      similar work. http://www.hirstarts.com/

      --
      Evyn

    • Lane Shutt
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 21, 2013
        la.realite.verte@...> wrote:

        >> **
        >>

        >> Hello all, i have been messing around with sculpting some things and
        >> getting the hang of it. Well i just acquired some actual tools and was
        >> wondering about sculpting bricks into the wall to sort of match my Dwarven
        >> Forge stuff ... My problem is short of actually squishing out individual
        >> bricks (which is VERY time consuming) im having a hard time carving grooves
        >> into a large piece of clay and making it not look like ive just done it
        >> with an x-acto

        You may also want to try using Balsa Foam.

        --
        Lane
      • paul snyder
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 21, 2013
          I am wondering if you would be able to use little stones to get the "look" you are going for. Has anyone done this with Fimo or any type of oven bake clay to make small buildings or stone walls? does anyone know if that will work or if it will change firing time? I would not do it with Green stuff as that would likely be costly but Fimo or super sculpy would be relatively inexpensive to use as the "concrete" to hold the stones together and you could get a color that would require little painting. You could just go outside for the stones. Granted I have not tried this but I am pretty sure it would work for some circumstances. Has anyone tried this? I think the only downside is that it might be heavy.
          Another way to do it would be to make a mold of the original or I would suggest a one sided "press in" mold that you could just press into the walls you are working on. I would just make sure the ends of the mold line up so there are no discernible lines. kind of like a stamp. It just popped into my head that a small rolling pin type stamp would be good at this too. then there would be no delineation although there might be some repetition after a while. I might try this method as well. You might have to just connect the tops of the walls. I would use something like instamold to do this as it does not stick to most modeling clays and would be quick to try out.

          ________________________________
          mailto:la.realite.verte%40gmail.com> wrote:

          >> **
          >>

          >> Hello all, i have been messing around with sculpting some things and
          >> getting the hang of it. Well i just acquired some actual tools and was
          >> wondering about sculpting bricks into the wall to sort of match my Dwarven
          >> Forge stuff ... My problem is short of actually squishing out individual
          >> bricks (which is VERY time consuming) im having a hard time carving grooves
          >> into a large piece of clay and making it not look like ive just done it
          >> with an x-acto

          You may also want to try using Balsa Foam.

          --
          Lane

        • pabloescobear
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 21, 2013
            There are a couple of ways that I've done stone work in the past.

            I have used fimo to make bases. When I have the size laid out, I make the brick lines in it with an exacto knife. Once that's done, I use a sculpting tool to make the cracks wider. When I do this, I'm not too careful and making sure that I'm doing it in a perfectly straight line since brick roads are never perfect. After that's done, you can roll some stones over top of it to give the bricks some texture. Then you bake it and have a nice cobblestone base.

            When I make walls for my terrain, I use foamcore board. Foamcore is a piece of foam sandwiched between two pieces of poster board. It takes some time to do, but you peel the paper off of the foam, and once that is done you repeat the same process as above. This works very good for walls. Just remember that spray paint will melt foam, so if you're going to spray paint it, cover it in a few coats of watered down white glue.

          • Rob H @ Gmail
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 21, 2013
              I have heard that using Balsa Foam with the correct sized brass tubing
              works wonders.

              On 6/21/2013 5:41 AM, Lane Shutt wrote:

              > On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 1:13 PM, crimson_king_of_the_tower <
              > la.realite.verte@... <mailto:la.realite.verte%40gmail.com>> wrote:
              > >
              > >> **
              > >>

              > >> Hello all, i have been messing around with sculpting some things and
              > >> getting the hang of it. Well i just acquired some actual tools and was
              > >> wondering about sculpting bricks into the wall to sort of match my
              > Dwarven
              > >> Forge stuff ... My problem is short of actually squishing out
              > individual
              > >> bricks (which is VERY time consuming) im having a hard time carving
              > grooves
              > >> into a large piece of clay and making it not look like ive just done it
              > >> with an x-acto
              >
              > You may also want to try using Balsa Foam.
              > ._,___

            • Lane Shutt
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 22, 2013
                On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 02:07:28 -0400, you wrote:

                >I have heard that using Balsa Foam with the correct sized brass tubing
                >works wonders.

                First time I saw Balsa Foam used was a guy making a ruined wall.
                Imagine a brick wall covered in plaster which is cracked and large
                chunks fallen off revealing the brick. There were also raw damaged
                edges on the wall. IIRC he carved it using a toothpick and a spoon
                (for the plaster).

                --
                Lane
              • foxcymru
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 23, 2013
                  Hi,

                  Just do a search for Linka or Hirst arts on ebay and you may save yourself a lot of time and money....

                  IF you are a purist (like me) I have found that the soapstone blocks used for marking metal when welding are really great for sculpting and (used to be) pretty cheap.

                  Checking the search on ebay there's also a TACCO brand now but I have never used it.

                  Hirst Arts are more than a little big for my liking and Linka is a big HO/OO scale for railway modelling both moulds for plaster.

                  Have fun,

                  Jon

                  P.S. Tools for soapstone, the wife hides her nail stuff if it's mentioned and blunt craft knives work well..... scraping rather than cutting/chipping saves mistakes.

                  --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "crimson_king_of_the_tower" <la.realite.verte@...> wrote:

                  > Hello all, i have been messing around with sculpting some things and getting the hang of it. Well i just acquired some actual tools and was wondering about sculpting bricks into the wall to sort of match my Dwarven Forge stuff (im sure alot of you know what that is). Keep in mind its not to resell or anything i just want some custom pieces to go with what i've already got. My problem is short of actually squishing out individual bricks (which is VERY time consuming) im having a hard time carving grooves into a large piece of clay and making it not look like ive just done it with an x-acto. Can anyone help me out with techniques or tips anything is appreciated? Thanks in advance and sorry for the drawn out post lol.

                • maxmelig
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 23, 2013
                    I really like Hirst Arts Castlemolds for customs to go with my Dwarven Forge. http://www.hirstarts.com/

                    --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "crimson_king_of_the_tower" <la.realite.verte@...> wrote:

                    > Hello all, i have been messing around with sculpting some things and getting the hang of it. Well i just acquired some actual tools and was wondering about sculpting bricks into the wall to sort of match my Dwarven Forge stuff (im sure alot of you know what that is). Keep in mind its not to resell or anything i just want some custom pieces to go with what i've already got. My problem is short of actually squishing out individual bricks (which is VERY time consuming) im having a hard time carving grooves into a large piece of clay and making it not look like ive just done it with an x-acto. Can anyone help me out with techniques or tips anything is appreciated? Thanks in advance and sorry for the drawn out post lol.

                  • wpalladino
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 23, 2013
                      There exists some rolls with bricks carved. My wife bought it for cake decoration :)
                      If you have a long surface and you wish to cover it, I think you could use it.
                      Walter.

                      --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "crimson_king_of_the_tower" <la.realite.verte@...> wrote:

                      > Hello all, i have been messing around with sculpting some things and getting the hang of it. Well i just acquired some actual tools and was wondering about sculpting bricks into the wall to sort of match my Dwarven Forge stuff (im sure alot of you know what that is). Keep in mind its not to resell or anything i just want some custom pieces to go with what i've already got. My problem is short of actually squishing out individual bricks (which is VERY time consuming) im having a hard time carving grooves into a large piece of clay and making it not look like ive just done it with an x-acto. Can anyone help me out with techniques or tips anything is appreciated? Thanks in advance and sorry for the drawn out post lol.

                    • crimson_king_of_the_tower
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 24, 2013
                        thank you all for the info its all very helpful i think for my next project im going to look into that roller