Re: [1listSculpting] ProCreate, Wax #5 and Home made tool- First Impressions

  • Robert Grimley
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 10, 2013
      Funnily enough, after reading the initial post in this thread I tried a
      2:1 mix of Procreate to green Kneadatite and liked the results. Like
      most of those comments made previously I like the stiffness and edge
      qualities of Procreate but struggle with joins and the less sticky
      quality. The mix works very well and pushes easily. One quality not
      previously mentioned which was retained in my blend is that Procreate
      seems to harden more than Kneadadtite green, a quality that really helps
      in casting where you have the risk of deforming under pressure.

      For the record I was traditionally a greens stuff user and have dabbled
      with Procreate on a few sculpts and generally liked the results.

      I'd be interested to see what you get with your blend.

      On 09/04/2013 21:54, fabet01@... wrote:

      > Procreates greatest advantage is also it's greatest disadvantage. The
      > slightly more stiffer texture does make it smooth better, but doesn't
      > let it blends as well to existing surfaces. The quicker curing time
      > means less time for fussing than Kneadatite.
      >
      > I really like the quality of a 50/50 mixture of Procreate/Kneadatite.
      > It does give the best of both performance-wise worlds (at least for
      > me) . The downside is the resulting color is an unappealing light
      > olive that doesn't reflect light very well. If your sculpting for
      > yourself, it's not really an issue, but when sculpting for a client,
      > it can really bring down the presentation.
      >
      > ---- redkobold <kevinchenevert@...
      > <mailto:kevinchenevert%40mindspring.com>> wrote:
      > > I received my package of ProCreate and a Wax #5 yesterday and got to
      > try them out for about an hour last night.
      > >
      > > Overall, I like Procreate a lot.
      > >
      > > It smoothed easily though I found that it did not seem to blend
      > perfectly with adjacent pieces of uncured putty very easily. A fine
      > line where the two met remained visible.
      > >
      > > ProCreate was imcredibly easy to form into a sharp square edge. This
      > is definitely a time saver over Kneadatite for me.
      > >
      > > It takes sharp detail very well and does not have the spring back
      > (memory) of Kneadatite that drives so many starting sculptors crazy.
      > >
      > > I like Kneadatite and am used to using it and will slowly push a
      > mass of uncured putty around both sides of a shin on an armature to
      > form a calf. Procreate putty seemed like the mass had to be correct
      > and placed more accurately placed. It cannot migrate as far without
      > sort of tearing. Not bad, just different technique for different medium.
      > >
      > > ProCreate was sticky but did not cling to the armature as well as
      > Kneadatite.
      > >
      > > I put the sculpture away while it was still curing so I have not
      > tried to carve, cut or sand it yet.
      > >
      > > I want to experiment with a mixing 3:1 ProCreate with Kneadatite.
      > That may be a perfect mix for me and the habits/technique I have
      > developed with Kneadatite.
      > >
      > > As far as the Wax #5, it works well also but no better than other
      > tools that I already have. My main tool is a narrow (2mm?) smooth
      > spatula with sharpened edged that comes to a rounded point. The #5 is
      > like having that spatula tool and a dull X-acto knife in one.
      > >
      > > I recently made a micro cutting chisel that I am finding very
      > useful. Essentially, if you had a tiny flathead screwdriver and
      > sharpened the flat tip to a knife blade sharpness, you would have the
      > tool. My tool is a nail with the tip reshaped that is held in a lead
      > holder (like a pin vise). I filed it and keep it razor sharp. The tool
      > is good for pressing narrow lines in uncured putty. For cured putty,
      > you can shave/cut tiny narrow areas that cannot be reached as easily
      > or at the correct angle by a long bladed X-Acto knife.
      > >
      > > I will repost all of this on my blog site soon with pictures and
      > notify this group.

    • mrshortcutz
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 14, 2013
        Thanks Redkobold, since you posted this thread I have begun using Procreate in my sculpts. I'm really liking the results.

        Although to be fair, I always feel this way when I start using a new sculpting medium. Time tends to change my views somewhat.

        --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, Robert Grimley <robert.grimley@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > >
        > > > As far as the Wax #5, it works well also but no better than other
        > > tools that I already have. My main tool is a narrow (2mm?) smooth
        > > spatula with sharpened edged that comes to a rounded point. The #5 is
        > > like having that spatula tool and a dull X-acto knife in one.
        > > >
        > > > I recently made a micro cutting chisel that I am finding very
        > > useful. Essentially, if you had a tiny flathead screwdriver and
        > > sharpened the flat tip to a knife blade sharpness, you would have the
        > > tool. My tool is a nail with the tip reshaped that is held in a lead
        > > holder (like a pin vise). I filed it and keep it razor sharp. The tool
        > > is good for pressing narrow lines in uncured putty. For cured putty,
        > > you can shave/cut tiny narrow areas that cannot be reached as easily
        > > or at the correct angle by a long bladed X-Acto knife.
        > > >
        > > > I will repost all of this on my blog site soon with pictures and

      • Stephen
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 19, 2013
          Hi

          I have been useing ProCreate for about three years now and for me it is my main choice putty. I also use Sylmasta A+B putty which set rock hard with about a 2 hour work time. I also mix both to give me different textures. The A+B putties also come 6 different colours too. I only use ProCreate for figures but I use A+B for my terrain work to. I have also just ordered some of Sylmasta's Magic Sculp to have a look and see what like. The problem with stick to armatures of other surfaces as I have said many times here I have resolve with Pritt metal glue applied in a very thin coat, for some reason putty loves the stuff and stick to it fast then you can move it around without it coming away. The glue can also with stand vey high temperatures and no mould maker has reported any issues.
          As for sculpting tools I have some very good dental tools and small rubber shapers, I also got myself some watch makers screw drivers which I modified to my tastes and come in very handy.
          Kind regards
          Stephen