Re: Bobby J. and Jason W. and others, What do you think of ProCreate

  • Dave Fredericks
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 28, 2013
      I made the switch from Green stuff to ProCreate a couple of years ago and
      haven't looked back. I find it a lot easier to blend new putty over old with
      this stuff. If you've ever mixed green stuff with Milliput, it's a similar
      texture to that. Curing time is about the same I'd say. Holds edges better
      than GS, but still not as well as Brown stuff. I thoroughly recommend it.

      Dave Fredericks

      Majestic Bear Miniatures

    • pendix100
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 29, 2013
        Actually I recently got a pack of Pro-crete in the mail and have begun experimenting with it. Honestly, when I had first heard about it I was pretty sceptical about what I was hearing. However, now that I've had an opportunity to work with it, well, I'm impressed: It holds an edge better than green-stuff (which makes really fine stuff, and inorganic stuff easier), and is easier to file and drill once it has set. Plus (I really doubted this when I first heard it) the grey colour make it easier to see fine details.

        Of-course it's not all gravy; it's not as sticky as green-stuff, which can make applying some things a pain, and it costs about twice as much as my current batch of green-stuff did when I bought it (though this might just be a supplier issue). I have found that in some cases; where I'm working on an area I want a really clear distinction as to where one part ends and another begins, using green-stuff for one part and pro-crete for the other makes it very clear to see.

        This is just my personal experience, so YMMV, but I, personaly, am a convert.

        - Stephen
        http://pendix.deviantart.com/

        --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin" <kevinchenevert@...> wrote:

        > I have seen in the Reaper Greens gallery more folks seeming to be using another sculpting medium which I am assuming is ProCreate.
        >
        > There is a sculpting project on my horizon and I am thinking of trying out ProCreate instead of Kneadatite this time.
        >
        > For those of you who have been using ProCreate (or other?) let me know what you think of it as well as some of its physical characteristics.
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        >
        > Kevin Chenevert
        > www.RedKobold.com

      • pendix100
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 31, 2013
          I've been using green-stuff for years, but I'd heard some interesting claims about Pro-crete and decided to get some. I've really warmed to it; it holds and takes an edge better than green stuff, and the colour can make it easier to see fine details (that was not a claim I'd believed until I saw for myself). I've even taken to using it in combination with green-stuff to create a strong contrast between two areas so as I can better see the division while sculpting.

          It does have some drawbacks; mainly it's much less sticky than green-stuff, and sometimes it's very hard to get it to adhere, even to itself.

          - Stephen
          http://pendix.deviantart.com/

          --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin" <kevinchenevert@...> wrote:

          > I have seen in the Reaper Greens gallery more folks seeming to be using another sculpting medium which I am assuming is ProCreate.
          >
          > There is a sculpting project on my horizon and I am thinking of trying out ProCreate instead of Kneadatite this time.
          >
          > For those of you who have been using ProCreate (or other?) let me know what you think of it as well as some of its physical characteristics.
          >
          > Thanks in advance.
          >
          > Kevin Chenevert
          > www.RedKobold.com

        • emu20202000
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 2, 2013
            I tend to do the build-up on my armatures and bulking with green stuff (cheaper and stickier) and then going into details with ProCreate.

            -Eli

            I've been using green-stuff for years, but I'd heard some interesting claims about Pro-crete and decided to get some. I've really warmed to it; it holds and takes an edge better than green stuff, and the colour can make it easier to see fine details (that was not a claim I'd believed until I saw for myself). I've even taken to using it in combination with green-stuff to create a strong contrast between two areas so as I can better see the division while sculpting.

            It does have some drawbacks; mainly it's much less sticky than green-stuff, and sometimes it's very hard to get it to adhere, even to itself.

            - Stephen
            http://pendix.deviantart.com/

            --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com , "Kevin" <kevinchenevert@...> wrote:

            > I have seen in the Reaper Greens gallery more folks seeming to be using another sculpting medium which I am assuming is ProCreate.
            >
            > There is a sculpting project on my horizon and I am thinking of trying out ProCreate instead of Kneadatite this time.
            >
            > For those of you who have been using ProCreate (or other?) let me know what you think of it as well as some of its physical characteristics.
            >
            > Thanks in advance.
            >
            > Kevin Chenevert
            > www.RedKobold.com

          • redkobold
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 2, 2013
              Thanks everyone for your feedback on ProCreate. I will be placing my order shortly.

              Any recommendations for a US supplier?

              --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, emu2020@... wrote:

              > I tend to do the build-up on my armatures and bulking with green stuff (cheaper and stickier) and then going into details with ProCreate.
              >

              > -Eli

            • redkobold
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
                I went ahead and ordered a pack of ProCreate from brigadegames.com

                They also carry a wax #5 that I went ahead and ordered.

                I started on my project last night using kneadatite. When the ProCreate comes in I will start a second figure and sculpt both side by side and report back.

                Kevin

                --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "redkobold" <kevinchenevert@...> wrote:

                > Thanks everyone for your feedback on ProCreate. I will be placing my order shortly.
                >
                > Any recommendations for a US supplier?
                >
                > --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, emu2020@ wrote:
                > >
                > > I tend to do the build-up on my armatures and bulking with green stuff (cheaper and stickier) and then going into details with ProCreate.
                > >

                > > -Eli

              • Jeffrey Rodman
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
                  You can also order procreate direct from the manufacturer "Krafmark" here.
                  http://www.kraftmark.biz/kraft.procreate.html