Pill Bottle Sculpting Rig

  • redkobold
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 4, 2013
      I just uploaded a series of images showing a pill bottle I am using as a sculpting rig. So far, it is working out well, though I have only been using it 2 days. The cool part is that the bottle has a reversible lid for geriatric or arthritic patients. This allows me to store away and protect my sculpt between sessions. I can also store any extra bits related to the project in the bottle.

      You can probably get a bottle with a cap like this from grandma or your local pharmacy. It is sometimes called an "easy open cap" or "multi-function reversible cap".

      See images at:

    • poshgoblin
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 5, 2013
        nice rig - thanks for sharing it!

        I just uploaded a series of images showing a pill bottle I am using as a sculpting rig. So far, it is working out well, though I have only been using it 2 days. The cool part is that the bottle has a reversible lid for geriatric or arthritic patients. This allows me to store away and protect my sculpt between sessions. I can also store any extra bits related to the project in the bottle.

        You can probably get a bottle with a cap like this from grandma or your local pharmacy. It is sometimes called an "easy open cap" or "multi-function reversible cap".

        See images at:

      • mrshortcutz
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 5, 2013
          Now that's a nifty idea, Redkobold.

          Thanks for sharing.

          --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "redkobold" <kevinchenevert@...> wrote:

          > I just uploaded a series of images showing a pill bottle I am using as a sculpting rig. So far, it is working out well, though I have only been using it 2 days. The cool part is that the bottle has a reversible lid for geriatric or arthritic patients. This allows me to store away and protect my sculpt between sessions. I can also store any extra bits related to the project in the bottle.
          >
          > You can probably get a bottle with a cap like this from grandma or your local pharmacy. It is sometimes called an "easy open cap" or "multi-function reversible cap".
          >
          > See images at:

        • Brian
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 7, 2013
            That's pretty cool. Couple questions, though:

            Do you find that having the wire bent/looped underneath the cap holds the armature in place tightly enough to begin work, or does it seem a little loose til you actually get putty on the legs/feet?

            With only one set of wire holes in the cap, do you find your poses slightly limited (as there's no way to do a wide-legged stance)?

            Just curious, since I have a couple of these things floating around :)

            -Brian

            --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, poshgoblin <poshgoblin@...> wrote:

            > nice rig - thanks for sharing it!

          • redkobold
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 7, 2013
              I put a drop of superglue at the wire holes through the cap and some putty at the feet early in to keep the dollie standing up stiffly enough to sculpt against.

              As far as the holes, you can pop some additional ones fairly easy. On the first rig I drilled two pairs of holes but the cap plastic is fairly soft and on the second rig I just used a pointy pick to makes the holes.

              --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <kaylmaclaren@...> wrote:

              > That's pretty cool. Couple questions, though:
              >
              > Do you find that having the wire bent/looped underneath the cap holds the armature in place tightly enough to begin work, or does it seem a little loose til you actually get putty on the legs/feet?
              >
              > With only one set of wire holes in the cap, do you find your poses slightly limited (as there's no way to do a wide-legged stance)?
              >
              > Just curious, since I have a couple of these things floating around :)
              >
              > -Brian
              >
              > --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, poshgoblin <poshgoblin@> wrote:
              > >
              > > nice rig - thanks for sharing it!

            • Mark Mark Hudgens
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 8, 2013
                Hello all,

                I don't see why this problem can't be solved by simply cutting a piece of thin wood and placing it up inside the inside of the cap lid this way when you drill your holes it will be into something solid. You can then have as many holes as you want.

                Just a thought great idea by the way.