Re: [1listSculpting] Re: What to Charge?

  • poshgoblin
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 12 1:43 PM
      Pricing is one of the most difficult things to work out. I started working at the standard (for them) freelance rate for a large company, and it was barely worthwhile for me to do. The experience was invaluable, however, and the advice and criticism I received helped to develop my work.

      Different companies will offer differing rates, and if you are trying to make it workable as a wage you have to be mindful of what you are getting paid per hour! Pricing your work too low might make you more desirable in some ways, but can soon grind away at your feeling of self worth if you are scraping by. Similarly, you might well agree a commission for a client priced too high, you might well receive a thanks for the good work, but you can bet that you won't get re-hired by that individual if the work is substandard.

      Working for individuals helped me to gauge what real market rates were and work out realistic prices, and to budget time. It also helps to ask clients what they have paid other sculptors. The reputation, skill and style of that sculptor has to be taken into consideration, but it will give you a rough idea of what you should be pitching at - but be realistic! There is a reason they can charge what they do, and it is after honing their craft over a long time, and going through exactly the same process you are.

      Tim and Derek are both spot on - and the time sheet is essential (and something I should be much better at doing)

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 13 5:42 PM
        Hey all,
        Thanks for taking the time to give me such in-depth answers.

        I've taken Tim's advise and set my fee around the £120 mark which may vary depending on complexity of the model. From here I can start to build my work up and develop a name for myself. I will try to work with individuals to begin with. This will give me more varied work and in the long run allow me to gage the market more accurately.

        Thanks for the timesheet Derek! I'll definitely put it to good use with my next commissions.

        All the best guys, I don't feel as "in the dark" as I was when I began this thread.

        Gus

        --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, poshgoblin <poshgoblin@...> wrote:

        > Pricing is one of the most difficult things to work out. I started working at the standard (for them) freelance rate for a large company, and it was barely worthwhile for me to do. The experience was invaluable, however, and the advice and criticism I received helped to develop my work.
        >
        > Different companies will offer differing rates, and if you are trying to make it workable as a wage you have to be mindful of what you are getting paid per hour! Pricing your work too low might make you more desirable in some ways, but can soon grind away at your feeling of self worth if you are scraping by. Similarly, you might well agree a commission for a client priced too high, you might well receive a thanks for the good work, but you can bet that you won't get re-hired by that individual if the work is substandard.
        >
        > Working for individuals helped me to gauge what real market rates were and work out realistic prices, and to budget time. It also helps to ask clients what they have paid other sculptors. The reputation, skill and style of that sculptor has to be taken into consideration, but it will give you a rough idea of what you should be pitching at - but be realistic! There is a reason they can charge what they do, and it is after honing their craft over a long time, and going through exactly the same process you are.
        >

        > Tim and Derek are both spot on - and the time sheet is essential (and something I should be much better at doing)

      • Tim
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 14 9:27 AM
          Hope it works out for you. Like I said, I'm not a sculptor - though maybe one day.....
          The timesheet idea is totally genius.
          Tim

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 14 1:26 PM
            good luck with that - don't forget to build up an easily accessible portfoilo as you progress - a blog might be fine, but if it is not well structured no one will want to trawl through all the posts.