Re: 3D sculpting software

  • kcontos
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 18, 2013
      True that, Jon-I've worked in a lot of different fields and eventually realized that most folks do not really want advice, they just want affirmation. The folks who find the 5 day, 40 hour week a grind are often shocked to find out that people who run their own business would consider that a vacation.

      --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "foxcymru" <j.d.skrine@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for the link it was probably understated.....
      >
      > I spent most of my working life running small businesses and although not related to miniatures the situation seems the same.
      >
      > In the whole time helping with advice to people who should have done their homework before investing (usually some relation's) money. I have one lifelong friend of over 25 years.
      >
      > There has been for a long time a culture of entitlement that tends to be more than a little annoying. People wander in off the street with no intention of doing business just to get information and/or advice on the cheap. I even inherited one customer who phoned for quotes every couple of months without ever following through - yes my business had become his estimating department for his other business that was in direct competition with us........
      >
      > Time isn't just money it is the food in one's family's stomachs; the roof over one's head; a happy or unhappy bank manager. If an established business owner gives their time they are being more than nice - If they don't they really don't have to give a reason they are not an NGO with millions in funding to pay for their time.
      >
      > Just think for every real honest person a professional has probably the same ratio of dozens of bad debts, stolen customers, timewasters etc. etc. for the one good guy. AND most of the problem customers do not intend at the start to be rip off merchants.
      >
      > May I also take this opportunity to thank the professionals who give their time and advice on this forum. It really has given me food for thought and stopped me wasting lots of money (She who must be obeyed also sends her thanks for this as she likes her food).
      >
      > Best wishes to all,
      >
      > Jon
      >
      > P.S. As things have quietened down a bit I may even be able to get back to sculpting something this year..... with luck!
      >
      > --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "kcontos" <kcontos@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I like ZBrush-it's not cheap, and like any high end software, it takes time, practice and a lot of patience to learn. If you do not have any experience hand sculpting for actual miniature production and are unfamiliar with the molding and casting processes and materials, you can waste a lot of time and effort on a project that may not work. I recently posted a cautionary tale concerning those who think it is an easy way to produce miniatures- I suggest you take a look before spending money on any software and hardware upgrades:
      > >
      > > http://fortressfigures.com/kcontos/before.html

    • Dan
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 19, 2013
        I've posted a link to a head I've sculpted in zbrush. The only thing I've found is that this level of detail will not translate to a 28mm figure (pretty sure 54mm would be ok though). I recently had 2 figures printed which were different but ended up looking almost the same once the printing process was complete.

        Link to my image is:
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/diquet/8663205880/in/photostream

        The same level of detail is now obtainable through blender by using multi resolution modifiers and the dynamic topology feature in sculpt mode.

        --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "Tim" <tj.parnell@...> wrote:

        > I have played with Blender and Sculptris. But just that, played about with them - never produced anything yet.
        > I'd be interested to see what people have used?
        > Tim
        >
        > --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, Bobby Jackson <bjackson2000@> wrote:
        > >
        > > ZBrush for me.
        > > Bobby J.
        >

        > > On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 5:18 PM, amarciniszyn <amarciniszyn@> wrote:
        > >
        > > > **
        > > >

        > > > Hi,
        > > >
        > > > I'm new here and wondering if anyone uses a quality 3D sculpting program.
        > > > I've been reading about Freeform from Geomagic. Any thoughts about it or
        > > > other programs?

      • kcontos
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 19, 2013
          Just like hand sculpting in small scale, knowing what detailing to leave off is just as important as what to include. Poster artists, due to the silkscreen techniques and printing process, usually work with limited colors, and have to get the most out of limited detail lines and negative space to create a good, balanced image, which is pretty much what you have to learn to make good minis.

          Knowing what depth of detail is necessary is difficult to gauge in software if you do not have much experience in hand sculpting for production. Take a good look at unpainted production pieces that you like under magnification to get a better idea of the exaggerated detailing you need.

          Take a look at http://fortressfigures.com/kcontos/index.html
          a huge page of links and resources I compiled for this group many years ago. There should be some things there that can help you out, double your money back if you are not satisfied.