Re: 3D sculpting software

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 19, 2013
      I've posted a link to a head I've sculpted in zbrush. The only thing I've found is that this level of detail will not translate to a 28mm figure (pretty sure 54mm would be ok though). I recently had 2 figures printed which were different but ended up looking almost the same once the printing process was complete.

      Link to my image is:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/diquet/8663205880/in/photostream

      The same level of detail is now obtainable through blender by using multi resolution modifiers and the dynamic topology feature in sculpt mode.

      --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "Tim" <tj.parnell@...> wrote:

      > I have played with Blender and Sculptris. But just that, played about with them - never produced anything yet.
      > I'd be interested to see what people have used?
      > Tim
      >
      > --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, Bobby Jackson <bjackson2000@> wrote:
      > >
      > > ZBrush for me.
      > > Bobby J.
      >

      > > On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 5:18 PM, amarciniszyn <amarciniszyn@> wrote:
      > >
      > > > **
      > > >

      > > > Hi,
      > > >
      > > > I'm new here and wondering if anyone uses a quality 3D sculpting program.
      > > > I've been reading about Freeform from Geomagic. Any thoughts about it or
      > > > other programs?

    • kcontos
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 19, 2013
        Just like hand sculpting in small scale, knowing what detailing to leave off is just as important as what to include. Poster artists, due to the silkscreen techniques and printing process, usually work with limited colors, and have to get the most out of limited detail lines and negative space to create a good, balanced image, which is pretty much what you have to learn to make good minis.

        Knowing what depth of detail is necessary is difficult to gauge in software if you do not have much experience in hand sculpting for production. Take a good look at unpainted production pieces that you like under magnification to get a better idea of the exaggerated detailing you need.

        Take a look at http://fortressfigures.com/kcontos/index.html
        a huge page of links and resources I compiled for this group many years ago. There should be some things there that can help you out, double your money back if you are not satisfied.